Any Castrol 0W40 Edge Synthetic Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far 1400 miles on the Castrol Edge 0W40 in Jetta in signature. Shes a purring but its also brand spanking new. Gonna run this oil & Fram Ultra 10,000 mile intervals & get a UOA. Contemplating running it in my Acura & Ram also in signature.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
So far 1400 miles on the Castrol Edge 0W40 in Jetta in signature. Shes a purring but its also brand spanking new. Gonna run this oil & Fram Ultra 10,000 mile intervals & get a UOA. Contemplating running it in my Acura & Ram also in signature.

I’m sure you could run it in the Acura and Ram with great results. It’s a near universal-application oil, like M1 0W-40 was.

I had been using M1 0-40 in my Porsche. Put in the syn. Castrol Edge 0-40 Euro and the engine really quieted down. I had been skeptical of oils markedly quieting down an engine.

I used it for my first oil change in my 16' Jetta 1.8 tsi at 3k miles and ran until 10k. That was my first time using it and it seamed very dark, almost black at the change. Oil was about 1/2 qrt low at change, figured turbo burnt it off as new and no leaks. I put M1 0-40 Euro in it this past time and have just under 7k on it and the color is much lighter, nice amber color. Car only has 16850 miles on it. Don't think i would use it again, as the discrepancy in color but now since Walmart started carring the PP EU 0-40, will run it next and probably from here on out. Always let the car sit for 30 secs to a minute before shut down.

Have used M1 in my old 2002 Merc C240 for 15k oil changes and it was always great intil the wife totalled it.

Last edited:
I've been using Castrol Edge, a.k.a., "German Castrol" in my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sedan ever since I found out that "German Castrol" had it's very own (cult?) thread here in BITOG!
cool.gif

However, for me it was the GC 0W-30 weight for all those years...at least up until this July. That's when the dreaded 'smoking turbo' issue hit my MS6 at ~49,800 miles. Ugh. So I read up on Mazda's SSP #86 (Special Service Program) for MS3/MS6 smoking turbos...and it instructed dealers to first change the oil to a full synthetic 40 weight on customer's cars to see if that stopped the turbo from smoking at extended idle.

So...I changed my Edge 0W-30 out to Edge 0W-40...just to see what would happen. No luck...still smoked at extended idle like a mosquito abatement truck! So I ended up replacing my OEM 2006 MS6 K04 turbo to a brand new K0422-881 spec'd for a 2013 Mazdaspeed 3, along with some other 'enhancements' (3" catted downpipe, tubular SS header, upgraded top mounted intercooler, HP fuel pump, etc...) Of course that included a new Cobb Accessport-enabled 'tune' from one of the top tier Mazdaspeed/Focus ST/RS tuners in order to make it all work properly.

Nevertheless, I'm going to keep running the 0W-40 GC until further notice.
whistle.gif
(Note: FWIW, I've heard that a lot of MS3 and MS6 owners have switched to 15W-40 Shell Rotella T6 in their engines...especially the folks that have highly modified their MZR engines. And that is kinda' why I am staying with the Edge 0W-40 instead of going back to the 0W-30 formulation.

P.S.: I also have the spin-on oil filter conversion for the MZR as well, and am running a Purolator PureOne #PL20195 filter. So far, so good.

My $0.02 worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back