AAA and alternatives

I have used AAA in the past but find their website and customer service to be awful. I am wondering if anyone has used a good alternative or is AAA really the best deal.

By CS do you mean response time when you need a tow? You often get the same contractors with multiple organizations so the dispatch times will be comparable.

AAA, FWIW, has regional offices, so your KY "version" could suck while someone across the country will have good experiences.

I don't keep any AAA or similar services but I can tell you from tons of experience that they all suck. My shop deals with vehicles getting towed in and I hear everytime how the tow truck promised a certain time yet doesn't make it - sometimes missing 3 times! Also damage to cars happens a few times month as well. One tow operator pulled and secured the car at the lower control arm which bent it like a letter C. Then once they are here they can't even back up or drive well.

We’ve had them about 5 years and have been happy with them. I gift my parents a membership every year for my own peace of mind as much as theirs since they are elderly.

Probably 3 or 4 service calls between us during that time no complaints.

I think other companies (some other insurance companies and dealerships) have similar services and they likely contract out to similar providers in the same area. My AAA services so far have been reasonable for my expectation. It is not like my dad but got my situation taken care of.

I've had bad experiences with tow truck drivers deciding that they know why a car needs a new battery, the last time one that was a 3 month old AGM (fan relay stuck, running the battery down). I have on my and all the kids I give cards to each year, no battery replacement authorized. Other than that, when I needed a tow, they were there.

I had a tow from AAA last year. The guy came from a long way out because I needed a long-haul tow back to the shop I use. But he did secure the car with tow strap-like material but it held onto the tires, then he tightened the car down to the bed. Very cool, it's the same way I've see Carvana deliver their cars. The really nice tow truck drive told me AAA is specifying that for all tow trucks that are under AAA's contract! Finally @GMBoy no more stupidly bent lower control arms!! OR how about I saw a tow driver try to pull the car (mom's car) up on the bed by the fwd axle shafts!! I almost came to blows with this guy.. I got him to do it right.. by the TOW hook, duh..

but at least there is hope that AAA is getting smarter making them use the tire straps to hold it down!

What is the perceived need for these services? I can see how it could have been useful before cell phones, to have one 1-800 number you can call for free from a payphone, but why do people find AAA so useful these days?

Now people have the ability to easily look up tow truck companies and read reviews from their smart phones. Also, if the company they call says there will be too long of a wait, they could call someone else. Why would someone want to be held hostage by just one company?

Is it really the surprise expense that people are worried about? I could see if a tow truck was a few thousand bucks, but they usually aren't.

It surprises me how many people feel like they need these services.

How about you, spk2000? Why do you feel like you need a service such as AAA?

Last edited:
My family discovered AAA years ago when my daughter lived in Texas. Her car turned into a, will it make it home type of vehicle. She was in college 1800 miles away, so when it broke down there was nothing we could do for her. Same deal when my son's car died in a low parking garage at college. Made the call and they took care of it. We have used it for all types of mechanical problems from when a starter decides to quit, and when the fuel pump in my explorer died. I've used it when I had a flat on my motorcycle 100 miles from home, to taking my motorcycle to the dealer after an accident. You call the number on the card, tell them where you are and what's going on, then they tell you approximately when someone will be there. We went with the 100 mile towing plan. For the few bucks it costs, it's worth it to me.,,

Last edited:
We have the roadside towing etc thru State Farm. It is <$3/month per vehicle. Can't complain and have used it a couple times for towing and jumps. Maybe something to look at if you don't want to keep AAA.

I don't keep any AAA or similar services but I can tell you from tons of experience that they all suck.

AAA is not the towing company. All that AAA is doing when you call for a tow is putting the word out that you need a tow to numerous towing companies in your area at the same time.

If it takes the tow truck a long time to get there or they damage your car... that's on the tow truck company not on AAA

On mine, I think I get 2 fritos per year

My stuff runs so good, I don't ever need towing but it can be used to help others with.

To the OP's question - I had USAA and I just bought AAA premium (I'll explain more below).

Here's the review of the situation I posted on one of the services for the tow rating:

"I very highly recommend this towing company. He restored my belief that there are still good tow operators out there!
The company sent out a person on a Saturday night at 8:00 PM to help us on the side of the road - In the pouring rain. Awesome Service!

Arrived when he said he would and he provided excellent communication the whole time. His roll-back looked brand new and worked perfect.
He towed us 50 miles - from the edge of the NC/SC border to Florence, SC. The rain was horrible that night, but he was conscientious and very mindful of the weather and the conditions as he towed our vehicle.

He kept us and our car safe during the drive, even stopping once in the pouring rain to check on our car because he heard something. There was no problem found, but he stopped to check! Wow, that is paying attention and taking care of your customer!

