... and Joe Public just keeps on using Android and Google ...

@Touring5 getting out of the Google or Apple world is tough. Huawei has been working on it for over a year and still nothing tangible has been offered even in their domestic market.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
@Touring5 getting out of the Google or Apple world is tough. Huawei has been working on it for over a year and still nothing tangible has been offered even in their domestic market.

That's an amusing thought, users moving away from big 'ol corporate USA that's "stealing and monetizing your data" and into the CCP, who will be doing the same thing
lol.gif

They will not be allowed in the US. My comment is about the firm grip Google has on the smartphone industry.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
They will not be allowed in the US. My comment is about the firm grip Google has on the smartphone industry.

I know, and I'm aware of that, I just found the whole concept amusing.

Originally Posted by Touring5
It is true that you can largely strip google from an android device, but it comes with some drawbacks. Chief among them is that you will need to use a playstore alternative (of which there are a few). This is fine for downloading free apps, but any apps that you have paid for on playstore will have issues because they need to connect to google/playstore to verify. There are also some android functions that will be problematic like google pay and probably a few others that I'm not aware of.

I had one phone setup (rooted, with custom ROM and other necessary mods to forego google) and it was mostly fine. It does require some research and work to get everything working - how to get root on your particular phone/model, required software, etc. For anyone interested, a good starting point for a rooted phone is search for "microG GmsCore" which is the alternate I used for google play services.

I know a lot of people do this on XDA forums. Anyone who's anything like alarmguy wouldn't be using something like Google pay anyway.

Like I've said before, Google does make my life easier as my phone is a work tool, used all day in the field. I've used iPhones before and find them very frustrating, not to mention the newest ones are nearly unrepairable. They'd have to make a lot of changes before I'd consider one again.

If android is Google as alarmguy thinks, then how do Huawei phones with android work without Google apps? Clearly he doesn't know as much about them as he claims.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
It is true that you can largely strip google from an android device, but it comes with some drawbacks. Chief among them is that you will need to use a playstore alternative (of which there are a few). This is fine for downloading free apps, but any apps that you have paid for on playstore will have issues because they need to connect to google/playstore to verify. There are also some android functions that will be problematic like google pay and probably a few others that I'm not aware of.

I had one phone setup (rooted, with custom ROM and other necessary mods to forego google) and it was mostly fine. It does require some research and work to get everything working - how to get root on your particular phone/model, required software, etc. For anyone interested, a good starting point for a rooted phone is search for "microG GmsCore" which is the alternate I used for google play services.

I know a lot of people do this on XDA forums. Anyone who's anything like alarmguy wouldn't be using something like Google pay anyway.

Like I've said before, Google does make my life easier as my phone is a work tool, used all day in the field. I've used iPhones before and find them very frustrating, not to mention the newest ones are nearly unrepairable. They'd have to make a lot of changes before I'd consider one again.

If android is Google as alarmguy thinks, then how do Huawei phones with android work without Google apps? Clearly he doesn't know as much about them as he claims.

Clearly you are mistaken, alarmguy made no mention of Hyawei or making android work without google,so clearly it's you who doesn't know much or just looking to spin this towards a company banned from dealing with American corporations
Yeah right, android phones all over the USA running without the requirement to sign up a google account.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8

You want a REAL conspiracy?! I am told that Walmart sells items for MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS. They're ripping us off! And yet sheeple keep walking in there like mindless zombies. Wake up, people!

I find that hard to believe.[/quote]
Shocking!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Yeah right, android phones all over the USA running without the requirement to sign up a google account.

If one wants, they can easily use an Android phone without a Google account by sideloading whatever apps they want, Android is amazing open and customizeable. Most users enjoy using and prefer the convenience of the Google ecosystem.

Your ISP can see what you're doing online or your VPN. I don't see the concern.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Clearly you are mistaken, alarmguy made no mention of Hyawei or making android work without google,so clearly it's you who doesn't know much or just looking to spin this towards a company banned from dealing with American corporations

Yes, I can see that you don't understand. Several others mentioned that I'm right about Android running without Google. I know you said nothing about Huawei, because you weren't aware that android could run without Google apps and that android and Google are 2 different things. Now you know. I hope.

