A cold morning in Southern Vermont Green Mountains.

Its been minus 27.2 since 3 am. I have lived here for 20 years, and this is the coldest I have personally witnessed.

Cold_morning_Feb042023.jpg

Whoa!! I hope your heating oil tank is full. New England is predicted to have record cold.

Stay warm my friend.

-13F here in central MA. I believe my boiler/baseboards are at max capacity for the first-floor zone (lots of cathedral ceilings, doors, windows, and skylights) because the thermostat is at 64F and it's been slowly losing ground overnight. It's currently 61F in that zone. The rest of the house with regular ceilings is fine and maintaining 64F. This has never happened in the 8 years I've lived here.

FWIW...it's 64F because my wife is going through "the change" and constantly complaining how "stiflingly hot" it is in here at 64F.

The tank was filled on Thursday, and our storage capacity is 660 gallons of No 2 oil.

Our money will run out before our oil

We also have frigid climate Mitsubishi heat pump mini splits. They were still pumping out heat at zero degrees, but we shut them down and fired up the oil hot water heating system. Below zero, its more economically efficient than the heat pumps.

My main concern is, we had to leave one car out in the driveway. I hope its anti freeze did the job.

The tank was filled on Thursday, and our storage capacity is 660 gallons of No 2 oil.

Our money will run out before our oil

We also have frigid climate Mitsubishi heat pump mini splits. They were still pumping out heat at zero degrees, but we shut them down and fired up the oil hot water heating system. Below zero, its more economically efficient than the heat pumps.

My main concern is, we had to leave one car out in the driveway. I hope its anti freeze did the job.
My Bosch central heat pump can theoretically go down to -5F but we have a dual-fuel setup and it goes to the boiler at 15F. I've gone as low as 5F and it still produces heat but it runs nearly non-stop.

I hope the car in the driveway isn't the 2022 Corvette in your signature! I would put a battery tender on whatever is sitting outside in that kind of temperature. I hope it warms up for you in the next week or so.

I hope its anti freeze did the job.
If your concerned about it - don't start it until it warms up a little. If it has some antifreeze but not enough, it will turn to a sort of slush. It shouldn't freeze solid and crack anything, but it could be really hard on the pump on startup.

Pull the rad cap and have a look at least. If its a pure liquid you should be good.

I saw that kind of temp in Stowe a few times, but it was an always a few degrees colder up there. Wonder what the Northeast Kingdom was like this morning?

My ancient 4 Runner, or my Volvo wagon, back in the day, with Mobil 1 5W30 in the crankcase, would fire right up in this weather, but there was a great deal more mechanical noise than usual.

The oil was good, but the rest of the engine was quite unhappy when it approached 30 below. I would let them idle for several minutes before putting them in gear…

We do too, its the kids car. I think today we will drive him to work instead. Why? we have two inside the garage, where it is much warmer, and why not?

His car also tossed a CEL yesterday and I have not checked it yet. I think it is the intake manifold thing that crv’s have, probably has to cone apart again and get cleaned. Guess what I don’t want to look at until it is a balmy 37 tomorrow?

You caught the edge of the polar vortex that dropped down to eastern Canada. Here’s a screen shot of a mention of it on Monday and this morning’s USA temp map. Stay warm, it will be over quickly!

50A5FA00-F8D0-4394-B3CE-0CFECA4F5346.jpeg
99972B60-F57D-46CA-8270-E670A2F51DCE.jpeg

I saw that kind of temp in Stowe a few times, but it was an always a few degrees colder up there. Wonder what the Northeast Kingdom was like this morning?

My ancient 4 Runner, or my Volvo wagon, back in the day, with Mobil 1 5W30 in the crankcase, would fire right up in this weather, but there was a great deal more mechanical noise than usual.

The oil was good, but the rest of the engine was quite unhappy when it approached 30 below. I would let them idle for several minutes before putting them in gear…
Just fired up the Tundra at -14F and it was a little unnerving for the following reasons:

1. Cranked for 6 or 7 seconds and it usually cranks for 1-2 but understandable

2. There was a very loud whining noise I'd never heard before for the first 5 of the 6 or 7 seconds it cranked. This was the most concerning - never heard anything remotely like it from any vehicle.

3. Clearly blue smoke for the first 10 seconds after starting followed by the normal white. This engine has 35K miles on it and not a hint of oil usage.

Nothing about that was normal.

Back