A dusting of snow in California's Central Coast Wine Country

The morning of Feb 25 2023. We've lived here for 20 years and this is only the second time it's happened. We are only 11 miles from the coast but are at an elevation of 918 feet.

Scott

IMG_7525.jpeg
IMG_7528.jpeg
IMG_7530.jpeg

Lots of needed rain here in the Cent Valley. :D
Excellent! Our little town of 7,000 is at 136% of normal rainfall so far this year (July 1 - June 31), and more is on the way. The wildflower bloom on Hwy 58 from Santa Margarita to the Carrizo Plains should be spectacular this year.

Scott

Carrizo Bloom.jpg
Superbloom 1.jpg
IMG_2067 2.jpg

Last edited:
The morning of Feb 25 2023. We've lived here for 20 years and this is only the second time it's happened. We are only 11 miles from the coast but are at an elevation of 918 feet.

Scott

View attachment 142007View attachment 142008View attachment 142009
Greater Victoria has a couple of snows like that every year, and then a few inches every few years. In 7 years we've had 2 or 3 real snowfalls.

A snowfall like that is a good chance to see if there is localized melting somewhere on your roof (ie a heat energy leak). That roof looks pretty good.

Since you mentioned wine country, typically vines are cultivated in warmer southern climates. What effect will all this snow have on harvests, or will it have none?

Since you mentioned wine country, typically vines are cultivated in warmer southern climates. What effect will all this snow have on harvests, or will it have none?
I doubt the dusting of snow will have any effect at all. Winter temps frequently drop to the high teens here.

Most vegetation in the area still looks dormant. That's the key. Had things already started to leaf out or blossom the cold would have had a negative effect.

Scott

Some genius left our Ford and Mazda freight outside this morning so I had to quick pull everything inside in the pouring rain. So far I think everything is ok, but some half destroyed boxes that I will have to either file a claim on or sell at a discount.

Some genius left our Ford and Mazda freight outside this morning so I had to quick pull everything inside in the pouring rain. So far I think everything is ok, but some half destroyed boxes that I will have to either file a claim on or sell at a discount.
While watching the local news during dinner last night your area looked like it was going to get nailed.

Scott

Makes sense. Kind of like dormant rose bushes can blossom in the spring again. And they don't get killed off by snow.

I doubt the dusting of snow will have any effect at all. Winter temps frequently drop to the high teens here.

Most vegetation in the area still looks dormant. That's the key. Had things already started to leaf out or blossom the cold would have had a negative effect.

Scott

While watching the local news during dinner last night your area looked like it was going to get nailed.

Scott
It rained pretty decent here. I decided to be an idiot and drove up to my friend's place in Santa Ynez for dinner. Thankfully I took the F-350 and my mom was thoroughly enjoying sitting up high and trying to get all the semis to honk their horns.

What temperature was this coldest day yesterday? Doesn't the area you live in, normally have pretty moderate temperatures, year round?
We are in a cold spell right now. At noon here in Los Gatos, it is 49*. Burr! Mid to higher 60's is normal for this time of year in Silicon Valley. SF is always colder, as it is right on the mighty Pacific and the Bay.

We grew Concord grapes in both Winnipeg and Edmonton where it occasionally gets down to -40 C/F and can stay -20 C for weeks on end.

They make a lovely screen and produce lots of grapes (and abundant grape leaves for the nice older women who came to collect a few for their ethnic cookery). Concord grape vines are pretty tough. But I doubt that wine-making grapes could take that much cold.

Back