All season w/ good snow traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oily boyd
FYI - some of the KR21's are made in Kumho's China plant.

Not slamming anyone here, I have them on my wife's Highlander.

This is true, the KR21s on my Buick are made in China. I've had no issues yet, but they are wearing unevenly and make a lot of noise (although a lot of that is our concrete roads). I doubt I would buy them again, unless I can somehow get a set that are not made in China.

FWIW, I had Kumho Ecsta something or other on my old Civic that were made in I guess Korea? Anyway they were really good tires.

Additionally, I would note that Kumho has recently opened a plant in Vietnam while delaying a planned plant in Georgia. Just, you know, FYI.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
I don't know how they can justify their prices when other companies have comparable products for 30-40% less price.

Usually the biggest factor is tread life, and a byproduct of it - the warranty. I didn't check but I bet all those higher priced ones have much higher tread life and warranty.
And performance through most of their life instead of just the early part of their life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Drew99GT said:
The Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS does come in 195/65R15. I have a set of 205/55R16 on my 2004 WRX and it handled snow admirably for an all-season tire. I wasn't exactly invincible, but with due care I think it's about as good as it gets in true all-season.

I have a set of RE960 with 30k in same size on 04 WRX wagon. At first they had decent enough traction in winter conditions. However they were not wonderful with cornering traction on snow. Great at stopping on snow/ice for an all-season.

Fast forward to 30k of wear at 5/32" tread depth on RE960's. The AWD is what gets my car moving. Stopping, steering and turning with these tires is really bad. I was lucky and avoided driving on snow/ice/slush except short distances. I will definitely shed them just before next winter as they are treachourous now.

Kind of too bad as they have about 10k left on warranty and likely wear. However it is doubtful I will drive that much in the next 9 months.

They are incredible tires in the other 3 seasons though. Overall really satisified, however I would not recommend for anyone looking for winter traction except for rare occasion.

Winter tires = winter roads

For such a stubborn bunch of folks when it comes to OCI's and such, I have no idea why it's so trendy around here to half-arse it with the only four points of contact on the road...

+1 for the Nokian WR, from what I've read and a co-worker who has them.

Personal use, I have Hankook Mileage Plus on the Saturn and they've been above average from my experience. Reasonablel priced as well.

However if there's any way you can get winters they are far superior.

I had Kumho's on both of my cars awhile ago and they were decent tires that were cheap. They were the TOURING 795's (the model which preceded the 21's) There was no way that they would last the rated 70K though. (then again what tire does last as long as it's rated)
Kumho's are no longer that much cheaper than other tires so they are no longer on my list to buy.

Yea, we're running the 795s on one vehicle and at 35,000 miles on them, they're about to the wear bars. TERRIBLE, and they have never balanced properly.

Drew: The 795's were a good deal at $36 each at TR but the 21's now cost $56 in the same size. (195/70/14). I know everything has gone up but there are other (non-Chinese made) tires that I can get for close to that price. So long Kumho.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Originally Posted By: calvin1
I don't know how they can justify their prices when other companies have comparable products for 30-40% less price.

Usually the biggest factor is tread life, and a byproduct of it - the warranty. I didn't check but I bet all those higher priced ones have much higher tread life and warranty.
And performance through most of their life instead of just the early part of their life.

the general altimax rt's have a 80k tread life warranty and are cheap to boot. This is an excellent performing reasonable priced tire.......

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Winter tires = winter roads

For such a stubborn bunch of folks when it comes to OCI's and such, I have no idea why it's so trendy around here to half-arse it with the only four points of contact on the road...

Some All-season tires are really good. Maybe not for Canada Snow situations, but when someone can't afford two sets of tires, a properly choosen AS tire will BE JUST fine with a driver with common sense..

Originally Posted By: Buffman

Some All-season tires are really good. Maybe not for Canada Snow situations, but when someone can't afford two sets of tires, a properly choosen AS tire will BE JUST fine with a driver with common sense..

Exactly my thoughts! If I need to get through more than 6" of snow I take the Bronco and leave the Taurus. I have a short handled square nose shovel in the trunk so I always know I can dig out if needed. This year the only roads that gave me trouble were the iced-over ones where no amount of rubber would have mattered: chains or studs only. Give my kr21's at least a little nap of snow and I'll do fine.

This winter I installed a set of Hankook Mileage Plus IIs and I'm quite satisfied with their traction. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
All season sucks in the snow and cold temperature PERIOD
Sorry not true..

Goodyear Triple Treads and Pirelli P4s work great in snow.

The Triple treads are as good (and in ice BETTER) than the snow tires I have right now.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Sorry not true..

The Triple treads are as good (and in ice BETTER) than the snow tires I have right now.

What snow tires you have now?

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Sorry not true..

What snow tires you have now?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I believe Bill has used Firestone Winterforces on his Corolla.
Ding we have a winner!
grin2.gif

Interesting... Consumer Report gives Triple Assurance and TRZ a low rating on ice performance. Winterforce isn't that bad either (especially in deep snow). I think only the lastest snow tires (WS60 or X-ice 2) perform slightly better on ice. If you can ignore its noise, the winterforce's performance is at par with X-ice, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back