Adding a gas level gauge

Anyone done this? I pine for my old JD F510 low fuel level light. Hate running out of gas a quarter mile away.

So they make universal sender units with gauges. Look pretty simple to install and under $40US.

Here's an example.

61n9o0zsQUL._AC_SY355_.jpg
61utB7RMIhL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I have not as my zero turn has quite the tank and can mow for about 3 hours straight. Why not just refill mid way through as a gauge won't solve the issue. You already have the approximate distance you'll likely run out on.

After looking up your mower you very easily could add a small box for at least a 1 gal can at the rear. Could make a little wood box and drill holes to bolt it down with.

Easily doable, but I would research the brand and part quality. Stewart Warner and others make universal senders and gauges and are (or at least were) of known good quality and maybe for not much more money. I may sound a bit jaded on the overall quality of the aftermarket, but I have reasons and the time and effort to redo a project bothers me more than the $ outlay.

I like to run the tanks near empty every time. I never have the E10 water, gummed up carb situation that way. Still breaking in so no firm handle on the gas per mow yet.

My old mower was a 2.5 gallon tank, my gas cans are 2.5 gallons and it took two mows to 2.5 gallons. The light flashed, came on steady, started to flash again and when it went out you better be near the barn. It was convenient.

I have never done this but I think it's cool. How does it calibrate though ?
It looks like they are sized for the depth of the tank. They come in different lengths with a inch of clearance needed on the bottom of the tank. So I would have to cut the hole for the mount and then measure, or guess.

Poly tank so mounting would be sheet metal screws, gasket and some black engine sealant.

So I've ran out of gas three times now. Last one on purpose so I can tell where 2.5 gallons is, the size of my gas cans. Next one will fill to the brim being measured,. It says 3 gallons but I suspect a quart or more of expansion space. Three marks on the tank, the 2.5 gal is half way between 2 and 3.

Looks to be easy to remove the tank with only some screws holding the plastic trim fender on then a couple nuts holding a cross bar that pushes down on the tank.

I wonder if some sort of proximity, ultrasonic or photocell would work? The gas is barely visible though the tank being a clear amber. Really only need something that comes on near empty.

Forty dollars can buy a lot of gas. I would try to find a more economic way of determining your gas level.

That the company offers the array of sizes speaks well.
If it's worth the time + effort (money is no object for BITOGers)....and it sounds like you want to do it.....then go for it.

Consider the obligatory "brittle plastic" fear mongering and sage old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" advice issued.
Post back for complimentary, "Good job" praise or "We told you so" scolding.

Seriously, I do believe the 3 big, real farm tractors (and the Cub Cadet) my pal has all have no fuel gauge.
The tractors are old.

LOL I'm spoiled by my John Deere with the cheap fuel level light for the last 23 years. I can probably jury rig the fuel tank and gauge set up from the F510 into the new mower. Already improved the seating substantially.

I guess I could be like NASCAR and come in for a sip every round.......
Thinking about a little reserve tank too maybe a quart.

John Deere got cheap.

LOL I'm spoiled by my John Deere with the cheap fuel level light for the last 23 years. I can probably jury rig the fuel tank and gauge set up from the F510 into the new mower. Already improved the seating substantially.

I guess I could be like NASCAR and come in for a sip every round.......
Thinking about a little reserve tank too maybe a quart.

John Deere got cheap.
Instead of having a gauge or a light they just made the tank see-through.

Instead of having a gauge or a light they just made the tank see-through.
Then buried it so you can't see anything.

I see the gauge on the F510 is a simple float on/off with nothing more than a hole and bushing to install. Going to take the old one out today and see if it is that simple.

So I played with that sensor a bit today in the house. I have an adjustable 12vdc power supply. Got it all jury rigged up and it works like a charm on a PE vinegar bottle. Next I found a switch power tap off the ignition switch without tapping. Have to run it near empty to see where to mount it without any interference. I see the gas tank has somewhat of a sump.

The LED I'm using was for 24v but ran too hot on my thermostat 24vac power. Runs nice and cool on the 12v. The perfect place to mount it is in the end of the left hand control handle. It has a 3/4" plastic plug I drilled out and screwed the LED in.

Need to run some wire next. The tank holds 3.5 gal max, 3 nominally. My gas cans are 2,5 gal. I'm still not sure how much I use per mow as I'm still learning a zero turn. Last mow was about a gallon used. I want the light to come on when there is about a 1-2 quarts left.

Biggest hassle is dealing with 26 ga wire. I'm going to solder some 20 ga to it.

I use that.
That won't work. See pic in post #8. The fill opening is at about a 60 degree angle. I found 1" sch 40 PVC fits the opening perfectly. About 6" of it bent it 30 degrees and a female threaded adapter made the funnel fit tight and square.

Back