Air filter size recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a Weber conversion kit on my old Toyota pickup. The filters they come with are small and look similar to a K&N. I work in a pretty dusty area, so I'm not convinced that's the best type of filter for my use. Weber makes an adapter plate that you can install a standard Holley-type air cleaner to the carburetor, so I'm thinking about doing that and ordering a standard round air cleaner assembly for it.

What size is the most common, and how tall should it be? I was looking at a round filter that was 2" tall, but I can't remember the model. Wix's website said it was rated to flow 192 CFM. The Weber and OE carburetor are both rated right at about 325CFM. Do I need to find a taller filter for it?

I would use the largest one I could fit within reason. With all things equal a larger filter will filter better and last longer.

ROD

Yes, use the largest filter possible. The larger the filter, the lower the air velocity will be at the filter media. The lower the velocity, the less debris will even encounter your filter in the first place.

Stays cleaner, longer.

Yeah, I will use the largest I can--though I think hood clearance and possibly the valve cover will give me some limitations. I was just trying to find the most off-the-shelf size. It looks like 14" is pretty common in the aftermarket for assemblies, 2" or 3" high. I just want to be able to get a decent filter, like a NAPA Gold or whatever, instead of having to try and find a K&N or something like that to fit. I'd prefer good filtration probably more than flow, as the requirements for the engine aren't very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back