Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses car lot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents bought two vehicles truly made-to-order: a '61 Chevrolet and a '66 F-100. Several days after the Chevy order had been submitted, my father changed his mind about which engine to order. The salesman talked him out of the change. I wondered why, considering the change would've been from the base engine to an optional one, and would've brought a slightly higher commission for him.

My Subaru and Mazda weren't made to order, but those dealers ordered my choice of color and trim level combination, which they didn't have in stock. The Subaru salesman talked me out of my first choice color, which in hindsight was good advice.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
2nd was in February when I ordered my Mustang. Ordered in the middle of Feb and was driving it at middle of April, almost 8 weeks to the day. Didn't get talked into what they had on the lot as it was not even close to what I wanted. Placed the order and I got exactly what I wanted.

Sweet, what did you get?

Yes, because wife wants a certain combination of color. Ordering cost more in the end because it is not something they want to clear out of the inventory, like by around $2k, but it is a model year newer instead of year end clearance.

Father in law was trying to save money when he order, by removing some features like sun roof and power features / packages while still keeping the XLE badge. The car is probably going to be around for so long it doesn't matter on resell anyways.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses buying off dealer lot ?
You picked the exact options and skipped options you never wanted.
Did dealership try and get you to buy what they had on their lot and make a big fuss about ordering what they don't have ?

I've owned 17 cars in my life all new ones and NONE came from the stock the dealer had, they were all custom ordered.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Originally Posted By: itguy08
2nd was in February when I ordered my Mustang. Ordered in the middle of Feb and was driving it at middle of April, almost 8 weeks to the day. Didn't get talked into what they had on the lot as it was not even close to what I wanted. Placed the order and I got exactly what I wanted.

Sweet, what did you get?

18 GT Premium, 6 speed, Lightning Blue, Safe and Smart, digital dash, Active Valve exhaust, and security package. It's been 18 years since my last Mustang and have about 2500 on it and loving it.

Last edited:
I've ordered before.

Last one even had "Built especially for - my name" On the window sticker.

It was exactly as I wanted. No, the dealer didn't try to get me to add anything.

The biggest issue with ordering are incentives, you get what is offered at the time of delivery and not when you place the order.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The biggest issue with ordering are incentives, you get what is offered at the time of delivery and not when you place the order.

totally untrue, my freind owns a cdjr store, have ordered two cars last 3 yrs from them, overland and srt, when you plunk down the deposit, you get whichever is higher, the current incentive if any or the day you pick and pay, last year the incentive increased from 1500 on day I ordered in April to 2000 in May when it came in, I got the 2K$. if the rebates went away I still would of got the 1500. chrysler changed the policy on this about 5 yrs ago.

on the Overland I got the rebate when I ordered and my buddy put me in and got me a golden ticket for another 500$. He told me dealers who have good customers whom they think might in the market will put their name in and many times chrysler will send them a 500$ golden ticket if they buy a new car, I got one 4 days before the Jeep came in, kind of nice when you a few bucks back you didnt expect

Originally Posted By: VNTS

totally untrue, my freind owns a cdjr store, have ordered two cars last 3 yrs from them, overland and srt, when you plunk down the deposit, you get whichever is higher, the current incentive if any or the day you pick and pay, last year the incentive increased from 1500 on day I ordered in April to 2000 in May when it came in, I got the 2K$. if the rebates went away I still would of got the 1500. chrysler changed the policy on this about 5 yrs ago.

on the Overland I got the rebate when I ordered and my buddy put me in and got me a golden ticket for another 500$. He told me dealers who have good customers whom they think might in the market will put their name in and many times chrysler will send them a 500$ golden ticket if they buy a new car, I got one 4 days before the Jeep came in, kind of nice when you a few bucks back you didnt expect

Wasn't my experience ordering a GM, they were clear it was the rebates in effect at time of delivery. Luckily, they were the same.

Yes, highly recommended: 2017 Tacoma, TRD, w/6MT

- Up Side: Got exactly what I wanted, nothing I didn't and at a super fair price, more so considering I didn't buy hundreds or thousands of options or packages I didn't want.

