Time to put the winter tires on.

As I read that you can have either 3PMSF OR regular All Seasons that are marked M+S as long as they have at least 3.5mm = just over 4/32".

3PMSF is recommended, no summer tires. Do summer only tires have an M+S rating as all season? I never had any so don't know.

The M&S designation stamp is pretty much meaningless on a P-rated tire when it comes to winter driving on mountain passes in BC.

LT mud terrain tires have M&S stamped on them and some of them are a total disaster on snow and ice. However the go-to tire for 4x4s pulling sleds on a trailer or on a sled decks off road in deep snow is Toyo MTs, spin to clean as regular snow tires will pack up.
Nitto EXOs work well on and off road, start out at 18.5/32s, made in the USA, and are expensive.

I don’t have the tattoo, but I’m the patron saint of Canadian Tire money.

The M&S designation stamp is pretty much meaningless on a P-rated tire when it comes to winter driving on mountain passes in BC.
To me that is not just in BC mountain passes. Many of us here are NOT like others though. My FIL refuses to by spare rims and winter tires. I was at least able to get some 3PMSF tires when he got the last set.

Many I know are the "I never had an issue all my life, why waste money on them" group. I just know what I do for my family and try to leave a lot of extra space around everyone else. One walk through a parking lot at any time never mind winter and you can see what shares the road with you.

To me that is not just in BC mountain passes. Many of us here are NOT like others though. My FIL refuses to by spare rims and winter tires. I was at least able to get some 3PMSF tires when he got the last set.

Many I know are the "I never had an issue all my life, why waste money on them" group. I just know what I do for my family and try to leave a lot of extra space around everyone else. One walk through a parking lot at any time never mind winter and you can see what shares the road with you.
Your FIL will find that 3P snow flake tires wear quickly when used in summer and that will be your fault for talking him into buying them.
And of course, buying an extra set of wheels is out of the question.

The “summer tire” I think of are non M&S the folks with performance cars might buy. Here is one list. That’s how interpret it.
2217B423-F0B6-437E-8FA5-4E1A4E7BB310.jpg

When to get a new set of winter tires is a tough question. In my case, the tires have 9/32 left, and since my truck is 4 wheel drive I think that is still reasonable. The wear bars are at 6/32. 12/32 would be nicer but to me that’s more of a function of getting out of your unplowed neighbourhood before you hit the highway. 4WD helps a lot with that.

Last edited:
As I read that you can have either 3PMSF OR regular All Seasons that are marked M+S as long as they have at least 3.5mm = just over 4/32".

3PMSF is recommended, no summer tires. Do summer only tires have an M+S rating as all season? I never had any so don't know.
I think you have that right. The “summer” high performance tires do not have a M&S rating.

Your FIL will find that 3P snow flake tires wear quickly when used in summer and that will be your fault for talking him into buying them.
And of course, buying an extra set of wheels is out of the question.
I've been pretty good at convincing him to at least change before winter if down to 4-5/32".

This year he might be on Continental ProContact TX which are on the loaner Cherokee limited he has. His Renegade is in the shop for 3 months already this time waiting for a new motor (went in June 26th). No timeframe on getting replaced yet, now with strike, who knows. It was in shop for all of January and most February waiting for fuel pump.

At least the tires are not wearing down on the Renegade. :unsure: :oops: :ROFLMAO: That and they have that off road road look he had to have!

They tend not to, as they don't have enough grooves to meet the tread to void ratio for M+S.

the only one I knew of was the old BFGoodrich G-force comp2, though even having the M+S on it, the compound won't be suitable for winter anyway.

They tend not to, as they don't have enough grooves to meet the tread to void ratio for M+S.

the only one I knew of was the old BFGoodrich G-force comp2, though even having the M+S on it, the compound won't be suitable for winter anyway.
For the technical legal guideline as long as it says M+S then they qualify. Reality for use is another story.

I've heard of a lot of Chinese tires, but I ain't never heard of no Motomaster Total Terrains 🤣

I've heard of a lot of Chinese tires, but I ain't never heard of no Motomaster Total Terrains 🤣
That's because you didn't look far enough north to Chinada.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...n-w-t-winter-tire-for-truck-suv-0062127p.html
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-all-terrain-tire-for-truck-suv-0051004p.html

Who actually makes MotoMaster tires?

Does Cooper make MotoMaster tires? Yes. As well as the other “big brands” that produce new MotoMaster tires: Michelin, BFGoodrich, Goodyear (for Canadian Tire).

Are MotoMaster tires made by Michelin?

Some regard MotoMaster as an entry level line of tires despite the tires being produced for Canadian Tire by larger companies such as Michelin (SE2), Cooper (SE3, Winter Edge) and BF Goodrich. Some tires such as Goodyear Nordic winter tires are exclusive to Canadian Tire but not marketed under the MotoMaster umbrella.

Here are the summer tires I took off, the Motomaster Total Terrain APL. They have 60,000 miles on them, attributed to 5 years of driving 6 months per year. They have 6/32 left and the wear bars are at 4/32. I may run them one more year. I occasionally take the Burb on gravel roads but don’t do any mud bogging. LOL.

I’ve run other tires to wear bar and it usually starts with one wear bar showing flat with the thread. That’s close enough for me.

3415A06C-F5AA-4DA0-8506-0A2082A48755.jpeg

Last edited:
Back