Again, I highly recommend this company!" That was my "review" post.

Back Story: Daughter was driving to a concert about 250 miles away. She stopped to fill up, and about twenty miles later the car lost power and died on the side of the road. She was 150 miles away when she called me. I got in my car and went that way; took me about 2 hours. By that time, she had called an Uber and rode the rest of the way (Uber was $90.00 btw for a 100 mile ride).

So I got to the car and I could not fix it on the side of the road. Called USAA (Max tow range 50 miles) and they arranged for a wrecker. Took a while to find a service because of the bad weather, but he showed up and did a great job.

Now, why I'm getting AAA as well. USAA only towed 50 miles and I needed 150 miles. The cost to tow 150 miles was quoted at $950.00 by two different companies. So, got the car towed the max 50 miles and left in a safe, secure location. I went home (got home around 0100). Called tow companies once I woke up in the morning for the final leg and they all wanted between $700.00 to $800.00 each (seems high compared to original, but there is a "setup" fee involved and it makes sense). So I rented a U-haul and a car trailer and I got the car home.

If I had AAA when that happened, the tow could have taken the car the whole way (200 mile tow coverage). Instead, it took two "legs", one of which I had to do myself.

So, I bought AAA just two weeks ago to make sure she is never stranded "too far away". Peace of mind.

Oh, and found out the reimbursement for the tow operator doesn't start until he reaches the car. Paid per mile for the tow only. Time to car, and miles to car not paid by USAA towing service to the tow operator. The guy who came in the pouring rain, late at night - didn't get paid for 100 miles of travel because he came from 50 miles away. And he wouldn't take a tip either.

So yeah, I would recommend getting USAA and AAA if you might break down, have a flat, need a tow more than 50 miles from home.

@97K15004WD thanks for that story.. ya it's nice to hear about the good people out there in the world! Reminded me of the long haul tow truck driver who helped me out last year (really nice guy, was happy to drive that far which is what took so long (6 hours) to find someone willing, AAA covers up to 200 miles on some plans, exactly what you needed. It's why I still have them. I think that tow I got was around 110miles and found out that if I didn't have AAA it would've been around (like you said) $750-800! ouch..

AAA is lousy, but tow operators are thieves.

When the fan on my 350SD broke, I needed a tow. Hours turned into more hours, which turned into leave your car and we’ll get it tomorrow from AAA!

Called a few tow operators and got one to do it, they were just sitting around, quoted me $275 for like 20 miles. But I had probably waited six hours at that point.

I went after AAA for that, and they reimbursed me. I was not in the boonies…

The other time I had a bad spare and was on the side of I-95 in MD. Was just inside the 100 mile range for AAA. Resulted in an all nighter because the time estimate was hours off from when they came. I could see the tow truck in real time, in an apartment complex, at a restaurant. Never coming. Finally did and the truck was a single cab with two guys, for a 100 mile tow. The truck had a CEL, a dpf regen failure, and the guy drove excessively fast. I feared for my life with that idiot doing 85-90 with my car on the flatbed behind us. Turned into an all-nighter affair with that stupid situation with their “scheduling”.

Last edited:
I just use my insurance roadside where I've never had an issue for terrible wait times.

I just have towing through auto insurance - USAA. Used it many times....always wondered if they are considered claims w/r to your history. Beyond towing, I don't see much value with the jump starting and lock outs...who can even lock themselves out in a modern car now? I carry jump boxes in all of our vehicles so no need for that either.

AAA is not the towing company. All that AAA is doing when you call for a tow is putting the word out that you need a tow to numerous towing companies in your area at the same time.

If it takes the tow truck a long time to get there or they damage your car... that's on the tow truck company not on AAA
I understand that and you are correct. I have seen various tow companies working under contract for AAA but I have also had AAA logo trucks that were AAA and not a contract company. My original contract was directed at the tow companies not AAA. AAA has a use for some people and works well for them I understand. My only thing is I can change a tire or swap a battery in less time than waiting on AAA or similar to arrive. But again - some people cannot or won't touch their car and I understand AAA is for those folks.

I just have towing through auto insurance - USAA. Used it many times....always wondered if they are considered claims w/r to your history. Beyond towing, I don't see much value with the jump starting and lock outs...who can even lock themselves out in a modern car now? I carry jump boxes in all of our vehicles so no need for that either.
Yes, it goes against your insurance. I posted in another thread about Lexis/Nexis reports. I pulled mine and every insurance call (lock-outs that my kids did) was on the Lexis/Nexis report. So yes, it is reported and tracked - at least by USAA.

Back