AAA and alternatives

I have used AAA in the past but find their website and customer service to be awful. I am wondering if anyone has used a good alternative or is AAA really the best deal.

I have had AAA for 44 years.
I have found that the quality of customer service from them has degraded over that time.
However, anymore, "Customer service" is a true oxymoron.
Last time that we had to call, it was over a 2.5 hour wait to get a jump start ( If Mrs. Tdbo told me in advance that while I was in urgent care sicker than a dog, she would seize the opportunity to listen to the radio until she fully discharged the battery in the Pilot, I'd have brought my jump pack.)
I told her to leave it running. However, I digress.
I have found nothing that is as user friendly as AAA as an option.
My issue is that if something is local, I can probably find someone to do the job.
However, if I am on a trip, and have to deal with a disabled vehicle in possibly inhospitable environs, the last thing that I want to be doing is vetting services on the side of a busy interstate or highway.
Besides, I have had many opportunities to access the towing services of AAA, even on some extended tows. I've never had to pay beyond yearly membership.
Yes, I have had some horrible experiences with AAA. However, I've had some positive ones as well.
Until someone invents a better animal, I guess I'm staying.

Yes, it goes against your insurance. I posted in another thread about Lexis/Nexis reports. I pulled mine and every insurance call (lock-outs that my kids did) was on the Lexis/Nexis report. So yes, it is reported and tracked - at least by USAA.

In my view, insurance is for major events.
While I have no issue with accessing the coverage I pay for if it is in my best interests to do so, I don't feel the need to provide fodder for my insurance company to either raise my rates or cancel me.
Yes it counts as a claim. I asked my agent the question while he was trying to sell road coverage to me.
I'll stick with AAA or an independent service provider.
I have no desire to paint a target on my butt needlessly.

Yes, it goes against your insurance. I posted in another thread about Lexis/Nexis reports. I pulled mine and every insurance call (lock-outs that my kids did) was on the Lexis/Nexis report. So yes, it is reported and tracked - at least by USAA.
So in this case then likely a better deal to have AAA for towing protection vs. using the USAA IF they count it as a negative towards your premiums...that is unlikely (to me at least) but who knows.

Here is an example from my 52 page report ( Lexis/Nexis):

This first one is for $58.00. Every, single, claim - is on this Lexis/Nexis report. Regardless of how small. This is even one for zero dollars, where I called in to mention that my daughter (the same one above) was broadsided by a stop sign runner and I wanted to check on coverage. They listed that one too, and it wasn't even a claim.

IMG_6439.jpeg

IMG_6438.jpeg

So, AAA most likely won't be posted on this, but USAA will. Just be aware of what information is posted about you.

I also found a bunch of errors in this report, and it's taking forever to get them fixed. Seems they don't "believe" me. Even though it's not my address, or email, or phone number. Sigh.

Last edited:
I have no doubt it's recorded, the question is does USAA for example say "ok, 2 tows this month, we are raising premiums"? I don't believe this can be like an at-fault accident etc.
You know, that's an excellent question. Don't we have some insurance guys on the forum?

Maybe they could chime in on this.

I do know that my nearby neighbor was robbed twice in five years, and he had USAA. He was dropped after the second robbery - received a certified letter telling him that. And the new neighbor that moved into the house had USAA also, and they would not insure the house. He bought insurance from State Farm.

So the question by TiGeo is a good one. Also, does it go with the property, the person, or both?

I have had AAA for 44 years.

Dude, you should like make a commercial for AAA

If Mrs. Tdbo told me in advance that while I was in urgent care sicker than a dog, she would seize the opportunity to listen to the radio until she fully discharged the battery in the Pilot, I'd have brought my jump pack.

I keep mine in my vehicle at all times. Never can tell when someone might need a jump!
thumbsup2.gif

Back