ACDelco PF64 - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Since the NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix, I just checked the NAPA filter lookup and they have versions of this filter too! The NAPA Gold part number is 100290, NAPA Platinum is 4100290, NAPA Silver is 3100290 and Proselect is 2100290.

Right on! All you need to do is put a call into your local Napa location and have them order the new Napa Gold. Are you sure it's 100290 and not 10290?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Why would the XP have poor efficiency when the regular one is good? Isn't the XP supposed to be their better filter?

"Better" must mean something different to WIX. Look up thier Tech Support contact info on their website and give them a shout for some tech info. Be prepared for tight lips.

ZeeO … last time we did some digging on the XP … think we settled on 99/30 and 50/20 right?
So it’s taking out a substantial portion of 30/20 um material …
Probably no worse than a few OEM’s ... just not what the FU can do …
So is the perfect high PSI BPV filter a synthetic over wire mesh … (what’s it called?)

Just called Benson Autoparts. They were aware of the new filter today (how quickly things change) but they would need to order it directly from Wix with a freight charge attached. If I wait another month or so their supplier will have it and it can be ordered without freight.

There would have to be something special about the WL10290, other than bypass spec, to sway me from the 57502 though
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
Since the NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix, I just checked the NAPA filter lookup and they have versions of this filter too! The NAPA Gold part number is 100290, NAPA Platinum is 4100290, NAPA Silver is 3100290 and Proselect is 2100290.

Right on! All you need to do is put a call into your local Napa location and have them order the new Napa Gold. Are you sure it's 100290 and not 10290?

The NAPA filter lookup website shows it as 100290

http://www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/QuickSearch?q=pf64

Originally Posted By: 4WD
ZeeO … last time we did some digging on the XP … think we settled on 99/30 and 50/20 right?
So it’s taking out a substantial portion of 30/20 um material …
Probably no worse than a few OEM’s ... just not what the FU can do …
So is the perfect high PSI BPV filter a synthetic over wire mesh … (what’s it called?)

50% @ 20u isn't substantial enough filtration for me at least when there are other choices that have better performance numbers.

So GM comes up with a 22 PSI bypass valve on their AC Delco filter and a TSB, but many aftermarket filters don't specify a filter with a higher bypass valve setting for the same GM vehicles.

So do the aftermarket companies not know it's actually required for their filter, or have they analyzed it and found their bypass settings are still fine for those GM applications?

If it was me, I'd call your favorite filter maker and ask them why they specify a filter with a lower bypass setting than the recommended 22 PSI by GM.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If it was me, I'd call your favorite filter maker and ask them why they specify a filter with a lower bypass setting than the recommended 22 PSI by GM.
Wix's sudden creation of the WL10290 oil filter means they are finally getting a same-length equivalent of the PF64. Use of the Wix 57502 is fine as long as your engine can fit the 0.6" extra length, an oversize choice.

Maybe MotorKing can respond for what Fram is thinking. I guess they could simply disagree with GM's memo saying you gotta have 22 psi....

I found another PF64 alternative with the proper bypass pressure. Someone from the Corvetteforum emailed Amsoil and got the following response:

"The Ea15K50, and all of our other filters, are made to meet manufacturer requirements for any given vehicle. We checked with our filter manufacturer about this issue when the bulletin came out and they assured us that the Ea15K50 is safe to use in these GM vehicles as the bypass is set 18-24psi."

I found another PF64 alternative with the proper bypass pressure. Someone from the Corvetteforum emailed Amsoil and got the following response:

"The Ea15K50, and all of our other filters, are made to meet manufacturer requirements for any given vehicle. We checked with our filter manufacturer about this issue when the bulletin came out and they assured us that the Ea15K50 is safe to use in these GM vehicles as the bypass is set 18-24psi."

I am wondering if the Amsoil EAO17 has the same bypass pressure specs as the EA15K50. I have a few of the EAO17 filters (PF63 equivalent), but am currently running the AC Delco PF64 filters on my LT4 engine because of the GM TSB outlining the 22 psi requirement. I don't want any issues and have to fight GM on any engine related warranty claims.

Who's the manufacturer?

I am skeptical since Amsoil lists the Wix 57060 as the Wix recommended filter for my application.

The GM 4-cylinders may have room for an over-sized oil filter (longer). Mine does, the 1.5T LYX in the '18 Equinox.
Napa Gold 7502 or Wix 57502 is my pick. Silicone ADBV, decent filtering with glass-paper media, higher burst pressure than PF64 & probably won't tear.....
Also, I just noticed the bypass valve is in the threaded end, which keeps the bypass oil from washing over the dirty side of the oil filter:
WIX-51515_SN.jpg

I don't think the Amsoil oil filters have the bypass "up-front" on the threaded end like the Wix and napa gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The GM 4-cylinders may have room for an over-sized oil filter (longer). Mine does, the 1.5T LYX in the '18 Equinox.
Napa Gold 7502 or Wix 57502 is my pick. Silicone ADBV, decent filtering with glass-paper media, higher burst pressure than PF64 & probably won't tear.....
Also, I just noticed the bypass valve is in the threaded end, which keeps the bypass oil from washing over the dirty side of the oil filter:
WIX-51515_SN.jpg
I don't think the Amsoil oil filters have the bypass "up-front" on the threaded end like the Wix and napa gold.

I have a Wix 57502 here in front of me and it has a bottom end bypass. Not that it matters, since the larger filter with the 22psi spec will rarely, if ever, go into bypass.

This design also allows for more media... which is a good thing.

I have a Wix 57502 here in front of me and it has a bottom end bypass. Not that it matters, since the larger filter with the 22psi spec will rarely, if ever, go into bypass. This design also allows for more media... which is a good thing.
"Bottom end" is at the threads, or at the dome end?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I have a Wix 57502 here in front of me and it has a bottom end bypass. Not that it matters, since the larger filter with the 22psi spec will rarely, if ever, go into bypass. This design also allows for more media... which is a good thing.
"Bottom end" is at the threads, or at the dome end?

Bottom end = dome end

If anyone is interested the UOA is posted. It will be updated with particle counts and TAN in the next 48 hours.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4715948/GM_Bulk_D1G2_5w30,_5K_Miles,_2#Post4715948

We can add the Mobil 1 filter to the safe list of PF64 alternatives now, as more than one person from the Corvette Forum has contacted Champion Labs and been told it's bypass is close to 22psi. Here is the latest response someone got:

Quote:
The M1-113A by-pass is set at 21 psid and we are warranting our filter for fit and function in your application and all other ones we show the M1-113A filter fitting. Some other filters used for Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, and other brands do have lower by-pass valve settings.

Paul Ankenbrandt | Catalog Editor | Champion Labs | o: 618-445-5638 |

Sorry to be backtracking again, but yet another person got an email response from Champion Laboratories and they were told the M1-113A has a bypass setting of 11-17psi! So it appears that the technicians there have absolutely no clue what the actual setting is! You get a different answer depending on who you talk to. So we can scratch that one off the list again, it's too risky to trust.
33.gif

Sorry to be backtracking again, but yet another person got an email response from Champion Laboratories and they were told the M1-113A has a bypass setting of 11-17psi! So it appears that the technicians there have absolutely no clue what the actual setting is! You get a different answer depending on who you talk to. So we can scratch that one off the list again, it's too risky to trust.
33.gif

If the bypass spec is not explicitly listed in the product specs by the manufacturer I would not trust it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back