AC Delco filters. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: irv
I haven't read anything about these filters and to be truthful, I forgot all about them until my BIL mentioned them last night while we were talking about vehicles.
Are these any good or they generally a filter to stay away from based on their reputation and/or cost?
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/filters/professional-oil-filter.html
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/filters/professional-classic-design-oil-filter.html

I'm not saying they are bad filters, just saying that likely a better filter or an equal filter can be purchased for less money, maybe?
In the first link above, the all Blue filter, back in the day, was the premium filter, but based on the info in both links, it sounds like that is no longer the case?

I don't mind spending money on quality parts but if something superior exists for less money, then that is where my money is going.
It reminds me of Yamalube. $21 bucks a litre for what? What makes it worth $21 dollars? Nothing, you are just paying for the name.

Agree! I quit AC Delco because of startup noise using them and my filter (AC Delco PF61) doesn't even have an ADBV.....lol

My under-the-hood world sounds nice and quiet using NAPA Gold, mid-tier Wix, Fram TGs. Will try the new Fram EGs with silicone ADBV next time. I would guess their rating will improve to 6K with silicone and that's how long my OCIs are.

It's real obvious GM cheapened those AC Delcos. For they worked perfectly until GM / A/C Delco started having financial issues about 10 years ago. I know! My Colorado is a 2004 and still in service. Thank you Isuzu, for help in design / construction work.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'm confident enough in their quality that I plan on running them on my new Corvette during the powertrain warranty period (7 years or 100,000 miles) and I might even continue running them after that as well. (if I did switch it would be to a Fram Ultra)

Does it use the UPF series?

Originally Posted By: webfors
The PF64 I opened had a lot of pleats, good bonding, quality construction. According to GM this filter has a high bypass and there's a TSB that has language warning against using any other filter. Since Cadillac provides free oil changes for 4 years with D1G2 spec'd oil, I'm going with that for warranty protection.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4572028/ACDelco_PF64_-_pics

My wife's Impala also comes with 4 free oil changes, but being anal, I will likely still do them myself. To take it one step further, (my analitity, if that's a word?) where my wife works at GM (office, here in Oshawa) Mills Motors will pick up her car during the day, take it to their dealership and do the oil change and return it while she works.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Unless you keep your vehcle from birth until death from old age, take advantage of those four free oil changes.

Your engine will never know or show the difference. What really matters is the length of those oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Unless you keep your vehcle from birth until death from old age, take advantage of those four free oil changes.

Your engine will never know or show the difference. What really matters is the length of those oil changes.

I hate the thoughts of someone else driving it and hate the thought of someone else doing the oil change. It would be different if I knew the person doing all that, but I don't.

Regardless, we shall see as I know many that work in the office with my wife use this service so if they have good stories, I may just take advantage of it?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Agree! I quit AC Delco because of startup noise using them and my filter (AC Delco PF61) doesn't even have an ADBV.....lol

My under-the-hood world sounds nice and quiet using NAPA Gold, mid-tier Wix, Fram TGs. Will try the new Fram EGs with silicone ADBV next time. I would guess their rating will improve to 6K with silicone and that's how long my OCIs are.

It's real obvious GM cheapened those AC Delcos. For they worked perfectly until GM / A/C Delco started having financial issues about 10 years ago. I know! My Colorado is a 2004 and still in service. Thank you Isuzu, for help in design / construction work.

I was never impressed with the engineering on my 2008 Colorado. It seemed like a typical flimsy Japanese truck that was difficult to work on. Timing Chain Job Colorado IMO fullsize is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Equipped with 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns.

They already fail my 20 micron requirement.

Yup, that 0.000393701 Inch delta is clearly the difference between a long and happy service life and a premature destiny as a rebuilder's core. #rolleyes #mechanicalhypochondria

My opinion: High confidence that the filters in question are suitable and fit for purpose.

Actually I'm waiting for the next filter Manufacturer to drop to 10 or 15 microns. Your oil is only as good as your filter keeps it. All debris causes wear.

Do not know if it is true , but I have read that particles below a specific size do not cause wear . They polish .

Sorry , can not remember that stated number .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Do not know if it is true , but I have read that particles below a specific size do not cause wear . They polish .

Sorry, can not remember that stated number .

Depends on what you're polishing, but looks like 3 microns and below is used for super fine polishing.
https://stellafane.org/tm/atm/mirror-refs/grit.html

Only issue inside the engine though it it's possible the minimum oil film thickness could be less than 3 microns, and in that case even those super small particles could damage the bearing surfaces. "Polishing" them is essentially wearing them out. Ideally, you never what the bearings to contact anything and always be separated with a clean film of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back