AAA - Effects of Top Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BJD78
I have seen the same tanker truck goes from station to station they will dump a load of fuel at HyVEE (not on top teir) list then down the street to unload fuel at Quik Trip (on the list) Maybe all fuel is top tier ?? Or Not.

Or tanker trucks have several different tanks. FYI, they typically have 2-4 separated tanks.

Last edited:
Yes, TT is highly recommended for DI. It keeps the injectors clean and spray pattern consistent.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Yes, TT is highly recommended for DI. It keeps the injectors clean and spray pattern consistent.

It's not really for the injectors. They operate at several thousand PSI, no carbon will stand up to that. It is mainly for carbon buildup on the pistons, head and valves (there is always some reversion).

Oh but it does, it gets right up inside them. The injector is only at high pressure when it fires once combustion is in progress the force of combustion forces the carbon up into the injector nozzle.
It accumulates behind the spaces between the nozzle holes where the pressure cant blow it out, it eventually begins to clog. I see it every day.

A few clogged Di injectors 2 different styles but all have the same issue. Top tier helps keep them clear.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I would like to know what the the model/type/design of the engine used?

One that typically has a lot of deposits? Or one that is historically low on deposits?

The Article says:

"At the time of this report, the preferred method for evaluating fuel deposits is the ASTM D6201 test [8],
which involves running the test fuel in a Ford 2.3L port fuel injected engine in a dynamometer test cell.
This particular engine test has been an industry standard for more than 15 fifteen years because the
orientation and temperature of the intake valves during the dynamometer test cycle accelerate intake
valve deposit formation.
This allows fuel marketers and vehicle manufacturers to screen different
gasoline detergent additive packages in only 100 hours of testing."

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I would like to know which brand is Fuel #5 (to buy) and #1 (to avoid)

Since the paper indicates the fuel was from South Texas and not a boutique fuel (Dallas / Houston areas)
I suspect the test was done at SWRI in San Antonio Texas.

https://www.swri.org/industries/fuels

What stations are available in San Antonio?
Shell, Chevron, Valero, Exxon, Phillips 66, HEB, Murphy USA, 7 Eleven (Listed on Gas Buddy in the zip code for SWRI 78238)

In the city of San Antiono TX - Sams Club, Step and Go, Murphy Express

That is as far as I can guess
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chester11
my local sunoco does not have any stickers on the pumps. odd because I thought sunoco was a licensed brand.

My Sunoco was bought out months ago. Sign still up.
Generic gas.
Stickers say ethanol free premium.
But it isn’t anymore as per employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back