Adding More Protein to Diet Ideas

A lot of that powdered protein and bars and drinks contain maltodexrin which is TERRIBLE for the human body.

Buy a freezer

Get organic beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish

Plants are really really good for you but they lack protein for one thing - sure you can combine different plants and come closer to the correct amino acids but it’s never right. Then you have to reach for supplements and those certainly aren’t right.

It is always best to eat Wholesome food cooked correctly.

EDIT: I don't hate on eating vegan, in fact I think it's great 1-2-3 times a week. Especially for seniors when the old pipes maybe don't run as well as they used to. I will never say you could live on meat alone, or really anything alone, although there are some sources that say if you eat the right meats and organ meats you could live OK on that. Point is simple, we are omnivores. Any diet that you can't live on it alone is by definition not a complete diet. Just google "nutrients lacking in vegan diets" and you will wake up to that fact.

Simple: Just add a couple ounces of clean meat to lunch and or dinner, piece of cake.

There is a reason some seniors are not getting enough protein. Meet the food pyramid or whatever flavor they are calling it now

Last edited:
No the nutritional numbers I careless what they claim to use.
It's on the website. It could be worse and more clean than I expected to see but still plenty of calories and you can count on 10% of Fat and 10% of saturated fat. Since I am on a strict adherence to eliminate as much fat as possible it wouldnt work for me.
And, yogurt Oikos Triple Zero delivers significant more protein vitamin D and calcium with zero fat and a boat load less sodium, carbs and calories than a snack bar. For sure there is worse though and surprised this is as good as it is, not that I would eat it.
Here is the snack bar.
Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.14.25 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.15.17 PM.jpg

Here is Oikos Triple Zero below;
Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.25.50 PM.jpg

It's on the website. It could be worse and more clean than I expected to see but still plenty of calories and you can count on 10% of Fat and 10% of saturated fat. Since I am on a strict adherence to eliminate as much fat as possible it wouldnt work for me.
And, yogurt Oikos Triple Zero delivers significant more protein vitamin D and calcium with zero fat and a boat load less sodium, carbs and calories than a snack bar. For sure there is worse though and surprised this is as good as it is, not that I would eat it.
Here is the snack bar.
View attachment 205030View attachment 205031

Here is Oikos Triple Zero below;
View attachment 205032
More sugar than protein good grief
23g of carbs you got to be kidding me
In the trash with that

My >1mg RDA of nonsense

Protein intake should be adequate based on your gender, age, physical training, and goals. Insufficient protein intake is not great but too much is first of all a waste of money because your muscles can only utilize so much protein. Second, excess protein is metabolically not ideal because protein contains nitrogen which must be processed by the body into urea which then must be excreted as urine. While not a problem in healthy people, those with compromised kidney function and those with kidney disease need to limit their protein intake because proteins are very hard on the kidneys and may further reduce kidney function. And if you can't excrete metabolic waste products sufficiently you either need dialysis or at least one new kidney. And good luck with all that.

Most people I know eat too much protein, and I include myself because I am an avid meat eater. For an average person who doesn't spend 4 hours in the gym every day 1 gram of protein/ each kilo of lean body mass is sufficient.

When determining protein requirement it is best to use lean body mass rather than weight. Most online calculators use body weight. If you know your weight and body fat percentage you can calculate your lean body mass.

A note on protein shakes and supplements and such. Unless you are a top athlete it is unlikely that you can benefit from re and post-workout protein supplementation. There is no metabolic window for protein on any given day. I prefer food over powder. If you are trying to lose weight it's probably better to eat a satisfying piece of palatable meat than guzzling down a mug of protein shake that's gone in a few seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion, I am actually trying to gain some weight 5-10 lbs would be nice.

Last night, I managed to fit on my military pants that where issue to me on 86: just turn 60 years old few months.

Plant based protein is where it's at. I'd say stay away from dairy based whey and such, but I'm anti-dairy except for the local ice cream place lol. The Vega brand is pretty good and sweetened with Stevia, and I mix it with vanilla oat milk. Not too shabby.
Same, including ice cream. Need grab rails on the toilet and a trash can if I eat that stuff as it's coming out of both ends.

I been giving it some thought about adding more protein to my diet as I get older.

The 3 most common choices are the protein bars, shakes and the powders.

Do you take any form of protein and can you share the product line.
Dr Ben Bikman has said animal protein is far superior to plant protein in every way. You need the protein and related amino acids. Animal based protein has the protein and the needed amino acids.

I would avoid the cheap soy proteins and go for whey protein if you don't want to eat meat or poultry or fish.

Dr Ben Bikman has said animal protein is far superior to plant protein in every way. You need the protein and related amino acids. Animal based protein has the protein and the needed amino acids.

I would avoid the cheap soy proteins and go for whey protein if you don't want to eat meat or poultry or fish.

There are a few Protein quality measurements PDCAAS and DIAAS which is an interesting read. Also know that nutrition labels do not account for bio-availability.

For example,

4tbsp of Peanut Butter (a good amount) and two slices of Bread is 20g of Protein, seem good right?

Using the PDCAAS Method, only 52% of Peanut Butter and 42% of the Wheat (bread) protein content meets amino acid requirements and digestibility.

That brings the "effective" Protein down to 12.3 grams.

https://userpage.myfooddata.com/ (Click on Tools uptop)

This site is a great to see Amino Acid profiles of foods

Back