Another interesting salavge auction vehicle- 1998 LINCOLN MARK VIII, 62k miles

You're right. Doesn't look like a lot of damage. Hood looks repairable. Bumper might polish out or just need repainting.

As for the green colour, wouldn't you just paint the parts?
ET.

I think it is currently very hard to find anyone to do smaller body/ paint jobs at this time- in some parts of the USA. I recently purchased a bumper cover in California and had it shipped to Seattle that was in the color I needed. I have a like new condition bumper cover in my garage, but didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to find someone to paint it in the color I needed.

Great looking car and that green was an awesome color. Had a few years older MK VII and my boss had a MK VIII I want to say was this green but can't be positive after 25 years.

Reactions: GON
This is my ideal rebuildable, a light hit with bolt on parts, older/low value and generally undesirable car. It'll be interesting to see what it sells for, from what I've seen they are going for too much once you factor in fees and the hassle.

This is my ideal rebuildable, a light hit with bolt on parts, older/low value and generally undesirable car. It'll be interesting to see what it sells for, from what I've seen they are going for too much once you factor in fees and the hassle.
DD,

Unless two different parties "have to have it", I suspect it will sell for under 3k, after fees under 4k. Maybe well under that price. The car was at $25, I bid $500, and the current bidder's reserve hit at $525. The current bidder is a "local".

I see some cars sell for much more than they should at auction, and occasionally a car sell here or there at under market value. Sellers bring their cars to auctions because of emotions. Many people overpay (including me), because we want to WIN! That attitude is a auctioneer's best friend.

Isn't that one of the first cars to get HID Xenons? I seem to recall those coupes with very bluish headlamps at the time...interesting 4 valve per cyl engine

Awesome, 4v mod motor... god love it.

This thing would be sweet with a M/T swap and or a procharger on it. Put out a smooth 350-400 hp on low boost. Sweet little ride.

KBB says it's about $3k private party sale here in Texas. It'll be interesting to watch. They were good looking cars when new and still look good now.

Most of the few Mark VIIIs I saw were green.

John105 is correct about the HID headlamps, but I believe they were actually optional, not standard. The problem now is that new Ford/Lincoln replacements are unavailable, and the ballasts would fail over time. The lights became impossibly dim with the ballast failed.

Clean and an easy fix. Have you ever thought about learning to paint?
Trav,

Yes I have thought about learning to paint. I have so many projects going on, just have left learning to paint/ setting up a paint booth have just seemed to be something I should pass on.

One a funny note, as a teenager I worked in a warehouse next door to a very high end body shop. The body shop's owner was a perfectionist. One comment he planted in my mind, was that the painters at Earl Schieb were among the best. His theory was the Earl Schieb painters sprayed 20 plus cars a day. The 20 plus cars a day enable these painters to get good at spraying, etc.

Trav,

Yes I have thought about learning to paint. I have so many projects going on, just have left learning to paint/ setting up a paint booth have just seemed to be something I should pass on.

One a funny note, as a teenager I worked in a warehouse next door to a very high end body shop. The body shop's owner was a perfectionist. One comment he planted in my mind, was that the painters at Earl Schieb were among the best. His theory was the Earl Schieb painters sprayed 20 plus cars a day. The 20 plus cars a day enable these painters to get good at spraying, etc.
With today's modern paints if you wait for a no wind low humidity day you can do small stuff like a hood or bumper cover in a normal garage or even outside (low wind). Sure if you paint daily you are going to be good at applying it, its the prep work those guys don't do
that can spoil the job as well as low end materials.
Renowned as one of the greatest car builder and possibly the best painters in this business Gene Winfield paints this job in an old garage for someone.

With today's modern paints if you wait for a no wind low humidity day you can do small stuff like a hood or bumper cover in a normal garage or even outside (low wind). Sure if you paint daily you are going to be good at applying it, its the prep work those guys don't do
Renowned as one of the greatest car builder and possibly the best painters in this business Gene Winfield paints this job in an old garage for someone.

Agreed, OP isn't going for perfection, just a respectable look from 5'. A simple setup from Harbor Freight would be perfect. OP probably already has a compressor, just needs a gun.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON

Mr. Winfield makes it look so easy. Amazing to see doors open, people walking by. Changes so many perceptions of what I thought to include a spray booth, special filters, etc.

For me, the joy in owning an old Ford like that is to have a mint condition version.
They've come down in price a lot, so you can get a low mileage really nice one for about $5k.

Back