Ever See This Sort of Thing Before: High Lift Cam has pattern in it

Is there a chance you could get a pic of the follower's wear surface?

I'd be tempted to take that cam out, polish the surface and possibly replace the follower.

Is there a chance you could get a pic of the follower's wear surface?

I'd be tempted to take that cam out, polish the surface and possibly replace the follower.
I think that would be a great course of action. I was planning on removing the cam if BMW didn’t come though BUT

Update!
Went in person to BMW dealer. Showed pictures. Tech never seen this on the R1250 before. Agreed looked like early failure. We walked out to my bike and two guys agreed the valve train is noisey. Service man fired up his bike (same engine) and showed me. Mine is definitely noisy in comparison.

Also learned something … my bike is still under warranty! I was mistaken. I’m going to take it in and they are going to submit a claim. Service guy told me BMW will probably change all cams and lifters.

I’ll keep you posted but that was probably best outcome. I’m thinking on picking up the extended warranty now…

Just for info: I reached out to a guy who literally makes THE videos DIY’ers use to do all maintence. He’s seen many of those cams before. He says he’s seen that before and it’s something not to worry about it. Just monitor as long as there is no depth.

Also learned something … my bike is still under warranty! I was mistaken. I’m going to take it in and they are going to submit a claim. Service guy told me BMW will probably change all cams and lifters.
Fantastic! This is good news. Please do keep us informed. If you can get a pic of the followers, I'd love to see it, even if it shows nothing.

So update:
Spoke with BMW dealer on phone today. They disassembled it and inspected it and saw NOTHING wrong with the the cams. They said there is nothing wrong with the engine. Everything is in spec. My pictures I showed them looked a lot worse than what they observed in person.

Truly do not know if I am being taken for a ride or not on this one. It is worth noting that I reached out to an additional expert tech that is familiar with these bikes and he also states he’s seen that before and he wouldn’t worry about it.

My immediate plan is to purchase the extended warrantee on it.

What do y’all think?

So update:
Spoke with BMW dealer on phone today. They disassembled it and inspected it and saw NOTHING wrong with the the cams. They said there is nothing wrong with the engine. Everything is in spec. My pictures I showed them looked a lot worse than what they observed in person.

Truly do not know if I am being taken for a ride or not on this one. It is worth noting that I reached out to an additional expert tech that is familiar with these bikes and he also states he’s seen that before and he wouldn’t worry about it.

My immediate plan is to purchase the extended warrantee on it.

What do y’all think?
they are wairing for the warranty to run out

Back