Adding More Protein to Diet Ideas

I been giving it some thought about adding more protein to my diet as I get older.

The 3 most common choices are the protein bars, shakes and the powders.

Do you take any form of protein and can you share the product line.

Eat more chicken! I have 18 and 16 year old athletic sons who watch their diet no matter how much I tell them enjoy some junk here and there at your age. Changes when you get older. Easy way to get a ton of protien per serving is a chili with ground chicken, chipotle peppers, 2 cans of beans (we use red kidney or black bean) with 2 cans of diced tomatoes. That meal has a lot of protein! Watch out for many of the protien bars. I like MetRex bars but I use them for hikes and mountain biking to get calories for exertion and the 30grams of protien. Even quality bars have far too much sugar IMO.

I'm not a plant based guy, beef, pork, chicken is for me! At 51 and retired I find the time to hit the gym even harder than a decade ago. I found a company called Huel. I like their protien drinks. Caramel Coffee, vanilla, chocolate is a ok and mixes well with just water. Two scoops is 40grams protien and 400calories. Lots of vitamins and minerals in there as well.

There are other companies like Huel so search em and try them out.

I switched to yoghurt drinks when I don't want water or coffee. 4 grams of protein for 200ml and costs peanuts. Basically fermented skimmed milk with added fruit juice (usually strawberry). Keeps for months before opening

I been giving it some thought about adding more protein to my diet as I get older.

The 3 most common choices are the protein bars, shakes and the powders.

Do you take any form of protein and can you share the product line.

1-scoop is around 25g/protein. Current brand is 100% whey Isopure Zero Carb Chocolate but I'm getting ready to try something else.

Mix with 10 oz water in my coffee cup and down it like a shot. I'm all about the delivery, and less about the taste.

Last edited:
I use a full scoop of GNC whey protein isolate with my morning raisin bran, skim milk, and banana. It's about a buck a scoop but it's the only powder I've found that has no added flavors and other crap.

I also try to eat high protein items throughout the day.

+1 on the chicken and whey protein is a great way to incorporate more into your diet. There are several recipes online where you can make smoothies in the morning using whey protein and yogurt, fruit, etc as a breakfast. I drink whey protein shakes as a post workout snack daily.

Plant based protein is where it's at. I'd say stay away from dairy based whey and such, but I'm anti-dairy except for the local ice cream place lol. The Vega brand is pretty good and sweetened with Stevia, and I mix it with vanilla oat milk. Not too shabby.

I am not a huge fan of protein shakes and bars. I haven't looked in a long time - but a lot of them used to be Soy. Soy has some implications for other issues - like thyroid problems - so do your own research.

I agree - chicken, egg whites, fish. If you want plant based - Peanut butter, lentils, chickpeas ( falafel is tasty when made fresh).

I do have some bars that are made mostly of nuts, dates and peanut butter.

I wasn't talking salami or bologna. Turkey and ham are low fat high protein and convenient to eat by the slice.
Any processed deli meat, even turkey, is considered to be carcinogenic, a lot of it due to nitrites and nitrates. It doesn't really have anything to do with the meat itself. Go roast a chicken or turkey and get it that way, not from the deli.

Just about anything you eat has carcinogenic compounds, not just deli meat. And they never seem to mention the ridiculous amounts they feed to lab rats to develop cancer. You would have to eat something like 10 pounds of deli ham a day for two years to consume the equivalent of what the rats are fed. And there are nitrate-free options.

Protein bars, etc are not "good" proteins. Most are prepackaged junk and come loaded with salt, sugar and carbs which are not high-density. You want food sources that feed your body without spiking your insulin. Also, stay away from processed foods (especially meats) because of excess sugars, salt, nitrites/nitrates, etc.

Here are natural high protein sources which will satiate you and help build/retain muscle:
- greek yogurt (non-sweetened, or lightly done with Stevia if you "must" have)
- hard cheeses (cheddars, swiss, parmesan, etc)
- cottage cheese
- nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios (also have the "good" monounsaturated fats)
- chickpeas (hummus for snack dip)
- beans (red, navy, kidney, etc ...)
- chicken
- eggs
- beef
- port
- fish

If you're sensitive to kidney stone issues, you'll want to stay away from those sources which have high oxalates; somewhat narrows the list above.

You gotta like them to begin with, which not everyone does, but I am trying to switch from potato chips to pork rinds as a snack to cut down carbs a bit. Chips are one of my favorite things to eat, so the change makes a difference for me diet-wise. I was surprised to find out how minimally processed pork rinds are. Unless you get flavored ones, they are generally just two ingredients: pork skin and salt.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I like it and I think it'll do me some good.

As soon as possible after working out. You could also do protein before going to sleep. I do notice a difference in workout recovery if I do use protein powder vs do not.

I primarily do powder with water but some some folks mix it with milk or as a smoothie. That's your preference.

My favorite is Vitamin Shoppe's house brand, Bodytech Hexatin-SR chocolate. It's just a blend of whey, casein, and soy protein with an overly fancy sounding name. Tastes the best and can usually be found as a BOGO 1/2 off.

Currently using a Dymatize ISO100 in chocolate flavor just to see how I'd like it. Not bad but doesn't taste as good as the above.

I've also tried GNC amp whey, ON gold standard, and another one from GNC that I forgot it's name but they didn't taste as good. I haven't tried the ON gold standard in a decade though so maybe they've improved.

No protein bars that had what I would consider a noticable amount of protein ever tasted good. They'd always only have like 7g of protein and loaded with garbage.

Also to add, Walmart has some decent brands in smaller serving containers so you don't have to go to a supplement store that usually only stocks the big expensive containers. Expect the containers to be like potato chip bags - majority air.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great ideas, just to add something. My walking friend recommended RxBar Protein Bars, the have very simple ingredients.

Reactions: Pew
Back