Air conditioner charged properly, compressor running, still blows hot air

I'm in the weeds trying to diagnose AC problems. My AC worked all last summer. The engine was rebuilt over this past winter (refrigerant evacuated as well). I tried to charge it myself (which I did correctly) but it wouldn't take any refrigerant. Low side and high side both quickly went to about 70 psi and stayed there. Then, I had my friend charge it, engine off, with one of those machines. He added the exact required amount of refrigerant, but it still blows warm air. In both scenarios, the compressor and radiator fan kick on and are running when the AC is turned on, but no cold air. There are no leaks, everything is connected, fuses are good. Any ideas?

I don't know the pressures now, but when I tried to charge it, the low side stayed too high and the high side was too low-both around 70 psi. The low side pressure didn't go up and down, nor did the high side pressure gradually increase like it's supposed to .I'll check the suction line right quick.

Pressure's??

Is the Suction Line (large line from Evaporator) cold?
I don't know the pressures now, but when I tried to charge it, the low side stayed too high and the high side was too low-both around 70 psi. The low side pressure didn't go up and down, nor did the high side pressure gradually increase like it's supposed to .I'll check the suction line right quick.

If it is plugged in and without seeing the car My next guess is the compressor control valve. That car has a clutchless compressor. It is always spinning when the engine is running. The valve makes the compressor pump or not pump.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-200632.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-200632.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 16
If it is plugged in and without seeing the car My next guess is the compressor control valve. That car has a clutchless compressor. It is always spinning when the engine is running. The valve makes the compressor pump or not pump.
Thanks. That explains why I couldn't tell if the compressor was running since it just spins all the time like any other pulley.

Mine is the 2.4l engine if it matters.

That could be suspect if your compressor has one. Our 08 VW rabbit needed thst to be replaced. Was the only thing the car ever needed. It just got gradually worse, not cooling like it should....

Back