Another 737 mishap

What do you make of Stephanie Pope? The WSJ had an interesting profile of her. She is finance type which is strike against in my mind, plus from McD, which in mind is where the problems started - strike two in other words. But her dad and grandfather worked at McD, in what appear to be line / production roles, so that hopefully indicates making great airplanes is a genuine calling and not a case of her selling widgets. We shall see.

Amazing the people who made the 777 are now involved in this. (777 is my favorite Boeing plane; 747 is second.)
I’m not yet certain, the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. She has an unimpressive resume. Her experience is as a bean counter.

Not what I would have hoped for in terms of experience, or temperament.

I’m not sure what to make of her official biography paragraph on this:

“Pope is also a passionate advocate for developing and nurturing our talented Boeing teammates and creating a working environment where every person can thrive. As a member of Boeing’s Executive Council, Pope serves as the executive sponsor of Boeing Women Inspiring Leadership, a business resource group dedicated to increasing gender diversity awareness and promoting diverse representation among women.”

Sounds like more of the fuzzy platitudes to which you earlier referred.

Time will tell.

Well, it’s quite clear that the best and brightest weren’t attracted by high pay and no risk.

So, what do you propose?

Maybe, instead of the revolving door across corporations, where the same Cabal of names shows up over and over, it’s time to promote from within the company.

You know, like the military does. Develop Subordinates. Teach them leadership. Promote them up.
All of our CEO’s started as an operations engineer - once they show executive potential - they are sent for an MBA - (even if holding post graduate in engineering) - come back on the short list to complete in the senior ranks …

Back