AdvanceAutoParts Battery Warranty Free 3yr Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hootbro I think what you've stated makes the most sense. If one has a bad go bad at say 2 yrs and 10 months then if your original warrantied battery is truly bad then you would only get 2 more months of a warranty to equal the original 3 yr warranty. I highly doubt you get another "free" 3 yr warranty tacked on to the replacement battery.

That has been standard practice with few exceptions across most battery makes. One is not buying a perpetual battery replacement at initial purchase if one can get their battery to fail at or near the end of the warranty period. Any replacement is just for the remainder of that first purchase warranty period.

Many, many years ago, like in the 1970's or maybe even early 1980's, Sears Diehard offered a lifetime battery replacement warranty that was tied to a specific vehicle and original owner. Change vehicles or vehicle changes ownership, the warranty was void. Eventually there was a few old timers that had kept their vehicles like 20+ years and multiple replacements later, Sears evoked a loophole clause and after one last replacement, refunded original purchase price and got out of honoring future replacements.

My mustangs eats batteries every couple of years, I went to AAP after exactly one year after purchase with a receipt with a dead battery that I couldn't even jump start ... the guy at the counter sold me a battery charger and told me to charge for 24 hours which I did. The next day I put it back in the car and nothing, went to AAP and said .. listen either the charger you sold me is trash or the battery is toast, he says alright I will exchange it this time but you need to either drive the car daily or keep on the charger when you let it sit.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
My mustangs eats batteries every couple of years, I went to AAP after exactly one year after purchase with a receipt with a dead battery that I couldn't even jump start ... the guy at the counter sold me a battery charger and told me to charge for 24 hours which I did. The next day I put it back in the car and nothing, went to AAP and said .. listen either the charger you sold me is trash or the battery is toast, he says alright I will exchange it this time but you need to either drive the car daily or keep on the charger when you let it sit.

I would have told the Advance Auto guy where to stick it. He was way out of line and letting him run the situation of selling you a charger and not accepting it until after you charged it at home is way beyond the norms getting a battery warranty exchanged.

How long did the car sit for?? In what kind of temps?? Lead acid batteries do not do well just sitting and sitting and sitting. They do self discharge rather quickly if not being actively charged.
I do agree with hootbro that the guy at AAP was a fool. That Champion should have taken the battery himself and charged it there at the store. And not had you buy a charger.

I drove the car about once a week for 10 mins ( still do ). Ive always replaced the batteries every 2-3 years even when I used to drive it daily. I figured there may be an electrical problem but didn't care to have looked at because I figured what the heck ... may cost me more than just replace the battery. car is parked outside but we have trees so it doesn't get directly baked by the Sun, haven't had problems with batteries with any other cars ive owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back