I only brought up the Huawei thing to try to make it very easy for you to understand, that android doesn't require Google.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by terry274
OK, I'll try again. It just talks about how the US government is using phone data to track virus spread.

iphone data tracked

Excellent post and all goes back to my original post!
Even though your batting me in every post I make in here, your link confirms what I'm saying as well as one if the most successful companies in American history CEO is telling you my friend.

And ... don't give me that separating google from android garbage. Let's be real and and get with the program.
I knew this post would generate controversy, but your a tiny fraction of the population who is going to buy a phone or new computer and strip it of the reason they bought it!
It's laughable and if people want privacy they can start kicking android and google out of their lives go with DuckDuckGo and the Apple universe it a great place to start.
Pay for or sign up for a free ProtonMail account and dump your gmail too.

It's a lifestyle change, a battle to stop knowingly and freely sharing your private lives and lives if your children with corporations, my god..,it's common sense...

My last post here, if one can't figure it out from here it's a lost cause for them anyway but scary stuff fir the rest of us.

Last edited:
Everything is vulnerable down to the very forum(BITOG) we are posting and reading on. It is a full time job + some keeping it up to date/patching holes and harder with antique stuff.

I just hope for the best.

Alarmguy, I don't mean to battle you. I think you bring up some good points. Your first post with the link to a story that really was about third party malware wasn't one of them.
I get it about the privacy idea you extol. I use duckduckgo on my phone and Linux on my desktop. I'm with you on the electronic privacy idea. The point I want to get across is you must take steps with iPhone as well as Android to protect your privacy. And realize after you take those steps, when you are using an electronic device you are leaving a trail. Neither Google or Apple is watching out for your best interest.

But anyway here is a link to a phone that runs Linux. I will seriously consider this phone when the time comes for a new phone.

Librem 5 Purism

I hope there are no hard feelings. Keep your eyes open and trust no corporation.

Alarmguy, I don't mean to battle you. I think you bring up some good points. Your first post with the link to a story that really was about third party malware wasn't one of them.
I get it about the privacy idea you extol. I use duckduckgo on my phone and Linux on my desktop. I'm with you on the electronic privacy idea. The point I want to get across is you must take steps with iPhone as well as Android to protect your privacy. And realize after you take those steps, when you are using an electronic device you are leaving a trail. Neither Google or Apple is watching out for your best interest.

But anyway here is a link to a phone that runs Linux. I will seriously consider this phone when the time comes for a new phone.

Librem 5 Purism

I hope there are no hard feelings. Keep your eyes open and trust no corporation.

Nice post, its all good, I agree, there are no hard and fast rules. I agree you have to take steps on Apple as well, first thing I did was change the default google search engine to duckduckgo, and of course no gmail account tied to my iPhone, I have found its just easier to give google the boot with apple vs android and have moved over the the entire apple ecosystem, wife still a windows person, works out good for me too.
Years ago, what impressed me most is this,

Some background, for the last 8 years I had two cell phones (been using cell phones in general for 20 years) One cell phone was ALWAYS a work provided iPhone on Verizon network and my personal was ALWAYS an ATT Android phone, I always hated Apple and their overpriced phones when with Android I could buy a phone I REALLY loved with a larger screen and enjoyed more then the iPhones my company gave me to use. So I have a pretty good background on using both services ATT and Verizon and Andriod vs APPLE for 8 years, day in and day out, my personal cell and my company cell.
10's of thousands of miles covered actually 100's of thousands maybe. AS far as ATT vs Verizon, for me they were equal.

