Any reason not to use an Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JoelB
Isn't there a filtration benefit of the Ultra? Or is it's only perk that it's long lasting? If the price is the same but the Ultra filters better it seems like a no brainer to me to use them, if the OCI is 1k or 20k. Or is my thinking off here?

If you want high efficiency (99+% at 20 or gteater), good flow (ie, low delta-p) and good construction (ie, no worries of failure like torn media) then your thinking is correct.

I may do exactly this too in order to get an ADBV that works plus all your other points.

Originally Posted By: cookieman214
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Use the longer XG7317 if it fits
smile.gif

Why give information that will void the new car warranty? Yes, the longer XG7313 will fit, same specs, BUT read this from Fram about the filter warranty:

FRAM® filter products manufactured or sold by FRAM Group Operations LLC are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval and FRAM® hard parts (filters and hard parts are collectively referred to as,“Products”) are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year from the later of the date of purchase or the date of installation. This warranty covers properly installed or utilized Products, installed in vehicles as cataloged by the then applicable FRAM® product catalog

This warranty does not cover any Product that: a) has been subject to misuse, neglect,negligence, accident or casualty; b) has been improperly installed; c) has been installed into an engine which is not referenced as a conforming application by the then applicable FRAM® catalog; or d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval.

So, if you use a filter that is not listed in the filter manufactures catalog, you have no warranty from the filter manufacture,

I'll say that's about 99% correct.

The one distinction I'll make is that warranty won't be outright invalid. Per the M/M Act, the burden of proof shifts from the filter maker to the user, if you choose to use products not in the specified manner. That means (in this case, Fram) the maker can deny/delay coverage or any compensation whatsoever, until it would go to court/arbitration, and you convince the judge/arbitor that you know more than the Fram engineering team, with their mounds of data and team of lawyers. All while it drags on for months if not years, because their pockets are deep and their time is unlimited; yours is not. Good luck with that, BTW.

When you use products as recommended by the maker, then the burden of proof regarding failure is upon that entity.
When you venture out on your own, and go against the maker's recommendations, the burden of proof is upon you to prove that your decision was not a bad idea.

Also, note the comment about the change interval. You can use an Ultra for up to 15k miles, but ONLY if the OEM OFCI is that long. Otherwise, they would not technically have to warrant it, at least until you forced them to via court/arbitration (again - good luck with that). Which is why I find the Ultra a bit of a waste.
- you can use it out to 15k miles, but it may or may not be covered
- you can use it only to the OEM OFCI, but then it's wasted money as lessor cost products will perform with similar/same efficiency for less cost.
In this case here, he's got 5k mile OFCIs. Why use an Ultra? He can get cheaper filters that will perform more than well enough for less cost. Nissan engines are not known to just puke and quit at 100k miles; they will run a LONG time typically. And they do so with everyday decent filters; they don't NEED an Ultra to last.

Again - the OP can do what he wants. But he's fooling himself, and some of you are not helping him make a well-managed decision, if he believes that he "needs" the Ultra for his car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Again - the OP can do what he wants. But he's fooling himself, and some of you are not helping him make a well-managed decision, if he believes that he "needs" the Ultra for his car.

If he wants an Ultra for whatever reason, then that's all that matters. Some people don't always operate on maximum ROI when the ROI delta is only a few dollars.

I agree with the OP's logic. If he can buy a better filter for the same cost as what he is paying now, then there is no real reason not to buy the Fram Ultra. Other members stated their experience with eBay sellers.

On the average he has gotten good advice.

Cars I have owned and driven daily, some, Nash Statesman, Peugeot 404, Peugeot 504 diesel, Renault Alliance, Jeepster Commando, Rover 3500S, Datsun 310 Bluebird, Datsun B210, Rambler Classic, Toyota Prius, and Chevrolet Volt. The reason, probably my only real reason not to use an Ultra, is not wanting to go with the crowd.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If he wants an Ultra for whatever reason, then that's all that matters. Some people don't always operate on maximum ROI when the ROI delta is only a few dollars.

Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back