Another Milwaukee M12 stubby 1/2in recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up the hog ring variant of this impact after seeing positive reports here. I already owned a few M12 tools so I had the batteries for the job.

Just did my spring tire rotation and this tool makes the job much more tolerable but with a strong caveat I learned the hard way.

The tool is quite loud in an enclosed space so ear plugs actually wouldn't be a bad idea. The lugnuts on my truck are torqued to 85 lb/ft and it took about 2 seconds on speed 3 to loosen them. Battery life wasn't even a concern after doing all 24 lugnuts (both loosen plus threading them on to snug)

So the lesson I learned the hard way is to pay attention to which way the impact is driving before you hold that trigger down. I ended up torquing one of the lugnuts ON at speed 3 but only for a few seconds and luckily nothing bad seems to have happened. I imagine I ended up torquing that lugnut down to around 100 lb/ft before letting go of the trigger.

12 volt lithium. I don't even have the larger size ones. Just the standard capacity.

[Linked Image]

I have heard that impact is stronger with at least the 4ah size battery.

You wont break anything doing tire rotations with the stubby impact..

now using the dewalt dcf899 or equivalent milwaukee you might snap studs etc.

I currently like setting 1 and letting it hammer for a couple seconds on tightening..
after I test it out a few more times and verify with torque wrench..
I might switch it up by tightening to contact then x amount of time on setting 2.
you know the standard couple taps.
if it still moves when you final torque it with torque wrench. you dont have to loosen and retorque.

Setting 1 is aprox a 1/4 to 1/3 rotation short of 100lb-ft with my lug bolts. just enough that I have to ratchet the torque wrench sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back