Any tips for preventing being scamed on a forum?

Recently I purchased a new (to me) motorcycle.
I was looking for an accessory, so I approached an online forum asking if anyone had that accessory.
Someone replied they have one and they are willing to part with it for a resonable price.

I did a little digging, and it turns out the seller is also new to the forum (red flag #1).
He then sent some legit pics of the part and mentioned he's asking about 40% less than it was when new (red flag #2).

To keep from being scammed, I was going to ask him to take a pic of the accessory with a tag/something that indicates today's date and local time (to prove it's authenticity, and that he didn't just grab some random internet pics of the part). I was also going to ask if he's ok with using paypal?

Anything else i can do to prevent being scammed?

That’s simple:
eBay or any retailer that takes credit cards

We get free ones on the driveway.

I get a weekly thing in the mail, but I haven't seen anyone get a newspaper delivery in the neighborhood I'm in. We used to get a yellow pages, it went right from the driveway into the trash can. Haven't seen one of those in a few years.

At some point you have to trust people, but if they wont take a US Postal Service Money Order via USPS mail then i'm out unless it is long standing member and well respected member.

Ask yourself why would someone just list on a forum where maybe a few dozen people may see it vs. Ebay where thousands may look at it from all over the world?
The item wasn't listed on the forum. The OP asked if anyone had the needed part for sale.

I was looking for an accessory, so I approached an online forum asking if anyone had that accessory.

BITOG has a For Sale / Want To Buy section on the forum. I bought a used computer from a forum member here.

My gut is it seems legit-- I have some random stuff I don't advertise but if it came up in conversation that someone needed it I'd probably give a more than fair price.

The stuff I do advertise is somewhat esoteric and I get lowballers and other annoyances, so the ads time out without a sale happening. And then I don't renew them.

Recently I purchased a new (to me) motorcycle.
Someone replied they have one and they are willing to part with it for a resonable price.

I did a little digging, and it turns out the seller is also new to the forum (red flag #1).
He then sent some legit pics of the part and mentioned he's asking about 40% less than it was when new (red flag #2).

To keep from being scammed, I was going to ask him to take a pic of the accessory with a tag/something that indicates today's date and local time (to prove it's authenticity, and that he didn't just grab some random internet pics of the part). I was also going to ask if he's ok with using paypal?

Anything else i can do to prevent being scammed?
Yeah, dont buy on a forum. E-Bay is safest, next meeting in a public place like a police station from a Facebook or craigslist ad.
So many are scammed, no reason for it. Trust no one and you will be ok.

Back