Amtrak Cascades derailment near Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Engineer probably had his cell phone crammed in his ear chatting someone up about minutiae

That would be the case if it were on a curve, but it looks pretty straight so it's probably more of a maintenance thing or lack of it. Rails need to be inspected and replaced on a regular basis.

The rails are either brand new or redone. This is a old freight line that was upgraded to handle higher speed trains. So being this was the very first run raises a lot of questions. I haven’t heard if any trial runs were done before starting passenger service.

Yes they'd had other runs as late as last week to show the new Puget sound transit train off to the fake News!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Mr. Nice, to say that the accident was "lucky" when folks died is not the best choice of words. And being that crude oil most likely would not have necessarily ignited, the resulting death toll is only a presumption.

You're right.

Poor choice of words on my part.

FRom the latest news conference there are still bodies in the cars that are hanging off the bridge. It’s too dangerous for rescuers to enter those cars so the death toll sadly may go up.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Mr. Nice, to say that the accident was "lucky" when folks died is not the best choice of words. And being that crude oil most likely would not have necessarily ignited, the resulting death toll is only a presumption.

You're right.

Poor choice of words on my part.

No problem....I know your a decent guy. I'm being a bit obnoxious today anyway (back pain all morning).

It was mentioned on the news that the engine was pushing the train at 80 mph. If that is the case, how is the engineer expected to see obstructions on the track, particularly on the curve.

Someone should take these graffiti bandits and haul them off to jail. Had that been Govt property the consequences would have stopped it very quickly.

I have driven that stretch of road many times. I like taking the trailer down that way.

Sad that it happened. I know the city/town of Lacey was complaining about having the Amtrak come through town so fast.

That is about an 1 and 15 minutes from me in traffic. I hope the death toll does not rise.
frown.gif

Well, this is Seattle and early speculation is focusing on communist anarchists. Where else in this country do we have this problem?

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Someone should take these graffiti bandits and haul them off to jail. Had that been Govt property the consequences would have stopped it very quickly.

I'm not sure where you are in the country, but around here and all the way up the corridor between Washington DC and Boston, all the tracks have graffiti. Not actually very scenic on the ride down.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Marco620

I'm not sure where you are in the country, but around here and all the way up the corridor between Washington DC and Boston, all the tracks have graffiti. Not actually very scenic on the ride down.

I drive by a switching yard almost daily here east of the Cascades and have yet to see a boxcar untouched from graffiti. A perfectly clean one would look so out of place.

Its accidents like this (and bus accidents) the operator has to be put in jail for negligence.

Do you mean Amtrak or the engineer? The investigation and black box data will show what happened. Also, sabotage cannot be ruled out here.

Earlier this morning I was watching the "live chat" of a rail fan cam on youtube.
What the rail enthusiasts were discussing and speculating is a lot different from what the MSM has been reporting. I don't know anything much about trains so I won't speculate on the cause.

The rail fans said they've been testing the track since July, i.e. running empty trains on it.

Its accidents like this (and bus accidents) the operator has to be put in jail for negligence.

Do you mean Amtrak or the engineer? The investigation and black box data will show what happened. Also, sabotage cannot be ruled out here.

Yep, the black box will tell the true story. If it was excessive speed (curve limit is 30 MPH) then it will come out, and also how far before the curve any braking started to take place. Experts are saying (without black box confirmation) that it looks like the train hit the curve too fast, but it wasn't anywhere near 80 MPH. Probably didn't brake enough and entered way faster than 30 MPH though.

Death toll dropped to 3 now ... think it was at 6 at one time. Any accident like this is tragic even if everyone survives.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep, the black box will tell the true story. If it was excessive speed (curve limit is 30 MPH) then it will come out, and also how far before the curve any braking started to take place. Experts are saying (without black box confirmation) that it looks like the train hit the curve too fast, but it wasn't anywhere near 80 MPH. Probably didn't brake enough and entered way faster than 30 MPH though.

Death toll dropped to 3 now ... think it was at 6 at one time. Any accident like this is tragic even if everyone survives.

Reports say that the train didn't have positive train control which would have limited the speed if it was going too fast.

Looks like a relatively tight curve for a train being pushed at a reported 130km/h shortly before.

*clipped from washingtonpost

I saw a report on the news that a speed transponder logged the train at 81mph I believe 1/4 mile before the curve. I think most everyone knows metal wheels on metal tracks=trains, don't slow down that fast. Seems like speed is going to be a major factor in the cause of the accident. Its hard to believe that could be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back