And this is why the Dealership Model needs to change.

Reliance on the public system teaching finance isn't the answer...it falls with the parents. Problem is, of course, that unless the parents have good habits to teach it becomes a generational fault.
Very true. I don't think my parents taught "good" financial habits and so I can see how I made my mistakes, and am still trying to figure out how to motivate my kids to do better. So far, not sure I'm making a dent through their heads. Won't know for another 10-20 years if they do alright.

I looked it up online. Consumer Reports is saying that the Subaru is better (actually quite a bit better) than the RAV4. They rate the Subaru as #1 of 24 compact SUVs. The RAV4 is #13 of 24. And it's even a bit cheaper.

Would the friend like it? I dunno. But I'd say it's worth a look.
I won't get into the debate on vehicles, but consumer reports vehicle ratings is a complete sham. Its a survey, its a small sample size, and they don't track the vehicles for very many years. So for example, if my sample size is 200 respondents on a particular model (they say its 200 to 300 per model), then how many of those 200 are going to have engine problems? If one or two per 200 have engine problems I would be shocked. Also the type of people that respond to these types of things may not know the difference in the questions. If grandma's battery goes dead she likely calls it an engine problem (engine didn't start).

I would own either car. Looked at the forester in 2019, wife didn't like the interior, so bought a Toyota. Toyota resale is likely better, which I don't care about since I never resell.

Stop with the easy money and this will end immediately. Or people will continue taking mortgages out on vehicles. It doesn't effect me since I'm not a new car buyer, but it does distort the market.
All they have to do is go back to a minimum of 20 percent down, and all of this nonsense will stop overnight. They never should have ever gotten away from it.

I looked it up online. Consumer Reports is saying that the Subaru is better (actually quite a bit better) than the RAV4. They rate the Subaru as #1 of 24 compact SUVs. The RAV4 is #13 of 24. And it's even a bit cheaper.

Would the friend like it? I dunno. But I'd say it's worth a look.
Forester is not a PHEV which is why there is such an incredible demand for it.

It's a reference number, at best. That's it. You negotiate as best as you can, but the selling price is the selling price.

Until you the consumer walk away...they hate losing a sale.
Then they chase you down, or call you up a few days later, asking what they can do to make the deal.
Now that ball is in your court.

I've never even paid full msrp, and sure wouldn't pay more.

It's not as though there is only one dealership on all of earth. Walk away and try a different place.

$10,000 dollar "market adjustment" markup on the lot. But, online price is way lower. I am hoping the dealership model changes soon, but I don't think the states will win over the dealership lobbyist's power. Too much money in the "old" model.

I recall in the 90s the local Dodge dealership pulled this stunt but the mark-up was $2000. Amazingly, some folks actually paid it. 🤷‍♂️

All I can say is that I'm really glad that we aren't in the market at the moment.
We bought both cars during the era of large volume and good availability when dealers had to offer deals, although you had to be astute enough to bargain for them.
Today, no amount of bargaining will bring what would have been considered a good price on anything you'd want to buy.
I wonder whether higher retail prices are encouraging people to stretch a bit in what they buy?
After all, if a basic CUV like a RAV or CRV hybrid is well into the thirties, then you aren't too far away from a Pilot or a Highlander, so why not spend a little more to move up a class?

All I can say is that I'm really glad that we aren't in the market at the moment.
Yeah it sucks being in the market—I wrecked a car last year and have been waiting this long to replace it. Didn’t need to replace it then but it is coming up on the time that I do.

I could travel from Texas to take your pick, CA, FL, OH etc. to buy a car with zero ADM, tint, sealants etc. and drive it back and spend far less than $2500 ADM. And I'd be rewarding the honest dealer who doesn't pull any of that bull and I'd be sticking it to the local thieves who do.
48 Hours And A Used Car on Facebook

If you're looking for 60k miles or less, 2016 or newer AND especially unpopular vehicles, I have been serving folks for nearly eight years now at wholesale cost plus $700.

If you're the 15th person this week to ask me about a near-new Tacoma or a Highlander, that dog won't hunt in this market. Toyota has big inventory issues right now and those needles of profit never make it to the haystack of wholesale auctions.

48 Hours And A Used Car on Facebook

If you're looking for 60k miles or less, 2016 or newer AND especially unpopular vehicles, I have been serving folks for nearly eight years now at wholesale cost plus $700.

If you're the 15th person this week to ask me about a near-new Tacoma or a Highlander, that dog won't hunt in this market. Toyota has big inventory issues right now and those needles of profit never make it to the haystack of wholesale auctions.
I'm not looking at all. I was pointing out someone in CA or FL or wherever paying MSRP plus $2500 ADM or more could come here and buy the same vehicle for MSRP with ZERO ADM or tint or sealants or anything else the shysters add and then drive home and save a good bit of money. They might even get it for below MSRP depending on vehicle choice. They also reward the good dealer not pulling any BS and they stick it to their local shyster dealer that was going to rip them off. And a nice scenic trip. Don't get why anyone would pay huge ADM at home if they had a good option like this.

There used to be a couple really high volume Subaru dealers - I thought one was in Ohio? They would advertise fly and drive -you fly to them, buy your car, drive home, and still save money.

Do those still exist?

Are there any other brands that have similar dealers?

I could travel from Texas to take your pick, CA, FL, OH etc. to buy a car with zero ADM, tint, sealants etc. and drive it back and spend far less than $2500 ADM. And I'd be rewarding the honest dealer who doesn't pull any of that bull and I'd be sticking it to the local thieves who do.

I don't know so much about Ohio.
I'm in Ohio.
The last new car I bought (see signature,) I saved over $4200. buying it in WV vs. the Honda dealer closest to me.

I don't know so much about Ohio.
I'm in Ohio.
The last new car I bought (see signature,) I saved over $4200. buying it in WV vs. the Honda dealer closest to me.
Well, I actually just picked OH for the distance, trying to match Miami or L.A. from Houston roughly. I won't be traveling as I have the best dealer just here. Zero pressure. Zero chicanery. Zero ADM. Zero paint/fabric protectors or tints or masks or anything. Just an honest, straight forward deal. Compared to $2500 ADM in CA and from what you say also OH.

Asking more than MSRP here just wouldn't work, people will shop elsewhere, no sweat.
It comes down to how much below MSRP can you get it for.

Typically cars sell about $3000 under, and pickups $6000 under.

Well, I actually just picked OH for the distance, trying to match Miami or L.A. from Houston roughly. I won't be traveling as I have the best dealer just here. Zero pressure. Zero chicanery. Zero ADM. Zero paint/fabric protectors or tints or masks or anything. Just an honest, straight forward deal. Compared to $2500 ADM in CA and from what you say also OH.

The deal doesn't always come to you.
Sometimes, you have to go to the deal.
Haven't bought a car locally (within 25 miles) since I bought my Mustang new in '08, and I ended up buying it there because I had a contact that was the used car sales manager, found it for me, and got me a deal on it I couldn't touch anywhere else.
Other than that, for the last 30 years purchases have been determined by the "Low Bid" process.

Until you the consumer walk away...they hate losing a sale.
Then they chase you down, or call you up a few days later, asking what they can do to make the deal.
Now that ball is in your court.

I've never even paid full msrp, and sure wouldn't pay more.

It's not as though there is only one dealership on all of earth. Walk away and try a different place.
Let's just say I know a little about negotiating. I walk into the dealership with the deal in hand.

Back