Any Synthetic 10W30 Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second that. 10w30 is definitely not going to effect anything down to 0. This whole cold start stuff has been way blown out of proportion.
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. I saw alot of cold starts on alot thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is your 10w30 Edge an A3/B4?

The Oz Castrol Edge 10W30 is A5/B5 so HTHS < 3.5 cP
But our Castrol Edge 5W30 is A3/B4 with HTHS > 3.5 cP

So for me the 10W30 is the thin oil and the 5W30 is the thick oil.

Don't tell Merk that one. Don't tell him how hard it is to get a 10w-30 synthetic at our Canadian Tire stores, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I second that. 10w30 is definitely not going to effect anything down to 0. This whole cold start stuff has been way blown out of proportion.
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. I saw alot of cold starts on alot thicker oil.

Very true. A local fleet near me uses MS5K 10w30 year around
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I also agree. I used it in my Impala the last oil change, mostly because Walmart was out of PP 5W-30. Our "low" temp this week is in the mid 70's. No worries here about "cold" starts.

As others have noted, no change in any way. No more/less noise, MPG the same, power the same.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I notice a lot of users in warm climate OR only use it in the Summer ? I am due for a oil change and like all that a 10W30 synthetic provides for a GDI engine . Worse case my Winter temps can get down to the teens (F.) for a few days each year but the norm is high 20's to low 30's F. most nights . I know a 10W synthetic should be good down to 0F. but wonder if splitting the M1 10W30 with 2 qrts. of M1 5W20 would provide any noticeable benefit for cold starts - again at the cold start temps I listed above ?

If it makes u feel better 10w30 with some 5w20 is an excellent blend. Both have little viscosity modifiers.
I am probably going to blend pp 10w30 with one quart of pp euro 5w40 this winter. I could even do pp5w20 pp 10w30 and pp5w40 blend.

Running Castrol Edge 10W30 with a Fram Ultra in the Ram in signature that I picked up for 2bucks a quart acouple years ago. The Dodge luvs it & the combo with the Fram Ultra. Then again, my Dodge likes any 10W30 I have ever thrown at it. Plan on running this oil out to 5000 miles, usually run a conventional & change every 3000 miles.

I got some PP 10W30 on sale. Its been dumped into all three of my vehicles during the summer months. If it's on sale, why not--supposedly 10W30 might be better at being shear-resistant, but I hardly flog my vehicles. So if it's on sale, I'll use it, eventually. But I prefer thinner for winter.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Don't tell Merk that one. Don't tell him how hard it is to get a 10w-30 synthetic at our Canadian Tire stores, either.
wink.gif

No doubt, but not just [censored] Tire - even the Walmarts have basically no selection of 10w30 engine oils! What's up with that? I'm thinking my next batch of oil I might head south of the border.

Originally Posted By: amargill19
No doubt, but not just [censored] Tire - even the Walmarts have basically no selection of 10w30 engine oils! What's up with that? I'm thinking my next batch of oil I might head south of the border.

I gather not a lot of people are shelling out for it. Most people here buying 10w-30 are pretty old school and not exactly sold on synthetics in the first place. A 5w-30 synthetic generally should be shear stable enough, plus specified in more than enough vehicles. Nothing on the market I can think of (gasoline, that is) currently specifies a 10w-30, much less a 10w-30 synthetic.

Walmart is becoming a disaster to find oil, especially on rollback. They seem to have reversed positions with Canadian Tire in that regard. It's hard to beat Walmart's best rollbacks, but even harder to find them lately, and it looks like someone sorted their oil aisles with a hand grenade.

Originally Posted By: Garak
amargill19 said:
It's hard to beat Walmart's best rollbacks, but even harder to find them lately, and it looks like someone sorted their oil aisles with a hand grenade.

Isn't that the truth. All bottles were sitting on miss marked pricing for other oils. You think their trying to get us to buy online? If they are its working.

The newest vehicle I've owned is my current 1998 turbo 5cyl Volvo lol.
blush.gif

5w30 is fine for it but with the mild climate here in the Greater Vancouver area 10w30 is just fine.

I actually stocked up on 5w30 M1 HM when C rappy Tire had a 40% off sale. We'll see how that does in the winter. Currently Castrol Edge 10w30 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back