- Challenge: I had to go thru like 6 (Toyota) dealers until I found one who wanted to play ball. All tried to push the ones on the floor or the ones they thought they had coming in. Then said they could request a trade from another dealer (I was 99% sure there was no exact match within 500 miles). After that, most then wanted full sticker to order one to spec.

- Little bit of a waiting game and risk. I was told between 8 and 12 weeks, and we would know maybe the day before it came in. It turned out to be exactly 8 weeks.

I've ordered cars and bikes. There were no incentives of any kind on the vehicles I've ordered, as they were low production, and thus high demand models.

I specced out a Camaro many years ago. The dealership had a checklist of options. There were a lot of them to choose from. I bought a Honda which had no options to choose from. There were trim levels but each trim level but no options at each trim level. Honda made 3 trim levels so other than color, 3 trims. The Chevy had hundreds of different combinations of options.

Anyone ever do European delivery? I believe Audi, BMW and Mercedes all do it. I know with Mercedes they do about 7% off MSRP and sometimes depending on the model/dealer/time of year they can go as high as 11-12% off MSRP. I think they normally throw in 2 weeks to a months worth of tags and insurance and you get to drive around Europe in a brand new car instead of a rental.

Wasn't my experience ordering a GM, they were clear it was the rebates in effect at time of delivery. Luckily, they were the same.

With my Corvette I also got the rebate that was offered for the month of December (when I took delivery), not the rebate for September (when I ordered)

Back around 1994, I ordered a new Dodge Dakota pickup with the options I wanted. It took a $50 deposit to do so. I lost interest about 2 weeks later and cancelled. Got my $50 back much to the dismay of my sales guy. I cancelled because I found a new Chevy 1500 W/T on a chevy lot that I liked for less $.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses buying off dealer lot ?

You picked the exact options and skipped options you never wanted.
Did dealership try and get you to buy what they had on their lot and make a big fuss about ordering what they don't have ?

I ordered my 318ti, and I was actually encouraged to do so. I wanted the Club Sport model with only two of the three available options(I did not want a hole in the roof). I didn't order my Mazdaspeed 3, but my dealer found a car equipped exactly the way with respect to color and trim level.

When I worked at BMW we did not push current inventory if a customer wanted to order a car. Wait times for any of the trucks built in SC took only about 2-3 weeks from order to delivery while cars ordered from Europe took an average of 3 months. Contrast that with the current wait times for a JL Wrangler(12 weeks) and Renegade(6 months).

VW lost me as a customer in 2007 when the Mk5 GTI was garnering all of the accolades from the enthusiast press; the nitwits at my local dealer acted like ordering a GTI to my specifications had a difficulty level akin to achieving cold fusion. That's why I went with the MS3 mentioned above...

Originally Posted By: Speedbird001
Yes, highly recommended: 2017 Tacoma, TRD, w/6MT
- Up Side: Got exactly what I wanted, nothing I didn't and at a super fair price, more so considering I didn't buy hundreds or thousands of options or packages I didn't want.
- Challenge: I had to go thru like 6 (Toyota) dealers until I found one who wanted to play ball. All tried to push the ones on the floor or the ones they thought they had coming in. Then said they could request a trade from another dealer (I was 99% sure there was no exact match within 500 miles). After that, most then wanted full sticker to order one to spec.
- Little bit of a waiting game and risk. I was told between 8 and 12 weeks, and we would know maybe the day before it came in. It turned out to be exactly 8 weeks.

Is it just Toyota that does this stuff?
As I mentioned in my post above, I had some combination of Toyota, the dealer, and/or the salesman really messing with me when I ordered my RAV6...supposedly to force me up to a similar Lexus.

When my wife decided she wanted a Subaru Crosstrek, her only requirements were that it was the orange color, and that it has a sunroof. Dealer didn't have one, but ordered one from a different dealer. Smooth process.

Twice. The last time my wife and I ordered a Mazda MPV optioned the way we wanted. My brother worked for Ford at the time so we got the employees discount. The other time I ordered an '87 Buick Regal T-Type (a GN in disguise). I was an NCOA member which got me a big discount with GM. Back then you could still order individual options, as they hadn't started doing "option packages" yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back