Another MaxLife vs Honda DW-1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Can you attach the pdf with the additive packs?

Thanks

No such animal exists.
You can find a Maxlife ATF OA on the PQIA site and a couple of DW-1 OAs in the relevant sub-forum here.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Thanks

No such animal exists.
You can find a Maxlife ATF OA on the PQIA site and a couple of DW-1 OAs in the relevant sub-forum here.

OK...then I guess I don't understand why there are posts saying MaxLife has a similar additive pack as DW-1 or Z-1.

Thanks for letting me know.

I don't know if the ML add pack is similar to Z1 or DW1. I know that Z1 was nothing special, sheared quickly and yet because it was a 'Honda fluid' it was considered all that by many.

DW1 is supposed to be an improvement, as Z1 was nothing special wouldn't take much and I'd hope so. My understanding is that in the States unlike Canada it is not a full synthetic ATF. At least that is the information that has gone around this sub forum in the past.

I don't own a Honda that originally spec'd DW1, just Z1 apps which have now been superseded by/to DW1. However, based on my experience with ML in Z1 applications, out of Honda warranty I'd have no trepidation about using ML in DW1 applications too.

That said, for some the peace of mind of the DW1 label worth the price premium over ML. Strokes for folks.

Thanks

No such animal exists.

OK...then I guess I don't understand why there are posts saying MaxLife has a similar additive pack as DW-1 or Z-1.

Thanks for letting me know.

I told you where you could find the information
21.gif

Maybe have a look at it and you'll then have a better understanding of my post?

Then what animal were you talking about?

Forget it...if you can't provide anything to substantiate your claims then its just opinion.

Why don't you ask this question on DA? Haha. My brother uses Maxlife in his 4-cylinder and likes it a lot. We both use DW1 in our V6s though.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Honda DW1 is all I use. 650k+ miles in the past 15 years on Honda auto transmissions, never a failure or issue. High mileage cars shift life a new car. I do a drop and fill (3 quarts) every 30K miles. I buy it by the case for about $6 per quart online. If I lived in the arctic I would seek out a suitable synthetic, otherwise I dont see the issue.

Thats lots of driving in your cars.

Yep, wife is a retail district manager that covers large parts of Florida. Might be in Miami on Monday, Jacksonville on Tuesday, Tampa on Wednesday, Naples on Thursday, etc. We put a lot of miles on her Honda cars, but they have been absolutely bulletproof. Cant ask for a better commuter car in my experience.

Forget it...if you can't provide anything to substantiate your claims then its just opinion.

The OAs I invited interested members to have a look at aren't opinion.
You appear to be arguing just for the sake of arguing.

The OAs I invited interested members to have a look at aren't opinion.
You appear to be arguing just for the sake of arguing.

On the contrary, I simply didn't understand what appeared to be two conflicting posts from you and so I asked for clarity.
A link would have made for less misunderstanding.
Thanks

Quote:
...Why don't you ask this question on DA? Haha....

I assume you mean DriveAccord, if so yeah I agree, haha. It's one reason I don't bother to join a Honda specific forum. Beyond occasional reference reading there, I don't need the Honda company line gospel according to someone like 'the princess'. Not sure if that handle/screen name is on that specific forum or another, but point still holds.

At least here, alterative views, uses and fluids frequently backed up back significant miles anecdotal experience can be discussed.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I went and got 2 jugs of MaxLife from AZ. People on the Pilot forum had good things to say about ML which led me to pull the trigger. Interestingly, the jug labels still don't list DW-1 compatibility, only Z1. The jugs have 2017 date codes, too. But, the PDS lists DW-1 so it's fine.

Let's do this!
banana2.gif

A fluid without the magic Honda label?
Be sure and let us know when it blows up
frown.gif

FWIW, in my '07 Honda Fit I've been running Amsoil's ATL "Fuel-Efficient" Universal ATF (DW-1 app recommendation) for 2 years and 30k miles with no trouble. Since I drive a lot (30k plus annually), I'm planning to do 60k mile or 2-3 years intervals at the current rate with simple D&F's as long as the fluid never comes out looking poor, etc. So far, so good.

getting up to 100% maxlife in my old odyssey. should have made the switch long ago - maxlife has smoothed out the sometimes rough 1-2 shift.

I started to introduce ML at 30K on the first drain and fill for the Civic. We now have 130K and it shifts like new still.

I cant comment on ml but I have an 02 accord with a baxa transmission. It has had a mix of amsoil, transtune, castrol import, lubegard red for the last 30k. I just drained it today and added dexron6. If all that cant destroy it I'm sure ml will be fine.

Well, I was lucky enough to happen upon a garage sale and buy 2 boxes of DW 1 for $20.00. The family was moving from Lincoln Ne to New Mexico and was selling stuff cheap and fast so as to have less stuff and weight to pack. DW1 is quite pricey at auto stores and Honda dealerships her in Lincoln NE anyway. I do the 3x drain and fill every 45K so now have enough for 3 of those. Once my stash is used up I will likely go with Valvoline Max Life as it is likely just as good and certainly cheaper in price. Honda has a tendency to charge a lot. Maybe it is because they have these big fancy dealerships. Though I hate going to Wal mart they seem to have the best price on Max life currently. Seems like many users of max life are content with it, plus it is cheaper than Honda brand DW1. Hyundai fluid is the same racket as Honda and I did drain and replace Hyundai trans fluid with Max life in both of our Hyundais and both are doing well, not sure if max life is better or not and do not care as long as transmission works well and they do as far as I can tell.
given the high prices that dealers and part stores charge for Honda fluid I think going with Max life is a no brainer. If you cant tell the difference why pay the difference?

I'm currently running ML with Lubegard Platinum (1oz per qt) and Lubegard Red (1oz per qt) in my Accord; I did the double dose of Lubegard to help with torque converter shudder, which didn't really help, but the shifts are tight and super quick. I am pleased with ML, however, I'm wondering if a higher viscosity fluid, like Redline D4, would be more beneficial to a high mileage transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back