After Break-in Report, Ducati Multistrada DVT 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've passed 1500 miles (2400 km) which is the end limit of the "break-in" period Ducati lays out in the manual. Not that it matters since a dynamometer break-in was performed on the bike pre-delivery by the master tech at the dealership. But I thought I would share some observations on the bike.

Previously had a 2013 Multistrada, with which I hit a deer. I got rid of that bike and got this one. There are some things about the former multi that I do miss.

No more cubby compartment in the fairing to put small items like garage door opener, flip phone, or etc in. Why they eliminated that I'm not sure but it was a complete redesign in model yr 2015 so I guess the new fairing doesn't have the space for it although it looks like they could have fit some sort of pocket on each side of the fairing but didn't.

Bronze powder coat on engine clutch cover, water pump cover, and single sided swing arm shows way more road grime than the black of the '13.

Cornering lights are really too dim to illuminate into curves very much at night. Helps some but nothing major. They activate when the bike is leaned.

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires-- the rear is wearing faster than the Pirelli Scorpion Trail I's that were on the '13. Go figure. Not Ducati's fault though.

TFT dash display screen-- getting feather scratches too easily. Known issue and Ducati replaces under warranty or so I've heard.

Tank mounted kill switch-- '13's was a nice metal unit with rubber covered push button, felt like a quality piece. They went to a cheap feeling plastic dial type for the redesign.

Saddle-- Could comfortably put in mile after mile in the '13's saddle. Not so with the DVT. Uncomfortable enough to encourage stopping for fuel earlier than really needed.

Engine-- The famed torque flat spot is there from about 4500-6000 (11K redline) It's not really a lack of power it's just that from about 3000-4500 there is a decent torquey feel that tapers off between 4500 and 6000 and then at 6000 it starts pulling hard, like a turbo has spooled up. Exiting curves during spirited riding requires getting accustomed to this way the power curve behaves right now. I say right now because Ducati apparently has it sorted with the new Enduro version of the multi and that map is rumored to be on the way as a free software flash for all models of the multi. Full RBW throttle: softer response than the cable/TPS based '13, not less power delivery, just... different. Engine is smoother/steadier 2000 to about 3500rpm than the '13 thanks to the variable valve timing.

Exhaust note-- much better than the '13, much. I actually love the way it sounds tweaking it off idle. There is an exhaust flapper valve that phases in as rpm climbs to muffle some of the goodness, I guess for EPA compliance or whatever. Need to dispense with that. Emits three or four pops upon down shifting too, likely due to lean or rich fueling, but I'm good with it because it sounds kind of cool in harmony with the unique exhaust note of the v-twin 1198 Testastretta. Youtube vids are no good because they always pick up the treble of the Desmo valve train and the bass note of the DVT's exhaust just isn't conveyed in the videos.

Air filter access-- get ready for this. You have to remove the fairing and the fuel tank to get to the air filter to change it. Not like. At all. With the '13 the access port was side mounted and only required to remove a small side fairing to get access to the allen bolts topside of the access cover and slide the filter out. Was about a ten minute job max.

Brakes-- front is pulsating, not much but it's there. Known issue, numerous reports. Ducati covers under warranty.

So what's the overall verdict? Are you keeping it?
smile.gif

Good write up. Sounds like you wish you kept the old one? Regarding the air filter, a lot of bikes are now at the stage where you have to disassemble half the machine to access it. Even my NC750S, which is a very basic naked bike, needs lots of bodywork removed to get to the filter. It's such a stupid design. I'll just replace it at 24,000km as per the schedule, with no cleaning in between times. Hey, it could be worse, google Goldwing air filter replacement...

Hit a deer with the old one, otherwise I'd still have it, was definitely a keeper.

Going to see about better saddle options... Corbin makes a comfortable seat for it but I don't like the way it looks. Touratech has a touring seat I need to look more into. That's the main thing. I can't abide having my rear end and the gf's being punished on long rides by a bad seat design. When I was younger I'd likely be tolerable of backside comfort but at 53 my tolerance is lower.

Oh, and this is not the bike's fault and may well be the case on any bike for me now... but my right shoulder starts bothering me after an hour or so too. BUT, I had a pretty bad AC joint separation in that shoulder October 2014 from a mishap on the old bike out on a trail. Probably any set of bars on any bike is going to cause discomfort in that shoulder from now on. Only solution to that is probably to quit riding, which I'm not ready to do yet. Maybe when I'm 93.

hpb, that makes me feel a little better about the air filter situation !!

How's the transmission? Gear changes and Clutch disengagement and take-up?

Last edited:
Trans feeling better, was pretty tight. Clutch was kind of grabby, getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back