Air bag light on Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2004 Odyssey had the passenger side airbag light come on intermittently since it was new. Unfortunately, it was always off when my wife took it to the dealer, so they said there was nothing to check and nothing to fix. Now it is on all the time. I suspect a loose wire or relay.

Are there any suggestions on where to look to find and fix the problem, or is it going to be beyond my simple skills?

I suspect a bad "this seat is occupied" sensor but there should be a code history. Different dealer?

I personally wouldnt mess with airbag systems when it comes to disconnecting and reconnecting stuff.

Some OBD II scanners can apparently get SRS fault codes, that is where Id start.

Sad that such a new vehicle had issues, was it ever in a low-speed bump that didnt deploy the airbags?

No bumps. Just a problem light since shortly after we bought it new. It is now a problem because it significantly degrades the car's value for trade in.

I bet it does mess with the resale if it were not fixed. I bet the only people to buy a minivan have a boat load of kids and get a minivan for the room and safety. Airbag light being on is a sign to walk away from that purchase imho. But if it were fixed most likely with a scanner or reset and didnt come back on then no worry. But i do agree a scanner will be your solution. Something to think about as well is that you might not have airbags if you get into an accident so be carefull or at least have life insurance premiums paid up. JK, kind of.

Since this is the Oil Forum I will say, "A good 0w30 synthetic ought to do the trick!"
smile.gif

I wish I knew more about the problem and I would be glad to help. Hope you can get it worked out soon.

Originally Posted By: coffee
Since this is the Oil Forum I will say, "A good 0w30 synthetic ought to do the trick!"
smile.gif

I was waiting for something like that!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
No bumps. Just a problem light since shortly after we bought it new. It is now a problem because it significantly degrades the car's value for trade in.

IIRC airbags need to be replaced at 10 years, so resale is going to come into play soon anyway.

I have been using M-1 5w-30 and never made the connection. So, if the Honda dealer can't fix it on Thursday, I guess I can try changing the oil. The service guy at Honda told me it is a lifetime warranty item, so this shouldn't be so bad and we should have fixed it a long time ago.

OP:

Find out what the code is and what the details are...make sure to ask the dealer to let you SEE what the tool reads out. I'd ask to actually go out there to the car AS THEY ARE PULLING THE CODES!

Keep us informed about this. Thanks.!

The service guy said it was some sensor in the passenger side airbag, but it was covered. However, there would be a $ 30 fee for something. That would have been fine, but we traded it in on a Pilot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back