Ok, so then I started using Waze some years back, and that's when I started seeing some value in APPLE ... my iPhone was ALWAYS alerting me that Waze was tracking my location, even when I had the app closed so I would go in and "log out" (best description I can remember), my Android phone never alerted me. This was a constant thing that started impressing me, add to that me learning that my ENTIRE HISTORY (and everyone else's too) of everyplace my phone ever traveled for years and years, every location by date and time, is stored by google and accessible to anyone who accesses my google account! Good freaking god! The public in general is completely clueless.
I mean good god, it was then I started shutting all this crap off and really started turning anti google everything. I never used the gmail that everyone loves, who on earth is ok with google scanning your emails all in the name of free email??? but forced to activate an account when buying a new android phone or something like that. So always had an account I never used, then found out by default it was recording and tracking every place I traveled by time and date.

Anyway, Im now an APPLE person, of course NOTHING is private but you can fight it, Ill never lay down and let these corporations steal my and my family privacy without a fight.
All I am saying Apple for me personally was yet another starting point continuing my quest I have started when I was with Android and Windows.

Tim Cooks speech, may sound self serving but his company gives you the choice, with literally a click, you can rid your iPhone of any relationship with google. The public demands google and he give you it but it takes 3 seconds to remove it. In fact, like the guy or not, I agree with him and it truly was after that speech I decided to get behind his company and start supporting Apple.
I am now Android and Windows free (Ive been a windows person since 1995) and I am as best I can say, freaking AMAZED at the performance of my Mac mini desktop with 27 inch monitor as well as the SEEMLESS integration with my cell phone! I clear the cookies on my phone and it also clears my desktop, I clear them on my desktop and it also clears it on my phone. Take a photo? I can turn on my desktop and they are all there ... I know all this stuff can be done with any system but I dont really have the time in my life nor want to do it, Apple makes me feel much more secure, loving it and I see true VALUE in their system now, its really rare I ever feel this way about products but I actually feel the value of the iPhone and Apple desktop at its much higher price. Freaking desktop is fast as heck, amazed every time I use it, and feels so freaking "slim and trim" compared to Windows 10. Freaking Win 10, was hate love, eery freaking time an update would come along, something would stop working.

So really lets face it, IF there is a company that stands for privacy, there is no denying Apple respects that and gives you the option to do it. Its also accepted their App Store is more secure.

AS far as Lynx, I never claim to be literate with everything and Lynx I am completely illiterate too.
I can tell you, I am aware Android is used without google but I was talking practical sense to the public.
There are alarm system panels that use the Android system.

Cheers ... hope this makes sense, beautiful weekend starting today / Sat and need to get out of here, Boating on Sunday, mid 90s. Maybe the bike today ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Here is an interesting story that brings out the fact that the Apple browser, Safari, by default routes searches through Google. Yes, the evil empire itself!

Apple is a hypocrite

As I recall, Google pays Apple a nice sum of change for this. The number is in the billions, if I'm not mistaken.... Apple are hypocrites 'cause they're putting the almighty dollar before their user's privacy (and I'm typing this on an iMac, have a Macbook at home, and an iPhone in my pocket).

I just don't get it. It's beyond easy to change search engine. I don't even need to type the URL.

[Linked Image]

Google pays Apple $7B for the opportunity to earn $25B.

Given many recent occurrences across various platforms, I've abandoned google and YouTube.

Within Android, you have two broad areas - the open source component and the licensed Google component. Within the licenses Google component there are features that are licensed from companies like Microsoft. To run an open source Android only will have quite a few limitations, that is what Huawei is facing.

Then you have the Google products like the Play Store, Gmail, Google Assistant that a user can sign up for to enhance their smart phone. Again, this is something Huawei is struggling with and that's the reason they are not introducing new products. Whatever they introduce is an enhancement so that the licensed Google code are grandfathered in.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I just don't get it. It's beyond easy to change search engine. I don't even need to type the URL.

Not sure what you don't get. Google isn't paying Apple billions of dollars knowing that Apple users are immediately changing the default search engine, they're paying them because 99% of Apple users do not ever change it. Doesn't matter how it's done or how easy it's done.

I haven't read this thread or the link in the first post.

Is "alarm guy" on his privacy crusade again?

You know-the privacy none of us really have any way...........

If your concerned-stay off your computer, throw away your cell phone, pay cash for everything and live on a mountain in a cabin in Montana-and write a manifesto in your free time.

Last edited:
Back