eBay experts / got ripped off

I am amused when something I order on Ebay, is delivered by an Amazon Prime Van.
Not sure what is going on, but it usually arrived far earlier than expected, the few dozen times this has occurred.

You should be able to call eBay.

I had a similar issue about 4 years ago. Bought an item at 10am. The seller provided a tracking number to an address in my town that was created at 9am. The scheduled delivery date was even when the item was said to be delivered. No idea how they obtained a UPS tracking number, but they did.

I ended up calling eBay. They were very hung up on the fact that a tracking number was provided. They wanted me to file a police report too. When I finally mentioned the time discrepancy, she got it. I may or may not have told her since she wasted my time, I get to waste hers now and went into a long dissertation on how they wanted every piece of info imaginable, but they were unable to read and comprehend said info. She may or may not have said how she understood and I may or may not have said “I don’t think you do! If you did, we wouldn’t be having this conversation!”

More than once I’ve had stuff on eBay get a tracking number entered in, then it was changed or the item came separately. Not sure if it’s for “metrics”, or because of some ways to save on shipping costs, or what. I’ve always gotten my items but it has become weird.

One thing I bought they sent me a post card saying they donated $1 to some charity because of my purchase. That was the tracked item. eBay got the number and it was delivered “on time”. Item came later. I suspect it was a sham to be able to have plausible deniability that they operated on time whike not actually having the item they were selling.
I had very similar scam, but I think it was amazon - 3rd party seller. Wife ordered a very expensive textbook used, and they sent an empty priority mail envelope to my house. Tracking showed it arrived but there was nothing in it - and it didn't fall out, the envelope was still sealed. The only way I won that dispute is the postmark from the Post Office showed it weighted 1 oz, and Amazon's website description said the textbook weighed several lbs.

I had very similar scam, but I think it was amazon - 3rd party seller. Wife ordered a very expensive textbook used, and they sent an empty priority mail envelope to my house. Tracking showed it arrived but there was nothing in it - and it didn't fall out, the envelope was still sealed. The only way I won that dispute is the postmark from the Post Office showed it weighted 1 oz, and Amazon's website description said the textbook weighed several lbs.
So running a scam like that can't last long. Must have been worth the $7-8 shipping it cost them. Crazy stuff.

What was their feedback? Must have been only a few, or this was their final asinine swan song.

1692540362521.jpg

plausible deniability
Interesting someone told me 2 weeks ago if any of the UPS shipments I'm sending (I've had it with UPS and work) are lost, to use that term.

But I got these project managers whom only want tracking and don't want to hear about the unreliability of UPS.

I shipped a box contents worth $7k out of my office, and there was no tracking whatsoever, until the day before delivery. It went from NJ to Vernon, CA, without any scans. This happens all the time. I even drove a replacement myself to the UPS store so I'd have a receipt.

I just shipped 15 boxes to same location in CA, and oh, snap, all gone, no delivery date but had an origin scan.

I'm just waiting this one out and hopefully next week I can click a button with eBay.

Again, for us that aren't "that" into it, I'll be looking for 100% positive feedback or no order (99.7% is same as far as I'm concerned, 98 97 96 is not). This guy was 96% but had the same complaints listed as I have. I didn't bother to read his negative feedback I just bought the item.

Interesting someone told me 2 weeks ago if any of the UPS shipments I'm sending (I've had it with UPS and work) are lost, to use that term.

But I got these project managers whom only want tracking and don't want to hear about the unreliability of UPS.

I shipped a box contents worth $7k out of my office, and there was no tracking whatsoever, until the day before delivery. It went from NJ to Vernon, CA, without any scans. This happens all the time. I even drove a replacement myself to the UPS store so I'd have a receipt.

I just shipped 15 boxes to same location in CA, and oh, snap, all gone, no delivery date but had an origin scan.

I'm just waiting this one out and hopefully next week I can click a button with eBay.

Again, for us that aren't "that" into it, I'll be looking for 100% positive feedback or no order (99.7% is same as far as I'm concerned, 98 97 96 is not). This guy was 96% but had the same complaints listed as I have. I didn't bother to read his negative feedback I just bought the item.
If it’s that much $ I’d be sending registered mail.

