Affordable place to move? Young family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dareo
I should clarify about Utah, you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for 1k or less, just not a house or likely even a 3 bed 2 bath. I would consider it a very "safe" economy to live in. You can always get work doing something. It may not pay a lot but you can survive. Those that do make a lot of money have earned seniority, advanced degrees, started the company, ect.

I'm sure there are cheaper places to live that may have more earning potential in a strong economy. Even in the darkest parts of the recession i had TWO jobs paying me money here.

We are deciding between a trip over to Minnesota area or to Utah/Colorado area in mid June.

Anywhere we should think about visiting in Utah? I was thinking Salt lake and Ogden. Then head over to Wyoming and see Laramie and then go to Denver.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
why would you not complete your education first and then move wherever your job takes you? or if you are still looking for university, then first get admitted there before thinking about moving. May be I am mistaken but your soon to be born baby girl will remember nothing about the place you are currently living aka there is no emergency for you to move before she is born.

My education is half completed and just about everything I could take at a Community College is done. We would love to stay here in Seattle but the cost is WAY too high to raise a child and then have me paying Out of State tuition here going to school full time to finish. 1.2k and we are lucky to find a 1 bedroom place is a mediocre area with commute times exceeding an hour. Would have had instate tuition by now but due to a small misunderstanding of their requirements to become instate I have to wait another year and a half...so with the tuition instate here being equal to what a lot of out of state tuition schools in other states charge...we will be moving.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Originally Posted By: dareo
I should clarify about Utah, you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for 1k or less, just not a house or likely even a 3 bed 2 bath. I would consider it a very "safe" economy to live in. You can always get work doing something. It may not pay a lot but you can survive. Those that do make a lot of money have earned seniority, advanced degrees, started the company, ect.

I'm sure there are cheaper places to live that may have more earning potential in a strong economy. Even in the darkest parts of the recession i had TWO jobs paying me money here.

We are deciding between a trip over to Minnesota area or to Utah/Colorado area in mid June.

Anywhere we should think about visiting in Utah? I was thinking Salt lake and Ogden. Then head over to Wyoming and see Laramie and then go to Denver.

You should visit the National Parks while you are here. Arches, Zion, Bryce. Also, a trip to Temple Square (for the historic aspect) is very interesting.

Utah is a great place to live and the economy is incredible. I echo the post above-anybody who wants to work here can get a job. Also, your wife could easily get a job here as a Nanny-due to the families with many children that need looked after.

I would suggest going online and looking at property for sale-to see if that is in your future-no matter where you end up.

If you're looking for affordable, then Austin Tx & surrounding area, is off the list. The powers-&-voters-that-be have created their own affordability CRISIS (to use their word). Politics there is quite liberal as is Seattle, so if you like that, you probably would fit in. However, the heat + humidity is quite oppressive. CenTx only has two seasons: Summer and February. No rust though. About 33" of rain/yr. Traffic is horrible.

DFW or San Antonio may be more 'affordable'.

Maybe the Carolinas. I have family in both states and they like it there and its affordable. Not too cold and little snow during the winters.

Finish school and then look for a job before deciding where to live.

I am finding a place to finish school that is affordable. Living here in Seattle is not anywhere close to affordable. Once I finish school I will have to follow wherever the jobs are, but school wise I am good to go just about anywhere.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
This is a shot in the dark since I don't know what you do for a living. But I am also a Californian who moved out of the state for better opportunity and lower cost of living. My suggestions are as follows:

1) Greenville, South Carolina: Affordable living, low taxes and tons of job growth. Michelin, BMW, John Deere, Samsung and tons of other companies are located there, with more on the way no doubt.

2) Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina: Big city, lots of amenities, lots of opportunity, relatively affordable.

3) Southern Virginia: Namely, Roanoke, Lynchburg and Richmond. These are all great cities with growth, opportunity and low costs of living. Taxes and regulations here in VA tend to be a little high due to the NoVa/Mid Atlantic influence, but it is still affordable. I love it here, that takes a lot from someone who grew up on the Central Coast of California. To put it in perspective, my 2004 Mazda3 cost over $500 a year to register in CA... when I moved here, it was $50.

