Ancient oil found in my FIL garage

Here is some old Super Tech I believe rated SJ. I convinced him to put it in the recycling jug, even the mowers are newer than this oil lol. I doubt it would hurt a mower but it was only 3/4 of a quart and opened.
07DA4010-BB74-4BF4-8046-09B076A33E8C.jpeg

That oil is so old that it was bottled before oil refineries were invented.

Put some ancient stop leak trans fluid into my C6 trans ... oil is slightly newer than the 1977 F-100. Probably from the late 90s. Poured clean though :D

Can you see the copyright date on the label on the back? It's a straight SAE 30, so those API ratings might not be that old.

I’ll look this morning I’m guessing early to mid 1990s.

On a side note, the house I grew up in from second grade through college had an old drum of oil sitting under a tree when we moved in circa 1990. My dad was able to tilt the drum and get oil out, and promptly stated that was fine for the riding mower! It didn’t blow up so I guess he was right!
Looking back I would’ve loved to run a used oil analysis on that oil and have one more conversation with dad, even it is just so he could say I told you so.

I had 10x10 concrete slab where you went under the crawl space.That's where I kept my out of sight/out of mind junk.Three years I decided to get rid of my thirty three year collection.I come upon two cases of Castrol 10w30 never opened.I checked the manufacturing date and it was from January 1998.My son in law had a work truck that the engine needed rebuilding.Kept him going for three weeks.That was from my stash I bought at K Mart on sale at 99 cents a quart back in the 90's.At least it was used after sitting for over twenty years.

I’ll look this morning I’m guessing early to mid 1990s.
Anyone know when SuperTech branded oil started to be bottled and sold? Is there are date code, etc stamped on the bottle anywhere?

there was no copyright date on the label and no Walmart website to contact so makes me think mid 1990s. Not old enough or pretty enough to sit on one’s shelf for a collectors piece 🤣 I would have probably run it if I knew that it wasn’t mixed or I was the one who opened it, but it predates me in this family. I am now the caretaker of his OPE, boat etc and I really don’t want to take chances of damaging equipment and being reminded of it each Thanksgiving.

Back