Another example of how still crazy high the used car market is- especially for cheap used cars

Yea-we have ascertained the safest drivers in the world are on this forum-despite what the average age is-and the delayed reaction times that come with age.

So in all your years of driving-you never had a slick condition that caused the ABS to kick in? Nor a panic stop?
Sorry-I'm not buying it.
Correct. I've never had ABS activate. Never missed ABS when I didn't have it either (up until 2020).

Correct. I've never had ABS activate. Never missed ABS when I didn't have it either (up until 2020).

OK-you had a beater that never had it-therefore don't know the benefits. Never had it "kick in" because you didn't have it.
We got "the rest of the story":

We just got back from Georgia yesterday, and riding around Tbilisi in Bolt cars, their Uber or Lift equivalent, it was amazing how many US market cars there are on the road there. Chevy Cruises are common and there were many Fusions and Malibus as well. The Prius may well be the national car of Georgia. Out in the countryside, you do see many Fiat 124 era Ladas as well as Gaz trucks, but driving around Tbilisi you could almost be in a large US city based upon the cars that you see, although you also see some RHD JDM cars as well as some Keis. There are also a surprising number of Teslas running around. Looking at some of these cars, they have inspection stickers from the US and Canada in many cases.
My point is that there is a substantial overseas market for cars sold new in the US, even though it must cost a pretty penny to ship them the six thousand or so miles to Tbilisi and parts availability can't be easy.
Yes look and listen to the PBS broadcast (I can't seem to find it now) when a mechanic in Tajikistan emailed a PBS journalist on why Americans would "throw out " a one-year-old Lexus RX350 with 7k miles on the odometer. It had been a New York flood car, yet everything worked.

Yes look and listen to the PBS broadcast (I can't seem to find it now) when a mechanic in Tajikistan emailed a PBS journalist on why Americans would "throw out " a one-year-old Lexus RX350 with 7k miles on the odometer. It had been a New York flood car, yet everything worked.

It's a liability thing here. Personally-If the Insurance company is going to give me a decent check for it-I don't want it.
Look at the thread from Mike whose truck got hit-it may have been fixable but he didn't want a "fixed truck"
This is America.

But the truth of the matter is they are putting you at risk. That's a fact due to how much faster, for example ABS can react verses human reflexes. Again a cold stone fact. That's not an opinion.
It has been consistent over the the last decade that cars under 6 years old tend to be involved in over 50%+ of serious accidents where the car is totaled out, despite being dwarfed in number by older vehicles. (A new car is twice as likely to crash in the first 6 months of ownership compared to thereafter and much more likely to be totaled out than older cars oddly)

So Older cars despite being more numerous have fewer serious accidents that get the car totaled out.

The most dangerous cars on the road have been in the owners hands less than 6 months by the data.

Last edited:
As long as the new car prices stay high, so will the used car prices.
FB_IMG_1699480916579.jpg
FB_IMG_1699480927878.jpg

Maybe I am living in the past and have not come to grasp how the change in the value of the USD changes the price of most everything- even junk vehicles.

I look at this vehicle, almost 200k miles, likely very rust underneath, lots of money to fix the back because at a minimum quarter panel up to the roof has to be cut out and replaced- and think this is a $200-300 best case. Yet someone paid over $1200. Maybe a lot of other factors in play- possible as simple as not enough used cars to go around, even junk cars now become a valuable commodity....

Beats me.....
How much do you think they can make parting it out and selling left over scrap? Maybe what they plan. Used parts are going up in prices.
Yet I would think not much due to what it is. Really, how much demand to fix those?

It has been consistent over the the last decade that cars under 6 years old tend to be involved in over 50%+ of serious accidents where the car is totaled out, despite being dwarfed in number by older vehicles. (A new car is twice as likely to crash in the first 6 months of ownership compared to thereafter and much more likely to be totaled out than older cars oddly)

So Older cars despite being more numerous have fewer serious accidents that get the car totaled out.

The most dangerous cars on the road have been in the owners hands less than 6 months by the data.
Why do you think that is?

Why do you think that is?
I think in relationship to high performance cars and motorcycles, it's the age group that are attracted to them, and the usual inexperience that accompanies that young age.

High performance, 1 liter sport bikes today are capable of extremely high speeds. (180+ MPH right off the showroom floor). They attract young inexperienced riders, who then proceed to ride them far beyond their skill levels, and end up crashing. Many times due to showing off, peer pressure from young women, etc.

Where as Harleys, Gold Wings, and other "cruiser" type bikes attract older, more conservative riders. And many of them have far more years, and much more experience riding motorcycles. That equates to fewer accidents.

These high performance cars are much the same. Years back it was very difficult, if not impossible for young people to get financing and insurance for these type of cars. Which helped in keeping them out of their hands.

Today it's easier than ever to borrow money. So again, these cars end up in young, inexperienced drivers hands. The result are a lot of totaled vehicles, along with the injuries and death that accompany those type of serious, high speed accidents.

And even in the high cost "Supercar" realm, there still are a lot of older people with more money than brains or skill. Hence more wrecks. They just end up costing more to fix..... Assuming they're not totalled.

Just look at how these predominantly young people drive at these insane, "street takeovers". People getting hit. Drive trains blown up. People smashing into each other..... All driving beautiful, expensive high performance cars, that are anything but paid for.

All of this adds up to a much greater chance of a disastrous outcome.

I think in relationship to high performance cars and motorcycles, it's the age group that are attracted to them, and the usual inexperience that accompanies that young age.

High performance, 1 liter sport bikes today are capable of extremely high speeds. (180+ MPH right off the showroom floor). They attract young inexperienced riders, who then proceed to ride them far beyond their skill levels, and end up crashing. Many times due to showing off, peer pressure from young women, etc.

Where as Harleys, Gold Wings, and other "cruiser" type bikes attract older, more conservative riders. And many of them have far more years, and much more experience riding motorcycles. That equates to fewer accidents.

These high performance cars are much the same. Years back it was very difficult, if not impossible for young people to get financing and insurance for these type of cars. Which helped in keeping them out of their hands.

Today it's easier than ever to borrow money. So again, these cars end up in young, inexperienced drivers hands. The result are a lot of totaled vehicles, along with the injuries and death that accompany those type of serious, high speed accidents.

And even in the high cost "Supercar" realm, there still are a lot of older people with more money than brains or skill. Hence more wrecks. They just end up costing more to fix..... Assuming they're not totalled.

Just look at how these predominantly young people drive at these insane, "street takeovers". People getting hit. Drive trains blown up. People smashing into each other..... All driving beautiful, expensive high performance cars, that are anything but paid for.

All of this adds up to a much greater chance of a disastrous outcome.
And all those young dumb folks make all of our car insurance go up like crazy.

And all those young dumb folks make all of our car insurance go up like crazy.
They don't help it, that's for sure. Insurance basically involves the spreading of risk. So those less likely to be involved in accidents, help pay the way for those who are more likely to be.

Same deal with homeowners insurance. We have a certain percentage of our homeowners premiums directly tied to Texans and Floridians who are more likely to have their properties ravaged by hurricanes.

They pay a lot more for coverage, as they should... Just like young, energized, inexperienced drivers are forced to pay more, because they're a greater risk. But everybody bears the financial brunt to some degree. Much like communism. Nobody "wins", but everybody loses.

Back