I'm moving to Greenville, SC June 11th from Chicago. Wonderful area, affordable, and growing.

if you are thinking about Colorado, I'd suggest considering other areas as well as Denver. Denver area is expensive for housing. you might consider Loveland or Ft Collins to the north of Denver or, Colorado Springs or even Pueblo to the south (gets really hot in Pueblo in summer). All of these have universities and community college campuses for you and they are probably large enough for good options for your spouse. Make a list of the communities you are considering and plug them in at:

http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/

You can get a side-by-side comparison on a variety factors.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe the Carolinas. I have family in both states and they like it there and its affordable. Not too cold and little snow during the winters.

Finish school and then look for a job before deciding where to live.

Good advise!

Frankly, I'd focus first on where I want to go to school - at the same time as when I thought about where I wanted to be.

Duluth is nice - if the schools there have what you want. Tons of options in the Twin Cities, but at your listed rent/mortgage you will be in for a reasonably tough time finding decent housing. Lots of options if you want a house over 400k, if under, the market is moving very fast. Yes, we have all four seasons, relatively high taxes, but generally have a more stable and thriving economy than many parts of the Country (the Twin Cities anyways). Rust stinks, but it is the reality. If its important, don't move here.

The usual line from recruiters is that Minnesota is one of the hardest places to recruit people to - yet it is also one of the hardest ones to recruit people away from. People think we live in igloos all year... Reality is you adjust, and learn to enjoy every season - even stupid cold. My favorite is getting ice cream on the coldest nights of the year
smile.gif

If into the outdoors, etc... Colorado can be nice, but the cost of living and housing in particular has risen greatly. I went to school in Fort Collins, and would move back, but last we looked, housing was an issue with pricing being much higher than where we currently live. It is also feeling much more crowded than what I remember...

Best of luck in your decision.

I am sorry but I am just not getting it. You are asserting that you could graduate from any school and it won't make a difference. Are you really saying that?
Quote:
I am finding a place to finish school that is affordable. Living here in Seattle is not anywhere close to affordable. Once I finish school I will have to follow wherever the jobs are, but school wise I am good to go just about anywhere.

I am not sure if you are telling the whole story because if your family's is being supported on professional nanny's salary who soon will NOT be able to do that job due to arrival of your little girl and you are a student who apparently believes that name of the school on your degree makes no difference to your future prospects ...

It is not adding up. If I come across as nosy, you are the one who has put your cards on table here. Pardon me if I find something not quite right with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Come to Texas! Most everyone else is...lot's of jobs, no rust, affordable living.

LOL yeah that used to be the case, but now that everyone is moving here, not so much. The price of homes and property taxes are out of control.

Last edited:
I know you said no rust, but a couple of midwest towns:

also will wife be a Nanny FOREVER?

-Indianapolis
-Chicago
-Madison, WI

I've based this on education opportunities....

I am not sure if you are telling the whole story because if your family's is being supported on professional nanny's salary who soon will NOT be able to do that job due to arrival of your little girl

I would imagine a few months after birth, she might be able to babysit another kid while babysitting her own. Not sure how realistic that is though.

Depending on how much money she can make professionally babysitting, she could also put her own kid in daycare while babysitting other people's kids.

The point was unless a family is financially independent, place to move is first determined by the ability to make a living in the new place. If you do not have a trust fund, you first have to find a job and then move there and not the other way around.

Second point which has been made by others is that the demand for professional nanny services exists in very high economic strata. To be able to live in a place where those services are needed implies it will NOT be cheap.

The point was unless a family is financially independent, place to move is first determined by the ability to make a living in the new place. If you do not have a trust fund, you first have to find a job and then move there and not the other way around.

I generally agree, but it depends on the job. If the job in question here is her job (because OP is still in school), then most people would want the nanny to start tomorrow and not a month later when she finally moves from Seattle. For those kinds of jobs, you have to move first.

Quote:
Second point which has been made by others is that the demand for professional nanny services exists in very high economic strata. To be able to live in a place where those services are needed implies it will NOT be cheap.

Good point, but they could probably find a place 20-30 mins away from the "high economic strata" that's more reasonable.

How about "I don't care about which school I graduate from" point?

Yes, that is a bit puzzling, but maybe the OP can't afford to go to a renowned school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back