Agonizing eBay seller

I bought a tool a few weeks ago. It was shipped and delivered. I was happy. I’ve used it many times.

A few days after delivery, I received a notification saying it shipped with live tracking number. I messaged the seller about the issue (I already had the item; what else shipped?) and they said “yes it shipped, thanks.” It was “delivered” with a time, I but I didn’t have a package. Messaged them again and they told me to go look for it. You can imagine how the next few messages went. I was left scratching my head.

Today they told me the item has only been shipped once. I give up. At what point are you no longer liable for an eBay sellers mess up? That was my biggest concern as it was a high dollar item.

They will probably reconcile it when they check your Ebay account i.d. & see the true shipping/tracking data.

Not sure what your concern is. Ignore the seller. You paid for the item, they shipped it to you, and you're happy. Move on...
but maybe they have other good stuff & you'll be back? just sayin'. their screw up, they'll solve it if they are a decent vendor. stuff happens.

I bought a tool a few weeks ago. It was shipped and delivered. I was happy. I’ve used it many times.

A few days after delivery, I received a notification saying it shipped with live tracking number. I messaged the seller about the issue (I already had the item; what else shipped?) and they said “yes it shipped, thanks.” It was “delivered” with a time, I but I didn’t have a package. Messaged them again and they told me to go look for it. You can imagine how the next few messages went. I was left scratching my head.

Today they told me the item has only been shipped once. I give up. At what point are you no longer liable for an eBay sellers mess up? That was my biggest concern as it was a high dollar item.

Sounds like a screw-up on their end.

They either really did mail it twice.. or, they mailed it once, without shipping info (did the first/only time have shipping and tracking information?) and then put their "live shipping" (shipping label???) into the Track Item field, and were clueless from there.

Noble effort on your part, but I'm dealing with your typical version of this. Ordered a high dollar item. Had it sent to shop. Says "Delivered." Put all their information on it. I get there, shop owner states it never came, and he would be the one that would be receiving it, etc. So it is officially lost. Best case there would be, either someone finds it, somewhere, or it gets sent again. Yours just happened in reverse.. it shipped once and said it did twice. Mine, says delivered once and may need to be sent twice.

You are under no obligation here, if they persist, show them photographs of the item they sold and you received and call EBay Customer Service or whatever they have online for it. You can mark their shipping information as received, as well, I think, and end it that way too.

Your post is INSANELY CONFUSING.
"A few days after delivery......but I didn't have a package.....You can imagine how the next few messages went..."

Wha...? When did you learn the value of a good proof-reading?
He got the package.. had it in his hand. Then they sent him an email saying it was shipped and eventually delivered but he already had it.

I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as they don't bill you for it twice. I've had issues with tracking myself, sometimes it doesn't update until several days later. Better than getting junk (I have) or not getting it at all!

He got the package.. had it in his hand. Then they sent him an email saying it was shipped and eventually delivered but he already had it.
Exactly. Ebay messages may be delayed sometimes. Is it such a stretch to imagine the message sent was for an item already received? You paid for the item, you got the item, you like the item, hopefully you left feedback for the item. No more communication with the seller needed.

Don’t overthink those transactions . You got it and he got paid That’s all there is. About the best thing if you feel a need to follow up just send them a message on the user dashboard stating that you already got it. That will take care of the misinformation.

"A few days after delivery......but I didn't have a package.....You can imagine how the next few messages went..."

A little harsh. Jeeze.

That's what I read. Give it a few days for the haze to clear up. Does not seem like any stress for the OP at this point.

Agonizing eBay buyer?

Ah, now I recall when I ordered a triangle musical instrument off eBay and two of them showed up. Drunken purchase. Don't ask why. It's still in the shipping envelope. LOL. But I messaged the seller to let them know I ordered one and paid for one but received two. They said thanks for your honesty. Keep it. Now, I have two musical triangles. LOL.

Unless or until someone starts demanding you pay for two tools or return the extra one, stop agonizing.

Last edited:
I’m failing to see how this is confusing. Let’s use fictitious dates to make it easy.

I bought an item and it was delivered on the 1st. I received the item. I was happy. I received a new tracking number on the 5th saying it was shipped and that another item was on its way.

Me trying to be honest, I notified the seller about the issue. I was thanked and that was all. It was later “delivered” on the 10th, but I never received the package. They told me to look for it.

Yes, I’m the agonizing eBay buyer... *heavy sarcasm*

No.

The original tracking number’s dates did not correlate with the second set and were a few days late.

A live tracking number means it’s live. If it was delivered, it wouldn’t be live. This was explained on my OP.

I explained everything again for you... Do you need me to sit down with you with a box of crayons?

You don’t need to read what I post. 👍

Last edited:
Yes, I’m the agonizing eBay buyer... *heavy sarcasm*
Just in case you didn't know, you're obligated to do nothing. You don't need to acknowledge the seller's email, the notification of shipment for an item you already rec'd, and so on. Just forget it... It's not even being rude especially in the case of a full-time seller on eBay. They aren't reading most messages they receive and much of what they "send" is automated to an extent.

Back