Another 737 mishap

It appears that a wing-to-fuselage body panel decided to depart the aircraft. This is another mishap for United Airlines this month. Something is going on and it isn't going to end well I fear. This was another San Francisco departure.

Look closely at the picture and you can see that the fasteners are all still installed. These are aramid skinned, nomex cored panels. There is no danger of crashing or depressurizing or anything like that but you still have wonder about the poor guy out in his garden when that thing finds a place to land.

737 United.jpeg

737 panel.JPG

Last edited:
The airlines have been under a lot of scrutiny lately. It's still the safest way to travel.

I take it this panel moves with the system that closes after the landing gear it retracted. It probably takes a large load when buffeting in the wind which results in fatigue in the skin of the panel.

I take it this panel moves with the system that closes after the landing gear it retracted. It probably takes a large load when buffeting in the wind which results in fatigue in the skin of the panel.
No, it's a fixed fairing. Remember that the B737 has exposed wheels that don't retract into a enclosed wheel well. They just put little hub caps on the outside of the wheel to help with aerodynamics. I have seen panels blow off of planes in the past (rarely) but it's usually traced to either the wrong fasteners being used (head size too small allowing for pull-through) or from impact damage from FOD (not counting when a few pilots have banged the tail on takeoff).

In one way I hope something flew up from the runway and hit the panel but in another way I hope nothing flew up from the runway and hit the panel.

I'm sure we'll hear more about this as the days go by.

belly of the beast.jpg

Last edited:
1. Panel departs.
2. Worker with phone takes a photo.
3. Posts on social media, tags UAL and Boeing.
4. By 7pm we have story about conspiracy and government not telling us “truth.”

In class I teach about terrorism, I use statistics from 60’s and 70’s and how terrorist attacks in Europe were at much higher numbers than last 20yrs. Difference is coverage of today’s attacks and the fact that average person gets news on palm of their hand.

There are on average 19,000 airplanes at any moment in the air on this planet. Panels will fall off, seats won’t work, they will enter turbulent weather etc., etc.,

It appears that a wing-to-fuselage body panel decided to depart the aircraft. This is another mishap for United Airlines this month. Something is going on and it isn't going to end well I fear. This was another San Francisco departure.

Look closely at the picture and you can see that the fasteners are all still installed. These are aramid skinned, nomex cored panels. There is no danger of crashing or depressurizing or anything like that but you still have wonder about the poor guy out in his garden when that thing finds a place to land.

View attachment 208801

View attachment 208802
I prefer to only buy tickets for my family on Airbus planes as I personally feel safer on Airbus.

Last edited:
I only fly Airbus planes. European companies have a different culture: "Safety first". Boeing's culture seems to be "Profits first, safety last".
Your ability to ignore the multitude of Airbus incidents and crashes, caused by design flaws, manufacturing issues, and equipment failures, has been already discussed at length.

I prefer to only buy tickets for my family on Airbus planes as I personally feel safer on Airbus.

Neither Airbus or Boeing have had a multitude of crashes caused by things other than pilot error, and even then, its not something I would worry about except don't fly with certain subpar airlines ( maintenace & pilot training ) around the world.

Pilot error is the main reason planes crash, not whether its Airbus or Boeing.

As a passenger, there is no way you can tell who is flying your aircraft so trust the airline more than what type of plane it is.

Last edited:
Neither Airbus or Boeing have had a multitude of crashes caused by things other than pilot error, and even then, its not something I would worry about except don't fly with certain subpar airlines ( maintenace & pilot training ) around the world.

Pilot error is the main reason planes crash, not whether its Airbus or Boeing.

As a passenger, there is no way you can tell who is flying your aircraft so trust the airline more than what type of plane it is.
True. One of my concerns, is my closest airport to my home mainly flies regional routes and has the Bombadeer "narrow as a pencil" cabins and likely have lower paid pilots than the major airlines. So I sometimes drive 140 miles away to go to the big city airport, just so I can use a major airline large plane.

True. One of my concerns, is my closest airport to my home mainly flies regional routes and has the Bombadeer "narrow as a pencil" cabins and likely have lower paid pilots than the major airlines. So I sometimes drive 140 miles away to go to the big city airport, just so I can use a major airline large plane.
Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable but I couldn’t care less whether I take my family on Airbus or Boeing.

Any pilot who feels one is the better than the other would get on my nerves to be honest.

I don’t mind people criticizing an airline, Boeing, or Airbus but it has to be based on facts, not emotion or biases. That’s the only time I chime in on these types of threads.

I have my own very strong opinions but it comes with experience and objectivity ( I have no brand loyalty ) based on stuff I read.

Whatever you do, do not watch the media when they cover aviation stuff. It’s fake news in my books most times.

Edit: typo.

Last edited:
Forgot….I deadhead on small regional planes occasionally.

Very low experience but the lack of room is what concerns me.

Last edited:
Back