Topping up AC system

Last fall I fixed a leak in my AC system and was able to verify its proper operation while in the defrost mode on my 2008 Chev Suburban with front and rear AC. I also checked for more leaks, checking all lines and the condenser using a dye marker. I posted all of this last fall on Bitog.

I tried the AC this spring when the temps hit 70 F yesterday. No luck. I checked the pressure it looks like I have 20 psi static pressure on both sides. The AC will not run, probably due to the low pressure switch being activated. I already changed the system to R12A which is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant legal in Canada that has no restrictions regarding capture. Seeing that it took 5 months to go from 40 psi to 20psi I’m planning on loading another canister of R12A to bring the pressure up. Is anyone else nursing along a leaky AC system? Is a 20 psi loss in 5 months a liveable situation on a beater? I’ll try to find the leak but I’m not too optimistic about it. Any thoughts? Thanks. Here are some shots from last fall.

783D9E5B-ED42-4D2E-A20A-3A55A3FDA51C.jpg
A3D383CE-B7B2-42C2-B669-4C28B3938B8E.jpeg
22CAD703-97B5-4FDA-B6CB-0BF5C4A43A48.jpeg
D8F14801-65AD-455B-8855-436909701FB7.jpeg
96059A15-78C9-47A5-884C-7CA92C8B624D.jpg

Last edited:
Since you already added dye and it had the entire winter to leak out, did you break out the black light and have another look? It could be an easy fix. If not top it up and call it a day since it is a beater.

InterDynamics A/C Pro ACP-102 Ultra Synthetic A/C Recharge R-134a Car Refrigerant - 12 OZ​

This is what I used last year on my 2014 F150. We had "hot' weather two weeks ago and I still have 42F air coming out

Dye rides with the oil, it doesn't come out of leaks much unless the system is charged up and running.

HC refrigerant can be detected with a flammable gas leak detector but there tend to be a lot of false alarms on a car.

Or evaporator or condenser etc. 2 common leak points on that truck.

Iirc it holds about 3 lbs of refrigerant. That's a huge leak and should be easy to find.

Also needing ac @ 70 degrees lol.
He said tried it, not needed it.

And I love when you desert folk visit the Right™️ coast. 90 in NC will have you begging to go back to the desert.

Dye rides with the oil, it doesn't come out of leaks much unless the system is charged up and running.

HC refrigerant can be detected with a flammable gas leak detector but there tend to be a lot of false alarms on a car.

It's pretty easy to see on my Saturn compressor.
IMG_4187.JPG

And a flammable gas leak detector? I don't think those have been used since the 50's. You do know that burning freon creates deadly phosgene fumes?

This is true, but the AC was used last season, it had plenty of time to find its way out. The OP has a pretty big leak it should be easy to find as others mentioned.

My guess is that 20PSI means the system is nearly empty. Propane/butane will produce a set pressure, based on temperature, until the liquid is gone.

Propane/butane will produce a set pressure, based on temperature, until the liquid is gone.
"R12a" is a mixture and it will fractionate in a leak situation, with the more volatile component (propane) leaving first. Thus it should all be removed and replaced with new to ensure the proper mixture.

The detector used by gas fitters to detect leaks. This is less expensive than a refrigerant detector and also more sensitive to HC since that is what it is designed to detect.

"R12a" is a mixture and it will fractionate in a leak situation, with the more volatile component (propane) leaving first. Thus it should all be removed and replaced with new to ensure the proper mixture.

The detector used by gas fitters to detect leaks. This is less expensive than a refrigerant detector and also more sensitive to HC since that is what it is designed to detect.

Yep, this is the one I have and is perfect because my R12A is essentially propane, which is legal in Canada in auto AC systems.

Well dang. I found the dye leak. Surprisingly its at the same place as last time, even though I replaced the seal. It’s where the high pressure line enters the evaporator. I had used the HC Sniffer with it running after the original repair and did not detect anything. We had temps down to 0 F this winter so I’m wondering it that’s when it let go. Also wondering if I have corrosion or a crack in the evaporator itself. Here’s a shot showing the green dye.

9478459B-DCF5-4CC8-935C-EE53464F641D.jpeg

Back