Adding More Protein to Diet Ideas

My daughter switched to what is basically a carnivore diet a year ago. She was Vegan, switched to Keto. She was always tired and didn't look quite right. After going carnivore she is a picture of radiant health. Lots of energy and positive everything. Tons of protein there. Not saying this is for everyone but it works great for her.

I been giving it some thought about adding more protein to my diet as I get older.

The 3 most common choices are the protein bars, shakes and the powders.

Do you take any form of protein and can you share the product line.
Smart move, I do the same but those items you mention are mostly junk. Not all but I would carefully look at the ingredients to make sure you are not ingesting a lot of sugar which is inflammatory and bad for your veins and arteries. I guess you noted seniors do not get enough protein.

Best source for a quick snack, healthy as heck to, no sugar added, low to no fat (and if can be avoided no artificial sweetener) = Yogurt. A powerhouse of protein and very good for the gut (which the gut is really being studied in this way, possibly the most improvement that can be made)

Also to my surprise yogurt drinks. I get a publication called Environmental Nutrition and they just did a whole write up on yogurt.
I personally like Dannon Activia low/no fat, NO sugar added and most times hard to find.
But I have been eating Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt, My favorite flavor in any yogurt is vanilla. It has 15 Grams of protein. Zero fat, 90 calories, 7g of carbs.

Anyway, the publication just listed a whole bunch of yogurts and yogurt drinks and the Oikos Triple Zero got a green check mark.
Also a number of Chobani zero sugar yogurts. got a green mark.
Two Chobani drinks got green marks.

AS far as other stuff, fish is big on protein and good for you, even a tuna sandwich on whole wheat, toasted, yum. I had a homemade 96% ground beef hamburger last night, only burger I will ever eat. Even had the American Heart Association sticker on it.
I got so used to getting rid of a lot of fat in my diet (and sugar) that I cant tolerate it in the sense and to the agree when my wife and I went out to dinner on Valentines Day, The meal was over $100, we both had prime rib which my wife loves but I never eat that stuff anymore, yet remember I used to like it. Wow, what a waste of a dinner, She loved it and I felt like I put chapstick on my lips when I was done from the fat in the meat. *LOL*

For the yogurt, I needed to be determined years back. I never liked yogurt but forced myself knowing it was good for me. I can say now, years later I am getting used to it *LOL* and feel good about eating it. Im not a nutrition expert, just what I believe to be true. I cant see how you can do any better.

I dont drink yogurt drinks but since reading the publication I get I am thinking about this "green check marked one" not as much protein but still 10g.

PS Dont rule out a cup of Organic Skim Milk with or without a shredded wheat added to it. Adds to your protein intake and greatly adds to your calcium intake. Between the above I would say you would be increasing both by light years instead of junk snacks.

Last edited:
Rather than buying slices of anything save a bundle and make it yourself.

Bake a chicken, a turkey and a ham. Dice and Slice them up and put X in the fridge and Y in the Freezer.

Use as garnish vs a staple.

When you have the meat around ready to go, its a breeze to dump it into salads, make a sandwich, omelette, chili, soup, even a couple of cubes make a diff..dont need a lot.

Old School sure, affordable and good though.

I am on the carnivore diet for autoimmune issues and modest weight loss. I grill up burgers, steak and chicken or pork on the charcoal Weber. Vacuum pack it, then freeze. Makes for some great and easy meals. Can grab a bag with my protein of choice, an ice pack and lunch cooler for travel. Since it's already frozen, it remains ice cold all day.

Two of my go to snacks for Protein the Tuna number wise cannot be beat
Screenshot_20240223_114622_Gallery.jpg

High quality sardines are pretty awesome.

I can go half a day on one tin. Great road trip or lunch food, no refrigeration needed, keeps and stores well, I use disposable chopsticks when on the road.

Plant based protein is where it's at. I'd say stay away from dairy based whey and such, but I'm anti-dairy except for the local ice cream place lol. The Vega brand is pretty good and sweetened with Stevia, and I mix it with vanilla oat milk. Not too shabby.
I use organic plant protein from Garden of Life. More expensive than many other brands per serving but it's the only one that is flavoring free, which is what I prefer. Mostly pea protein and proteins from various other plans, it pretty much tastes like clay but its tolerable.

I add pure protein (no flavors or fake sugar) to Greek yogurt, eggs and shakes.

I was pretty bad at following a healthy diet and was not seeing good gains at the gym. I dumped some garbage out and added more protein into things and began seeing postive gains in no time.

I add pure protein (no flavors or fake sugar) to Greek yogurt, eggs and shakes.

I was pretty bad at following a healthy diet and was not seeing good gains at the gym. I dumped some garbage out and added more protein into things and began seeing postive gains in no time.
Just watch how much you're getting at one time. The body can only handle about 20g protein at a serving and will probably just purge the rest, so it might be better do the pure protein 2-3hrs later as opposed to adding it to an already high-protein food.

Last edited:
Just watch how much you're getting at one time. The body can only handle about 20g protein at a serving and will probably just purge the rest, so it might be better do the pure protein 2-3hrs later as opposed to adding it to an already high-protein food.

See 3:00

Tldr: it depends but a study that's around that your talking about is specifically with a powdered whey fast absorbing protein with a lot of caveats.

It's best to spread your protein intake into 4-5 "doses" so 3 meals and 2 protein snacks for example.

So if you go with the 1g per lb of body weight. If you weigh 180lbs that's 45-36g of protein per meal. What ever your body doesn't use goes to energy. Also generally by targeting 1g/lb you really knock out a lot of "useless foods" entering your diet.

Last edited:
Back