A survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Seeing this thread made me wonder,when did real metal bumpers go away being replaced by plastic "bumper covers"? And why?

It all started with the 1973 model year. NHTSA and congress implemented regulations that required a 5 mph safety bumper.

Interesting side fact with regards to this...

A bunch of power stations that were built in the 1980s started suffering a phenomenon called "flow accelerated corrosion" in the 1990s. Pleasant Prarie was one of the ones that awoke the industry, when two workers walked out of a lift and were scalded to death...
http://journaltimes.com/news/corroded-pi...6bfffcd1be.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasant_Prairie_Power_Plant

The accelerated corrosion process is a surface oxide is formed, and is washed off, reforms, is washed off, and never forms a stable passive layer.

Turns out that power station metals historically included a lot of scrap...that scrap had bumper bars from the hay day of the automotive industry and doped the steel with a tiny amount of Chrome.

Steel made in the 80s wasn't doped...no-one realised that the issue was an issue, as steel ALWAYS behaved the way that it used to...that lead to feedwater failures all over the world.

We HAD it at Wallerawang, but it was limited to thermocouple pockets...we found that if we sampled the metal and had a tiny little bit of chrome, the process was stable...no chrome, we cut them out.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Seeing this thread made me wonder,when did real metal bumpers go away being replaced by plastic "bumper covers"? And why?

It all started with the 1973 model year. NHTSA and congress implemented regulations that required a 5 mph safety bumper. Some of the earliest safety bumpers were still chrome, but mounted on shock absorbers. But eventually all the manufacturers went to plastic bumpers.

The earliest safety bumpers were downright hideous. The Corvette plastic bumpers were awful. One could see all kinds of ripples or waves in them.

I knew people that swore they would never buy a new car after the new cars with safety bumpers were introduced.

My 1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham still had chrome bumpers but with added vertical pieces which had rubber on them, resembled police style push bars front & back at the time. Personally, I liked this as the law enforcement use of Mopar was part of my fascination with them.

The bumper standards were relaxed when a Federal court ruled that the NHTSA nannies couldn't mandate bumpers that prevented cosmetic damage that was unrelated to safety equipment. Later the standard was reduced from 5 mph to 2.5 mph- partially as a reaction to the push to reduce vehicle weight and thus improve fuel economy.

Gotta love thread drift! 3 pages of interesting stuff from drag cars to bumpers because I noticed a lowly Chevette in a parking lot! Carry on!
thumbsup2.gif

Those cars are awful but like cockroaches survive. A friend got a free one that consumed about a quart every 1000 miles which he topped religiously so he never changed the oil in 2 years in high school. A case of NAPA oil was in his trunk.

That appears to be a late 1970's version of that awful car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back