AC blower quits working on lower settings?

^ Yes, stuck on high speed is most common, but it also depends on which part of the resistor module failed. The most common is the thermal fuse, which would cut off all speeds going through it (and usually full speed still works because it bypasses that module) but as a vehicle ages, individual resistive elments in the module could develop high resistance and fail to perform as they should, too.

Either way, replacing the blower motor does not necessitate replacing the speed controller. There is no penalty to wait and see.

This is on a dodge ram. Sometimes you have to tap on the blower motor to get it to start spinning again. I've heard it can be the resistor, so I ordered a new one since that was cheaper, but the blower doesn't always blow as hard as it should and will typically stop working on settings 1 and 2. Is the blower motor shot or is it more likely that resistor?
Yeah, going bad.
Probably bearings and brushes.

Okay, new resistor is in and all 4 speeds work now. The new blower definitely blew harder than the old one even with the old resistor in, looked like the brushed were worn and it was the oem blower from 1999. The aftermarket one has a continental motor, so that's good I guess. Although the power wires were a different color and about 5" too short😒 and I had to cut the plastic cover so that cooling hose fit into the hole. THATS why you go oem

Okay, new resistor is in and all 4 speeds work now. The new blower definitely blew harder than the old one even with the old resistor in, looked like the brushed were worn and it was the oem blower from 1999. The aftermarket one has a continental motor, so that's good I guess. Although the power wires were a different color and about 5" too short😒 and I had to cut the plastic cover so that cooling hose fit into the hole. THATS why you go oem
The old resistor was busted off on one side

Yeah but I still think it was both the blower motor and the resistor. The new motor blew way harder when I compared the difference
I wanted to thank you for your post about this.. got me thinking about my own blower resistor in the Civic. Had replaced the blower fan a couple years ago but always complained that there wasn't that much air flow, it blew hard but the back seat always seemed hot, even with the a/c on. a/c is nice and cold.. then...

I checked the blower resistor and half of it's cracked! Not sure who did that, it wasn't me! This car was inheirited so not sure who was messing in there.. anyway.. I haven't tested it yet, but ordered a new one. So.. wanted you to know your post was a blessing to me! thanks! (y)

I wanted to thank you for your post about this.. got me thinking about my own blower resistor in the Civic. Had replaced the blower fan a couple years ago but always complained that there wasn't that much air flow, it blew hard but the back seat always seemed hot, even with the a/c on. a/c is nice and cold.. then...

I checked the blower resistor and half of it's cracked! Not sure who did that, it wasn't me! This car was inheirited so not sure who was messing in there.. anyway.. I haven't tested it yet, but ordered a new one. So.. wanted you to know your post was a blessing to me! thanks! (y)
Even the new one I ordered hada slight hairline crack, but I installed it anyways. The place I bought it from gave me a refund on it when I did it was broke. Mine old one was cracked in half too and I had a hard time getting it out

Even the new one I ordered hada slight hairline crack, but I installed it anyways. The place I bought it from gave me a refund on it when I did it was broke. Mine old one was cracked in half too and I had a hard time getting it out
Wow.. thanks for that info.. crazy that it happened to yours too, I kept wondering who cracked it! I'll make sure I look over the new one for any cracks.

Back