All in ones for $500ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, we're moving to the HP EliteDesk 800 Mini. Dimensions are barely bigger than a paperback book - 6.97 x 1.34 x 6.89 in. You can find them used/refurb on eBay for less than $400; Dell and Lenovo equivalents are likely priced the same. Mount it to the back of a monitor and call it good.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-slimline...p?skuId=5759906

How does this look? Slightly partial to Bestbuy offerings to get 0% same as cash.

Its perfect for what you want, yes idealy maybe 8 megs of Ram would be better BUT you will never know the difference for what you use it for and it will BLOW away your netbook.
You will be thrilled with anything like this.

Based on your posts, without a doubt, Best Buy, Office Max/Office Depo, Staples, etc is the best place for YOU to buy. Easy to return, brand name products are perfect combination of price/performance for what you need.
I would never buy a used computer on ebay, again, based on your posts there is no need what so ever to buy used, the class of computer you need you will love, has a full warranty and will last for years without issues..
If you take your time and look for super great Best Buy Sales your in the right price range like the link you gave above.

Sometimes their $50 off sales are not that great but you do what is good for you, its not like you will save much more anyway, other times the same product, depending on time of year maybe $100 or more off but you cant go through life like that and electronics.

HERE IS THE BEST BUY SALE OF SALES, TODAY ONLY, $250 OFF, WAY MORE COMPUTER THEN YOU NEED BUT IF YOU GOT $350 WHY NOT, I WISH I HAD THIS DEAL 4 MONTHS AGO ...

CLICK - bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideacent...p?skuId=5887606

Dont be upset if you dont get it, way more computer power then you need, but the above is an example of a REAL Best Buy sale, the $50 off thing is more like everyday prices which is fine if that is all you want.

BUT I DOUBT VERY MUCH YOU WILL SEE A $250 OFF DEAL FOR THE NEXT SIX MONTHS ON SUCH A POWERFUL COMPUTER AND YOU CAN ADD THE AOC MONITOR FOR $100 AND YOU ARE STILL BELOW $500 EVEN INCLUDING THE TAX! AOC IS A GREAT MONITOR.

IM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT BUYING ONE AND MY COMPUTER IS NEW *LOL*

Last edited:
If you get a laptop or tiny form factor desktop beware of heat dissipation and potential dust buildup. The computer might throttle power to cool down or get flaky from overheated components.

If you have the space for a big ol' lunk it might work out better.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Your wrong, you stating your brand neutral, but dont need a super computer and think Intel is a better chip then AMD?

I have always preferred AMD chips for no other reason, then the perception of greater horsepower for less cost in my budget machines but dont get me wrong, price always won and have my share of Intel, when I say budget desktops I never bought so low budget that I would the baseline processors, such as a celeron etc.

That amd a12-9800 is 2/3 as fast as my 2011 [email protected].

9000cpumark vs 5600

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-slimline...p?skuId=5759906

How does this look? Slightly partial to Bestbuy offerings to get 0% same as cash.

Very slow.
Look for at least an i3 or ryzen processor, an a12 is ok too.

The computer below would be nearly 3x as fast as the one you posted.. I would probably upgrade its hdd to a 240GB SSD for around 60$-70$
and leave the hdd in for storage.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/503519/Aspire_TC-780-UR1A_Desktop_Computer

Keep in mind Rand, all he does is surf the net and currently uses a netbook with just an ok internet connection.
But agree one can get an A12 or Ryzen on a super sale (keeping in mind his budget) ... as I posted a one day sale above and he would be about as future proof that he would need for a while.

When comparing "chips" like to your 2011 i5, lets be realistic and not post one result but the computer as a whole, including current video, memory and other components and I doubt very much you paid less then $400 for your i5 in 2011 and doubt very much it will perform as good as some of the links I posted in the last 2 pages, all under $400.00. Once again, the OP is not looking to spend more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
All in One goes into the trash all at once.

A good reason not to buy one.

This, at least the monitor can last much longer.

Man that looks like a nice unit but I'd like to stay around $500 all in. It's replacing a little netbook with a dead key board that we've hooked an extra key board up to. Just looks ghetto, plus the tiny screen is annoying. In other words, it doesn't take much to beat what we have now!

In your case I'd suggest a used iMac. They are usually build better sturdier. My experience with HP at least is they have all the right components, but fit/finish/PCB quality is not as good and start having problem sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back