Torn Air Filter Gasket - Mahle / Nissan OEM

Pulled this air filter from service on inspection. Been installed only about 3000 miles. Its a Nissan branded Mahle. I know its Mahle because it matches the Mahle branded one what went back in, right down to the Jig marks from assembly.

What causes this? Defective gasket material?

It didn't fully split so no harm, but I pulled from service. I replaced with a Mahle filter I had on the shelf. I will check it soon also. I actually tried to replace it with a Denso filter, but the gasket was much more dense and very difficult to get the filter box closed. Since this car is driven by my daughter who is 100 miles away, I didn't want any issues in case someone else might open it some day. I will use that one in my truck next time.

Guess I am in search of a different brand again. I used nothing but Wix until they stopped with the metal mesh backing. This is the Mahle / OEM. Denso as mentioned is a little difficult to fit?

Looks like it follows along the creased line. Heat, quality of rubber/plastic, vibration, installation error? we're in a race to the bottom these days. Is there a date code on it anywhere?

Last edited:
6/7/22. It was stored inside the house until it was installed around November. I think I bought it likely a year ago or so.

1715031318912.jpg

Possibly overthinking this.
Oils in the flexible, orange gasket volatilized. That process got lid and box to stick. It just pulled apart; I think.
Likely not as dire as first thought.
Also SC, I make up P-Touch labels like "DO NOT OPEN" or "30K duty cycle" even "DO NOT INSPECT" and put 'em on the lid.
If it stops one lunkhead pig or even a harried young grease monkey from screwing up the air cleaner, you're ahead.
I reject criticism of this as I've fixed broken clips and correctly landed hinge lugs too frequently.

Oils in the flexible, orange gasket volatilized. That process got lid and box to stick. It just pulled apart; I think.
Also SC, I make up P-Touch labels like "DO NOT OPEN" or "30K duty cycle" even "DO NOT INSPECT" and put 'em on the lid.
If it stops one lunkhead pig or even a harried young grease monkey from screwing up the air cleaner, you're ahead.
I reject criticism of this as I've fixed broken clips and correctly landed hinge lugs too frequently.

I agree with your assessment that the quick lube shops can cause more harm than good when checking the filters. I had the Ford dealership strip the plastic air filter housing (screws going into plastic -- probably used power tool).

That said, if you're able to DIY, I still think there is value inspecting the filter occasionally (not over doing it, for me it's only once a year..) Although it's not common, these filters can and do tear or have other issues that require replacement. With the lower quality we're seeing from filters nowadays, we can assume it becomes more and more common.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good idea actually, think I will do that. In theory this should only come home to me, but things can happen. I wonder if a lube jockey would actually follow the direction anyway?

I agree with your assessment that the quick lube shops can cause more harm than good when checking the filters. I had the Ford dealership strip the plastic air filter housing (screws going into plastic -- probably used power tool).

That said, if you're able to DIY, I still think there is value inspecting the filter occasionally (not over doing it, for me it's only once a year..) Although it's not common, these filters can and do tear or have other issues that require replacement. With the lower quality we're seeing from filters nowadays, we can assume it becomes more and more common.
I inspect mine every oil change. They could tear or get wet or mice or whatever. This vehicle was purchased new and is now literally at 399,102 miles. My Nissan truck has the exact same box and filter and it has 185,000 miles. So that has to be at least 100 inspections between them. This is the first gasket failure I have seen?

6/7/22. It was stored inside the house until it was installed around November. I think I bought it likely a year ago or so.

View attachment 218067
Just to cover your bases don't push down the filter in the middle but rather push down the filter during installation towards the orange outer edge since that lip rides on the air box plastic (not saying you did or didn't). And as for this filter in particular there are many Made in Mexico w/o paying Mahle. I'd actually avoid one made there since it may come out of the same factory. Shop up on RockAuto & see if you find another one you want to try or go down to the local parts store to see how long their warranty is on theirs. Possibly be more convenient if they give you a one year warranty on it for example to swap it out if there are anymore issues. Unfortunately, ordering & storing to prepare for maintenance has this downfall of warranty expiring but you may not have had one on this particular one.

Basic, clean food practices help keep mice away from filters.
Yes, breakfast-lunch and dinner slime left on your hands attract vermin.

We live with mice, and nobody has air filter incursions because we keep it clean and sprinkle a few moth flakes into exterior ducting.

Just to cover your bases don't push down the filter in the middle but rather push down the filter during installation towards the orange outer edge since that lip rides on the air box plastic (not saying you did or didn't). And as for this filter in particular there are many Made in Mexico w/o paying Mahle. I'd actually avoid one made there since it may come out of the same factory. Shop up on RockAuto & see if you find another one you want to try or go down to the local parts store to see how long their warranty is on theirs. Possibly be more convenient if they give you a one year warranty on it for example to swap it out if there are anymore issues. Unfortunately, ordering & storing to prepare for maintenance has this downfall of warranty expiring but you may not have had one on this particular one.
I almost hardly touch the filter itself. It fits nicely in the box. The issue is that there are three tabs on the top half of the housing that fit into 3 slots on the bottom. The middle tab doesn't like to fit into the slot when the filter gasket is tight. If you just push the cover will deform enough such that the middle tab still isn't in the hole but you can get the clips closed. That is what usually happens when done wrong - lots of different complaints on the Nissan boards of even the dealer not seating it properly. The top of hte housing with the tabs is the clean side of the filter, so if its not put in correctly you could be pulling unfiltered air, even if just a small amount.

This is the bottom - problem slot circled. Otherwise its a pretty good setup. Its probably still easier than my wife's Toyota - which is a similar but smaller housing but there is not space around it so your working blind.

1715035016378.jpg

Probably the foam seal sticking to the filter housing as you took it out. Harmless, as the crack will close shut as you put it back and clamp down the lid on it.

So to satisfy my curiosity I tried pulling the other three sides apart - the split is only on that one side. No go - there not separating. I think the "it stuck" theory is unlikely.

I assume heat is part of the molding process? Maybe that side was too hot or not hot enough? I am pretty sure its a material issue.

So to satisfy my curiosity I tried pulling the other three sides apart - the split is only on that one side. No go - there not separating. I think the "it stuck" theory is unlikely.

I assume heat is part of the molding process? Maybe that side was too hot or not hot enough? I am pretty sure its a material issue.
As I was reading this post.. then saw your post.. It's exactly that, a manufacturing defect causing the seal to become brittle/weak and split. This whole "Race to the bottom" is getting ridiculous. And unless you have a materials engineering lab to test it out when new, no way to know it's going to happen over time.

I'd definitely avoid these filters for now.. looks like they need some help on the production line! some will say it happens, nothing's perfect.. that's true, but you can increase your success rate by not going back to that brand.. just wow.. maybe they'll fix it in the future, I wouldn't want to take the chance..

Back