Sacrificing Key Fob for Remote Start

Hi all,

I'm pursuing options for aftermarket remote start install on the GLI...being push-to-start and a manual transmission it makes things tricky. They can't use the standard immobilizer module like they would be able to on the DSG cars, so I would have to give a key permanently to the module under the dash. As I debate whether or not the extra $350 that it would cost to get an additional key purchased and programmed is worth it, what would be stopping someone from being able to just break in and drive off assuming a key is remaining permanently in the car? Am I missing something with how the immobilizer works?

I don’t know if they make a module for sticks, but (I’ll have to see if I can find the website) I got a module that piggybacks into the OBD-2 harness and you hit lock-unlock-lock to initiate remote start on my ‘19 F150. It was like remote-start.com or something like that, has worked flawlessly for 3 years.

I see you're in ND so maybe it's worth it to you to get the remote start. I have in my Camry and used it about 4 times 8 years. It's good if you're car is snow covered and you want to warm it up or if you park outside and want to warm it up. Most of the time I either forget about using the remote start or don't want to wait for the car to warm up. I wouldn't get it again.

I see you're in ND so maybe it's worth it to you to get the remote start. I have in my Camry and used it about 4 times 8 years. It's good if you're car is snow covered and you want to warm it up or if you park outside and want to warm it up. Most of the time I either forget about using the remote start or don't want to wait for the car to warm up. I wouldn't get it again.
Yeah my climate makes it almost a necessity to me at least. I heat my garage so mornings are fine it's really for when I'm leaving work that it's nice.

Hi all,

I'm pursuing options for aftermarket remote start install on the GLI...being push-to-start and a manual transmission it makes things tricky. They can't use the standard immobilizer module like they would be able to on the DSG cars, so I would have to give a key permanently to the module under the dash. As I debate whether or not the extra $350 that it would cost to get an additional key purchased and programmed is worth it, what would be stopping someone from being able to just break in and drive off assuming a key is remaining permanently in the car? Am I missing something with how the immobilizer works?
Compustar won't interface without an extra key?

Back