Aftermarket remote start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting remote start installed on my Elantra before the winter. I have no experience with this stuff. I just want simple engine on/off, nothing else. I'd have a shop do the work.

What're some good brands/things to know? Anything special to keep in mind with my car's proximity key?

If your Hyundai happens to have the Bluelink or whatever it's called, you can use that in conjunction with a smart phone.
I don't know if your model has that or if it's on the higher end models.

You should check out what Hyundai has to offer. I wouldn't want my wiring butchered on a new car to save a buck.

https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/oem-parts/hyundai-remote-start-key-start-g3f57ac200/?c=Zz1zZWN1cml0eSZzPWtleWxlc3MmYT1oeXVuZGFpJm89ZWxhbnRyYSZ5PTIwMTgmdD1zZWwmZT0yLTBsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

The installer doing the remote start install is the biggest component of the whole process. A bad install can make the greatest of systems (and your car) perform like trash.

If you're anywhere near Erie, PA -- check out Enormis Mobile Specialties. They do Very Good work!

Remote starter in the Accord is 6 years old and have yet to have an issue with it -- they put it in.

Just take it to a known good installer. Generally the guys who do good autosound installs also sell and install remote starts, versus a regular auto repair shop. Or the dealer if you go that way for repair work, although the car stereo guys are cheaper and possibly have better products available they know work.

Pick a shop and let then guide you to the product they want to install. The electrical side of it will be done properly that way.

Used to be very common here (cold winters) back when it wasn't a feature on new cars. Only real problem is whether it's fuel injected or not; a FI car works better although carb equipped vehicles can also be done, they just have to be in good cold start condition.

Treat the key fob like poison (literally) ... don't leave it where kids or an inadvertent pocket knock can start the car (sort of like (and the site is going to censor this word) " [censored] dialing" a cellphone to 911.

Be especially careful if your garage is attached to the house. Install CO2 detectors where appropriate.

I have a remote aftermarket starter on my 2012 Honda Civic. I have used it for 4 years and it is run in the morning, noon, and right before I go home from work. I use mine all the time and probably have
10,000 unaccounted for miles on my Honda because of the hours it is run in the fall, winter, and spring. I love getting in a warm vehicle when it's cold outside. Just ask around to determine who does the best work in your area. I know it's probably not the best for the engine to idle so much but I keep the oil clean in it.

I have a unit label CompuStar in my 2004 Tundra I bought used six years ago. It works great. Never had a problem with it. Nothing beats it when the temperature is 15 below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back