Another interesting salavge auction vehicle- 1998 LINCOLN MARK VIII, 62k miles

I've owned two of these Mark VIIIs and they are just cool cars! Surprisingly powerful very comfortable main issue now is parts availability I remember on my 98 I had to do an aftermarket HID kit because the bulbs weren't available. Also the IMRCs can be hard to come by and will fail at some point

Isn't that one of the first cars to get HID Xenons? I seem to recall those coupes with very bluish headlamps at the time...interesting 4 valve per cyl engine
Yes and they were a really odd DC TO DC system that Ford developed. No other manufacturer used it. Bulbs for it have been discontinued for years. There is a halogen retrofit that Ford offers for it.

Quik update. Decided to "drop out" of the bidding at $825. New high bid is $850, I assume the same person I was bidding against earlier. IAAI allows one to see certain things about the bidder, not much but enough to look for patterns. Copart does not provide any data of this nature.

My reason for dropping out of the bid for this Lincoln came down to headlights. I wasn't aware of the extreme rarity of the headlights and associated headlamps. Rock Auto does not list any aftermarket headlamps available. A search on Ebay one can find one or two new headlights, the have a asking price of $800 per headlight. So almost 2k (with taxes and shipping) for replacement headlights. In addition, I like the air ride feature, another item with part non availability.

Headlights are an item one might always want to check out for availability and price. Headlight availability is why I migrated from W220 to W221 Merecedes (although I still have a w220 daily driver). On the w220, the headlights have a wiring defect that is very hard to fix. New aftermarket HID lights are no longer available, and OEM can be hard to find.

So basically the adjuster knew what he/she was doing and that's why it's sitting in the junk yard..........

Mr. Winfield makes it look so easy. Amazing to see doors open, people walking by. Changes so many perceptions of what I thought to include a spray booth, special filters, etc.

The tree pollen around here would give any paint job an interesting texture if done in the open like that.

pretty sure the majority of those cars I've ever seen were that color.
I was going to say the same thing. Very popular color in the 90s.

They were boaty but nice cars. Good shape. Sad that such minor damage did it in, but like anything, the body repair shops are gouging too.

I was going to say the same thing. Very popular color in the 90s.

They were boaty but nice cars. Good shape. Sad that such minor damage did it in, but like anything, the body repair shops are gouging too.
Aftermarket parts are not available and used one's are outrageous. Body shops have little to do with it. It's an old dinosaur-not worth anything-the repairs exceed the value of the car. What's so hard to understand?

Aftermarket parts are not available and used one's are outrageous. Body shops have little to do with it. It's an old dinosaur-not worth anything-the repairs exceed the value of the car. What's so hard to understand?
Those cars were nothing special when new (other than overpriced), certainly not worth the headache of chasing NLA parts for now.

Reactions: CKN
Nothing is hard to understand. Parts can be pricey but that’s not the majority of cost in a repair.

$1025. What a deal! I'd go up to around $3-4 if I needed a highway cruiser. No brainer.

I'd be fine just living with the cosmetic damage. No rush to fix it. New bulbs and GTG. Hit up various scrap yards, check ebay, parts will come available.

A low miles 1997 V8, perfect leather interior, for $1000... minimal cosmetic damage; unreal.

Those cars were nothing special when new (other than overpriced), certainly not worth the headache of chasing NLA parts for now.
I don't have any experience with that car, but it appears to be a 4700 pound car, with 300hp and 300 torque approximately, in the Ford 4.6L V8, which has a reputation for being reliable. It's not going to win races. But that leather interior looks high quality and the car looks aerodynamic and nice IMHO.

Not my favorite by any stretch but I'd be on it for a few grand. A few grand is nothing, for a car that would cost $40k today. Even with minor damage. A small independent shop could fix it for very little, I bet. Make a great extra hwy cruiser. I bet it's ultra comfortable to drive.

Looks like the auction is over, so I'd guess it went for a steal. I just listened to the engine video, it sounds brand new. That V8 purr. Someone scored an incredible car for lunch money.

I don't have any experience with that car, but it appears to be a 4700 pound car, with 300hp and 300 torque approximately, in the Ford 4.6L V8, which has a reputation for being reliable. It's not going to win races. But that leather interior looks high quality and the car looks aerodynamic and nice IMHO.

Not my favorite by any stretch but I'd be on it for a few grand. A few grand is nothing, for a car that would cost $40k today. Even with minor damage. A small independent shop could fix it for very little, I bet. Make a great extra hwy cruiser. I bet it's ultra comfortable to drive.

Looks like the auction is over, so I'd guess it went for a steal. I just listened to the engine video, it sounds brand new. That V8 purr. Someone scored an incredible car for lunch money.
Winning Bid: $1,075.00, it was hard to turn down...... especially as the vehicle is 15 minutes from me.

The time you can paint like that is limited by condition, too humid, too cold, pollen, wind, etc. Not an ideal way to paint but...
I thought I’ve seen folks make makeshift paint booths with heavy plastic sheeting, inside of a knot et structure. May not get rid of all the pollen and dust specs but would notionally let it cure in peace if left alone…

I believe this Mark was an outstanding buy at a out the door price of under $2k.

99% of auto owners don't care if their headlights are weather and then refurbished. I care- I but new OEM lights for my rides. My 2004 Navigator has brand new OEM headlights, I am just waiting to install. The Lexus GX 470 I am repairing also has a set of brand new OEM headlights ready to install. Heck, I even have brand new W220 HID lights in storage. For me, something rings well about putting new OEM headlights in a older vehilce. Sure it is just a erroneous perception on my part- but I like new headlights over aftermarket or self refurbished.

Same with the air shocks. When air shocks fail, the very popular solution is to install coils and hydraulic shock absorbers. I just want all OEM.

It was very hard to turn down this Mark. Likely under $4500 all in, one could have a really nice full-size coupe, low mileage, and very reliable. I just have about six big project going on, limited space, and even less time. So had to walk away.

And a supplemental picture of a much earlier Mark:

339924180_773928334088278_3412695638180025849_n.jpg

Back