Affordable place to move? Young family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minneapolis is where another couple we are friends with moved to. He got a great job at the Target corp. office. The community is thriving, houses are reasonable and the city was built knowing there is an ish ton of snow and has built bypasses etc.

Quote:
Career wise my wife is a professional Nanny and I am a student studying statistics/bio mathematics. So as long as there is a university within an hour of where we live I am good to go.

Career wise for me, being near any medium to large sized city is good enough for my potential career.

Check out North Carolina, Charlotte & Raleigh. Lots of Universities, and other opportunities. I recommend Raleigh.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Albany NY, or the Capital District in general. No, stop laughing, seriously. We have 4 seasons, the job market here is quite strong, it's a pretty affordable place to live, and you are an easy drive to Montreal, NYC, or Boston, if you are so inclined for a weekend getaway. I love living here. Lots of stuff to do here, if you are the outdoorsy type. Hiking and skiing in the Adirondacks, lots of lakes for fishing or boating, lots of great public schools (especially Ballston Spa, and Shenandehowa), and lots of good colleges for down the road. Lots of street and music festivals during the warmer months too if you are into that sort of thing.

I live 20 min east of Albany. My combined property and school taxes are out of the universe, then high income and sales tax. We are moving when we retire.

The territory within driving distance have beautiful areas to hike or camp. But the taxes are a killer.

Almost all states have sales tax, and the higher income here offsets the property and income tax. I make substantially more than the difference between those things doing the same job here versus Ohio. But I forget the general leanings of this board anyway, as I've never been happier to live in NYS than I have the last few months.

Madison, WI is pretty good, lots of outdoor activities, Midwestern friendliness, lots of bio-tech jobs, great university (I went there), affordable and lots to do.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Albany NY, or the Capital District in general. No, stop laughing, seriously. We have 4 seasons, the job market here is quite strong, it's a pretty affordable place to live, and you are an easy drive to Montreal, NYC, or Boston, if you are so inclined for a weekend getaway. I love living here. Lots of stuff to do here, if you are the outdoorsy type. Hiking and skiing in the Adirondacks, lots of lakes for fishing or boating, lots of great public schools (especially Ballston Spa, and Shenandehowa), and lots of good colleges for down the road. Lots of street and music festivals during the warmer months too if you are into that sort of thing.

I live 20 min east of Albany. My combined property and school taxes are out of the universe, then high income and sales tax. We are moving when we retire.

The territory within driving distance have beautiful areas to hike or camp. But the taxes are a killer.

Almost all states have sales tax, and the higher income here offsets the property and income tax. I make substantially more than the difference between those things doing the same job here versus Ohio. But I forget the general leanings of this board anyway, as I've never been happier to live in NYS than I have the last few months.

I recall NY being pretty humid in summer, and hot, and it could have plenty of snow. And I do recall rust. Dunno about taxes, never had to pay NY taxes.

Is Shenandehowa good? I was glad to leave it, I hated being in a big school.

I'd love to recommend NH as I love small town life, but I can't, it's not cheap, it's kinda isolated and it certainly has problems with rust.

NOT Connecticut.
lol.gif

You could come to Utah and see how you like it. Housing has gotten VERY expensive at least compared to Utah 5 years ago. (still cheaper than CA or Seattle im sure) There are endless jobs but many are not high paying. You do have to put up with a large population of Mormons. Other than that i really like it here.

1k a month rent doesn't go far anymore. Most houses i would consider worth buying are 250-300k with crazy demand for anything at or below 200k.

Utah is a a well managed state and has a very strong economy but wages tend to be lower and housing is not cheap like many places. If you could get some decent employment here i would consider it. Isn't that what moving is really about anyway? Where you can get a nice job?

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
California moved to Colorado and brought their baggage with them, trying to change Co into Ca.

I get so sick of this baloney. I live here and there are more expat Texans here than you can shake a stick at, way more than expat Californians.

Originally Posted By: dareo
You could come to Utah and see how you like it. Housing has gotten VERY expensive at least compared to Utah 5 years ago. (still cheaper than CA or Seattle im sure) There are endless jobs but many are not high paying. You do have to put up with a large population of Mormons. Other than that i really like it here.

1k a month rent doesn't go far anymore. Most houses i would consider worth buying are 250-300k with crazy demand for anything at or below 200k.

Utah is a a well managed state and has a very strong economy but wages tend to be lower and housing is not cheap like many places. If you could get some decent employment here i would consider it. Isn't that what moving is really about anyway? Where you can get a nice job?

It pretty much comes down to your salary/living costs and where you can 'afford' to live.

Nothing worse than someone relocating and they find the job market not as rosey as they were expecting. Then the family is struggling week to week and it becomes a disaster.

$1000 a month won't go far in low cost Florida. You can find long term rentals on AirBNB.

I should clarify about Utah, you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for 1k or less, just not a house or likely even a 3 bed 2 bath. I would consider it a very "safe" economy to live in. You can always get work doing something. It may not pay a lot but you can survive. Those that do make a lot of money have earned seniority, advanced degrees, started the company, ect.

I'm sure there are cheaper places to live that may have more earning potential in a strong economy. Even in the darkest parts of the recession i had TWO jobs paying me money here.

Duluth is nice, getting a little expensive now that they decided to cash in on the tourism money. For a less money you can live just outside of Duluth in Hermantown or Pike Lake areas (most think it's still Duluth, lower taxes and cheaper housing. Rural MN is fairly inexpensive to live, family can get by modestly but comfortable on $50k, housing is fairly affordable and the area is generally safe. Worst area in Duluth is downtown/hillside especially central hillside and west of there, east side and north through Hermantown are great.

Winters can be a bit harsh but you get used to it pretty fast, if either of you are in education or nursing there is a shortage of both teachers and nurses throughout the area so jobs shouldn't be too hard to find. Trades are even shorter on, always looking for qualified labor and many companies will pull strings with the unions to get you in if you have some experience.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Des Moines, IA - check it out. Only drawback is the rust.

I'll agree with this.
Check out this website
https://www.dsmpartnership.com/news-media/rankings

unemployment in Iowa is running around 3.5%, and unemployment in Ames (Home of Iowa State University) is only 1.8% and just 20 minutes north of the Des Moines area. Places are practically giving jobs away around here.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken

Career wise my wife is a professional Nanny and I am a student studying statistics/bio mathematics. So as long as there is a university within an hour of where we live I am good to go.

Don't come to Maine... nobody uses Nannys, few trust those who haven't lived here for generations, and STEM jobs are really hard to land and pay peanuts if they do. Source: Wife is a geologist.

Also the cars rust but you can still get a house for $100k with $2k/ year property taxes.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
I have an acquaintance who lives in (and likes) Cumberland, Maryland and he shared this with me:

http://wtop.com/business-finance/2017/05/cumberland-maryland-2nd-cheapest-housing-market-u-s/

And Cumberland is pretty too. Not so sure how hard it is to get a job there though. And to the people recommending parts of Va not in Northern VA, I agree. I would add they they do onerous annual car inspections and you might still have to pay sales taxes on your car every year (do they still do that?).

why would you not complete your education first and then move wherever your job takes you? or if you are still looking for university, then first get admitted there before thinking about moving. May be I am mistaken but your soon to be born baby girl will remember nothing about the place you are currently living aka there is no emergency for you to move before she is born.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
California moved to Colorado and brought their baggage with them, trying to change Co into Ca.

It's pretty much already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back