Advics - made in China?

Received my front and rear pads today for the 2000 Camry. To my surprise, the rear brake set is Made in China while the fronts are Made in Japan. Was hoping that they would both be COO Japan lol. Also, the fronts don’t say “Advics” on the pads or have the wrapping like the rears do..

Gave RA another chance and got these from the Carson, CA. location unscathed.

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

IMG_6116.jpeg

IMG_6117.jpeg

IMG_6118.jpeg

Last edited:
I would assume the factory in China is operated by Advics so they should fine. The Brembo pads I bought for a Mercedes also said made in China and looked to be well made. At least it's not a ball joint or starter with moving parts.

Powerstop z23-1184 pads I'm running was also made in china, I really like these pads over the former factory OE ones. Much better stopping distance & better initial bite, I'm also running a pair of z23 drilled and slotted rotors that was installed as an upgrade kit as I got them from RockAuto deal.

The Advics pads should do fine, everything these days seems to be sourced all over the place, as long as quality control and assurance is there.

I would assume the factory in China is operated by Advics so they should fine. The Brembo pads I bought for a Mercedes also said made in China and looked to be well made. At least it's not a ball joint or starter with moving parts.
Yea when I went back and looked at RA’s site, these front pads look like the ones that come in the Beck Arnley box that’s pictured on their site. The one I ordered had a light colored backing plate in the picture which is not what I received. Wonder if it’s just an updated version of it

Powerstop z23-1184 pads I'm running was also made in china, I really like these pads over the former factory OE ones. Much better stopping distance & better initial bite, I'm also running a pair of z23 drilled and slotted rotors that was installed as an upgrade kit as I got them from RockAuto deal.

The Advics pads should do fine, everything these days seems to be sourced all over the place, as long as quality control and assurance is there.
Those were the pads I was considering as well but ended up with the Advics since a lot of people over at TN forums said that it fit and performed like the OEM Toyota pads. I agree with you about the sourcing comment.. Nowadays you never know what you’ll get made from where!

Welcome to global manufacturing. China is all around you. US junk is littering China too. Weird, I know.
Exactly this.

I can buy two equivalent parts from Rockauto, many times they come with a different COO. Same has happened at Autozone and local chains. Nothing surprises me anymore, nor should it anyone else. With very few exceptions, all the brands we knew and trusted are made where they can maximize profit and maintain an acceptable level of quality. Globalization combined with capitalism 101. That's why brand names / marketing sticks around, because it works!

Exactly this.

I can buy two equivalent parts from Rockauto, many times they come with a different COO. Same has happened at Autozone and local chains. Nothing surprises me anymore, nor should it anyone else. With very few exceptions, all the brands we knew and trusted are made where they can maximize profit and maintain an acceptable level of quality. Globalization combined with capitalism 101. That's why brand names / marketing sticks around, because it works!
Sad times we live in but an inescapable matrix we are stuck in

Meh, I would run them no issues. I guess one of the downsides or RA is you can never be 100% sure what you are going to get

I would assume the factory in China is operated by Advics so they should fine.
The factory is operated by a Chinese company producing parts to XXX company's specs. That's basically all it is. That same factory probably produces brake pads for a half dozen (+) companies due to economies of scale. Make it how they want it, slap a label on, then companies that have brand recognition apply a huge markup.
Sad times we live in but an inescapable matrix we are stuck in
Couldn't agree more.

The factory is operated by a Chinese company producing parts to XXX company's specs. That's basically all it is. That same factory probably produces brake pads for a half dozen (+) companies due to economies of scale. Make it how they want it, slap a label on, then companies that have brand recognition apply a huge markup.

Couldn't agree more.
why wouldn’t Advics operate said factory?

Advics are available for the front over at RA but not the rear.. Any other rec’s besides OEM Toyota for the rears?
I generally have not had issue with the inexpensive (R-line) Raybestos rotors or the Bosch QuietCast rotors.

Again, profits. Why would they want their own factory with all the overhead and headaches when they could outsource? It's all smoke and mirrors; find an Advics factory in China and I'll change my mind.
There were more facilities listed on their website, but these had manufacturing of brake parts in the description.

View attachment 212372
IMG_2846.jpeg

IMG_2847.jpeg

IMG_2848.jpeg

Last edited:
Back