So running a scam like that can't last long. Must have been worth the $7-8 shipping it cost them. Crazy stuff.

What was their feedback? Must have been only a few, or this was their final asinine swan song.
Going from memory. It was long ago, my wife bought it - but when it blows up it becomes my problem. If your married you understand.

I remember them having maybe 3 positive feedbacks, which are easy to spoof. Also a new account. Not someone I would ever buy from, but my wife is not so street smart. It was a very expensive textbook, over $200 new so I think she sent them like $130 or something? When I googled the return address it didn't exist - it was a road in the middle of nowhere somewhere in the midwest I can't recall.

However, a couple years ago I purchased a fishing reel that was supposed to be in good working condition with some boat rash. When I received it the stem was broken, had been glued back together and painted silver. This obviously makes it worthless - your not going to rely on glue holding. It wasn't in the pictures. I figured they just weren't knowledgeable on fishing gear, and it wasn't a ton of money, so I contacted the seller. They said too bad - no returns? I went through ebay's process and got my money back. There still on ebay. I was unable to give them a rating, since ebay forced the return. Apparently they can do some things right since they have sold many items, which is what makes my ordeal so much stranger - why would they even want to go to dispute at all.

This was sort of "I am done with ebay" moment, as it was far from the first. I purchase a few things I can't find anywhere else, but that is it.

1692554312781.jpg

I've had a few issues with eBay sellers in the past but very few, I know you can call them as I've done it before, I've found that eBay mostly sides with the buyer or at least they used too. The tracking provided should easily be a red flag as it's not going to your location but I think they might overlook that information as long that tracking was provided.

I found a seller who had mixed reviews but I've had good luck at least up until now, I was buying older Dell laptops to fix up and resell and purchased 2x laptops but the one they sent was the wrong one and also DOA, it even shorts out the ac adapter when you power it on. I've since left negative feedback which I rarely ever do and will not purchase from that seller again. I've found it's too much of a hassle anyways because by the time I invest a few dollars into these things that I can't even turn a profit that they only want it is if you are practically giving it away which I am not in any mood to do so. Awhile back even good used laptops were bringing at least $200+ but now you keep finding them under $100 even with Windows 10. I feel my prices were fair and really wasn't making much profit anyways but if I can't sell them then it's not really any point to continue down that road.

I am amused when something I order on Ebay, is delivered by an Amazon Prime Van.
I was going to ask what does the paperwork say but Amazon doesn't include anything like packing lists. What's happening is the seller either sells on both platforms and when you buy it from their eBay account, they turn around and "buy" it through Amazon and let Amazon ship it. Or, they sell it to you through eBay and have a connection to an Amazon seller. It would need to be available cheaper on Amazon though for this to make sense (for the seller).

I was going to ask what does the paperwork say but Amazon doesn't include anything like packing lists. What's happening is the seller either sells on both platforms and when you buy it from their eBay account, they turn around and "buy" it through Amazon and let Amazon ship it. Or, they sell it to you through eBay and have a connection to an Amazon seller. It would need to be available cheaper on Amazon though for this to make sense (for the seller).
could the ebay seller not have had anything in his hands at all, and was able to fulfill the ebay sale via ordering on amazon? Like they are playing rock auto at a smaller scale? Basically what you're saying, can this be done regularly...

Yes, to all your questions
I think that it could potentially lead to errors and customer dissatisfaction....jmoymmv

There are fortune 100 companies where their business processes are simply bad, imagine a guy with a computer playing rock auto....

This is a first....ordered an item on eBay and seller put tracking info that did not pertain to the item. My item was Lego, and the tracking was for a 20 package shipment to Philadelphia. I don't live in Philadelphia.

Doesn't seem to be any way to contact eBay (I remember talking to them on the phone maybe 3 years ago)--any quick steps to dispute, before it's too late?

I requested a refund and provided negative feedback, but if I were a betting man, I'm out of luck.

Thanks!
If you buy something on eBay and do not get it eBay will handle it.
You are never stuck. Another post by someone above provided you information.

Back