Affordable place to move? Young family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Vikas
How about "I don't care about which school I graduate from" point?

Yes, that is a bit puzzling, but maybe the OP can't afford to go to a renowned school?

Bingo. Money is the issue. Getting into the school of my choice is not.

Also since the intentions are to get a masters degree in my field, the place of under grad is not as important.

I was just trying to get some ideas from friendly people

Last edited:
Masters degree in what major ?

Many companies have tuition reimbursement to help their employees. My employer has a $10K limit per year for tuition reimbursement.... $6500 approved by immediate boss, the last $3500 approved by corporate.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Masters degree in what major ?

Many companies have tuition reimbursement to help their employees. My employer has a $10K limit per year for tuition reimbursement.... $6500 approved by immediate boss, the last $3500 approved by corporate.

Undergrad in statistics and grad in epidemiology/ biostats

"Good point, but they could probably find a place 20-30 mins away from the "high economic strata" that's more reasonable."

20-30 minutes away would still be in city. Many people here commute 2 hours plus as they come from bedroom communities that have also experienced high RE prices. The British Columbia decision to enact a 15% tax on foreigners (Chinese) buying real estate there has forced them down into Seattle-Tacoma and Portland. Prices have exploded since last fall.

I like the Utah idea. Very clean with low crime. Ideal for families and in turn a good opportunity for the wife.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

"Good point, but they could probably find a place 20-30 mins away from the "high economic strata" that's more reasonable."

20-30 minutes away would still be in city.

Wouldn't it depend on which city?

I was speaking in general.

As long as you match your income with those costs, anywhere can be affordable.

Don't go to a place just because it has cheap living expenses, it may still be unaffordable if your income drops too low.

more things that point to Iowa...

University of Iowa offers post grad epidemiology
Iowa State University has a great Statistics department
Ames is home to National Animal Disease Center (job op)
Also have Advanced Analytical Inc. right here in Ankeny that specializes in gene research equipment. A friend of mine has her degree in bio-statistics and works there.

plus its not as cold as Minneapolis (which is a short 3 hour drive away)

What kind of work are you presently doing? Could you maybe transfer within the company to an area that has a desirable school?

Lander, Wyoming. Nice town if you don't mind cold winters.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Albany NY, or the Capital Region in general.

Oh lord, stop punishing the guy, he hasn't done anything wrong. Maybe send prisoners there from the overcrowded joints. Don't forget the sky high taxes there.

I thought *most* capital cities tend to have good jobs and low unemployment ?

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Wife and I currently live in Seattle (from California and hate it there...).
We love Seattle but it is just way too expensive here for us to raise a family. We are planning to move away from Seattle to somewhere more affordable to raise our soon to be here baby girl
smile.gif

We are thinking about:
Minnesota (Minneapolis, Duluth areas?)
Maybe somewhere like Idaho or Utah???

We hate the dry California heat and love seasons. It needs to be affordable and have jobs available.
Only drawback about Minnesota is the RUST....I love my cars too much for that!

Ideas please!

Did you ever make a final decision where to move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back