Any tips for preventing being scamed on a forum?

Recently I purchased a new (to me) motorcycle.
I was looking for an accessory, so I approached an online forum asking if anyone had that accessory.
Someone replied they have one and they are willing to part with it for a resonable price.

I did a little digging, and it turns out the seller is also new to the forum (red flag #1).
He then sent some legit pics of the part and mentioned he's asking about 40% less than it was when new (red flag #2).

To keep from being scammed, I was going to ask him to take a pic of the accessory with a tag/something that indicates today's date and local time (to prove it's authenticity, and that he didn't just grab some random internet pics of the part). I was also going to ask if he's ok with using paypal?

Anything else i can do to prevent being scammed?

Can’t be too careful in this day and time however how did you expect to follow up with the deal? Sometime you have to go with your gut feeling. Having said that, I just sold a $200 pair of Harley leather electric gloves like new never used with original box and instructions for $80 on FBM and the deal went seamlessly. Met him at a local Home Depot and talked for about 15 minutes about motorcycles and riding. We met in a busy public place and I had my 380 in my pocket. As usual, YMMV

Way too much of that going on with the facebook groups lately. I always go to these peoples profiles and see if they are legit. If they only have a couple pictures and their profile picture only has one or two likes they are a scammer. Also always seems to be someone with two first names.

On a other forum, members had to put their name and date on a piece of paper in all the photos.

Hard to say. How busy is this forum? How new is his profile on said forum? How much money? If its more than you can afford to loose, then ya, I wouldn't buy from a forum. Flip side is I have gotten some great deals on forums.

Ask if he will list it through ebay as buy it now, with the buy it now price including all the ebay fees on top of what the current offer is.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Hopefully this thread will be able to serve as a reminder to anyone reading it.

The amount isn't much, but I just don't like losing money if I don't have to.
The seller has asked for the funds to be sent to a different name and email address as "friends and family" with paypal (ya, riiiight!).
:rolleyes:

Ask yourself why would someone just list on a forum where maybe a few dozen people may see it vs. Ebay where thousands may look at it from all over the world?

Depends on the part but peace of mind. I'd prefer to buy and sell Evo parts on an Evo forum because of the audience. If it was a part for a more common car like the focus, then I'd put it on FB marketplace.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Hopefully this thread will be able to serve as a reminder to anyone reading it.

The amount isn't much, but I just don't like losing money if I don't have to.
The seller has asked for the funds to be sent to a different name and email address as "friends and family" with paypal (ya, riiiight!).
:rolleyes:

Yep, 100% a scam. Can also try an image search with Google to see where he picked the picture up from.

Back