Adding a gas level gauge

So scrapped my pre wiring and just started wiring in place. Got it all working, syphoned the gas out by using the hose going to the fuel filter but I want to run it empty and them measure the on/off volume as I'm constrained at where it can be mounted. Probably around 1/2 gallon.

Light is on the right hand control lever, sensor will be mounted with double stick tape in the front center lowest I can get it on the tank. I ended up using those small stereo wiring connecters. They work great for sub 20 ga wire. Shoved some 1/4" 14ga male crimp connectors, that I gave a slight twist to the blade, into the back of the starter/power switch connector. It worked great as a tight fit and nearly flush. Got a ground and switched power from that.

Fuel level sensor light on.jpg

liquid level sensor and connections.jpg

All this work instead of carrying a one gallon gas can. We can complicate the heck out of anything I guess.
It's a 2 acer yard and the gas cans are 2,5 gal and then you out there with a empty gas can spilling gas on the grass.....

LOL I'm spoiled by my John Deere with the cheap fuel level light for the last 23 years. I can probably jury rig the fuel tank and gauge set up from the F510 into the new mower. Already improved the seating substantially.

I guess I could be like NASCAR and come in for a sip every round.......
Thinking about a little reserve tank too maybe a quart.

John Deere got cheap.
yea, it musta been such a good idea they stopped doing it... I have a husqvarna lawn tractor and the sucker actually has a "reserve" function on the fuel tank... first mower I ever had with that , and its actually a pretty good idea.

looking for a link for the float-gas cap style, i can see into my CC30H tank but hard to tell where its at!!

It works like a charm. Fell off once due to the Alien tape not being up to the task. Some regular double stick works better. Got it so there's at least 15 minutes of mow left before running out. The light does a self test too when you cycle the key. Kind of hard to see in the bright sunlight though.

Back